Can I tell the hospital to stuff off??

kittenmama

Reaction score
Hiya,

I've just posted this in third tri but the suggested i try you lovely ladies too :)

Apologies if this is a bit long but my midwife has disappeared and I need some sensible answers lol!

The back ground is that I'm currently 35+3 pregnant with a straightforward pregnancy so far apart from a couple of positive glucose samples from when I had flapjack/chocolate binges before remembering I'm due at the MW's in half an hour and needed to produce a sample.

I had a random glucose test and it came back negative. I was on track for a home birth until I went to a 34 week scan and they said my baby's abdomen circumference is in the 95th centile. This coupled with my +glucose samples must mean I have GD (they ignored the negative blood sample) and was therefore high risk.

I've since had another random blood test and one which tracks glucose in the blood for the past 3 months and both are negative, so no GD just a fat baby but they're saying it's highly unlikely I can go for a home birth now as the baby might be too fat.

My FH is normal, and the same sonographer messed up my friends abdominal circumference measurement a few weeks ago saying she had the same problem but then had to correct herself after a subsequent scan. She had some problems getting our AC as baby was scrunched up.

This will be my second baby, the first I delivered under consultant care as he decided to pop out at 36+3 but was 6lb 9oz and needed no extra care and I had him with only gas and air.

Am I within my rights to ignore what my hospital are saying and stay at home when labour starts (assuming it's after 37 weeks), I'm confident that they're being ridiculously over cautious and I hated every second of my consultant labour - on my back and in stirrups just do they could get a good look

I'm only 20 mins from my hospital if I need to get there and it's making me really angry that they've decided I need all this unnecessary intervention. At the end of the day a baby is going to pop out of me and I'd prefer to do it on my terms!!!

Sorry for the length and the rant but I needed to vent lol! Am I 'allowed' to ignore them and do what I think is best?

im supose to be consultant led. and i told them to stuff off! they were happy. well the head midwife was. the lower ones wernt so much. just said, if something goes wrong please let us no. so i will. but. untill something goes wrong that worries ME, i will be staying home away from them interfering soNso's! =)

You can indeed go against what they are saying, its totally up to you. When you start labouring just call them and tell them you will be staying at home and they will have to send someone out to you. You know your own body so trust your instincts.:hugs:

Thank you very much ladies! I was talking this through with my partner and we both agree that it seems like most of the Drs we've seen would prefer everyone to give birth on their schedule with their rules like a bloody assembly line grrr! I'm crossing my fingers (and legs) that this little one will stay put until at least 37 weeks otherwise I'll have to be consultant led even though he's looking like he'll be a big boy already.

I'm 95% sure I'll be going against medical advice & staying at home. The thought of having to go to hospital is worrying me more that their 'risks' - that no-one can give me any statistics on.

Apparently I have excess amniotic fluid so that makes me high risk, but the fact that it was only picked up when I was sent for a scan due to measuring SMALL makes me doubt things. Accrording to my last scan baby is on 90th percentile & I have excess water, yet I still look very average & outwardly have no symtoms of excess water at all.

I actually spoke to a lovely MW who told me off the record that it's 'your right to birth at home regardless of what you are advised by the consultants'. She just said make sure you make an informed decision. Good luck x

It is your choice - if you want a homebirth, then they can't stop you :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->