Can I use a male name as my girls name?

Shabutie

Mum to Amara & #2 on way
Reaction score
So just thinking, as you do...

I just stumbeled across the name Ezra. I think it is beautiful and has the 'ah' sound at the end, which I like. However, looking it up, seems its a male name derived from the bible.

Could it pass as a girls name?

So the full name would be: Ezra Pamela Terry

ETA: My only other girl name I like is Lyra. Which so you prefer?

:flower:

Of course you can, she's your daughter! :haha:

It is a male name but I have always thought Ezra had a more feminine sound to it anyway. Some names switch gender well, others don't but I think you're safe with that one.

Having said that I have a friend who just called her daughter Alisha Les (Les after her father) so it's just about what you like!

I wouldn't personally. Because it's an unusual/older name people may think you were simply mistaken/didn't bother to look into it. There are enough famous male Ezras to make it easy to spot, too.

I think of it as male but you can use any name really, I like Wayne for a girl lol

if you live in a Jewish community it may cause problems though as it will be recognized as male

As far as I know we dont lol. I actually dont know of any famous Ezra's.

I just wanted to gage peoples views of it. I think it sounds much more feminine to me, and thought it went well with my daughters name. Can just imagine an Amara and Ezra :haha:

Sure, you can. My mom did and I bullied something terrible for it. To each their own though.

I like Amara and Ezra!

To be fair names like Jamie, Billy/Billie, Bobby, Bryn, Rhys/Reece/Reese, Sam and Riley are all traditionally male names yet no one says anything about those. They don't think their parents 'didn't bother to look into it!'. I know a girl called Ryan and that doesn't bother anyone.

I don't know any famous Ezras either :shrug: maybe I'm just a hermit :haha:

Anyone who's studied English at A level or above or has generally read a bit of poetry will have heard of Ezra Pound

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Pound

Ive never heard of him. I did English language though, so could be the reason why.

whilst i like it, would it not get annoying for her all through her life to have the "oh i thought you were going to be a man" element to job interviews and so on.

I love Lyra what about Elsa it also has that Ah sound x

Azra, Isra, Eira and Esra are girls names

name suggestions:

Myra
Alara
Dara
Allegra
Cara
Cora
Sara
Clara
Elora
Petra
Sierra
Lara
zara
Amara
Tara
Fara
Lora
Tyra
Nora
Flora
Electra

I think you could easily use it, regardless of famous male Ezra's. There are famous male Ryan's and yet people use that as a girl's name.

However, I believe Amara and Lyra go much better together! What a lovely combo, you have fab taste.

One vote for Ezra for a girl :thumbup: or what about changing it a little (Ezrah)?

I love Lyra. And I agree, Amara and Lyra go really well together.

If you stick with Ezra, I would change the spelling so it looks more feminine.

Thanks ladies, it sounds like such a beautiful name, but seems way to feminine for a male.

I do still really like Lyra, Ive loved it for ages, just wondering if I can find any other names just as pretty. I am a bit fussy lol

I like Ezra, and I like male names for girls!
I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and I wouldnt have said it was a male name in the first place (never heard of it before) looks feminine to me

I wouldn't, but Ezra is becoming very popular here and I have a few friends with sons called Ezra

I think you could easily use it, regardless of famous male Ezra's. There are famous male Ryan's and yet people use that as a girl's name.

However, I believe Amara and Lyra go much better together! What a lovely combo, you have fab taste.

where as all names to an extent are unisex and at some point cross boundaries I dont think calling a girl Ryan is common or has ever been a thing... its very much a well recognized male name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->