• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can I wear my baby too much?

Monzter79

Reaction score
On my first pediatrician visit (pediatrician came to my house, awesome!)- he mentioned that my baby should rest in a quiet dark place. No noise, etc. He said that even though we COULD learn to sleep through all kinds of things, we still wouldn't be getting adequate rest- which is VERY important for a developing brain.

I like to wear my baby, but should I lay him down if he falls asleep? I'd rather wear him. He sleeps in his wrap too, but I'm worried he won't get quality rest that way... I have been fighting myself a bit on this. It feels better to me right now to wear him as much as possible, but is that okay for him? What do you guys think?

I just don't know! So many different views on everything. FTM head is ready to explode! ;-)

I wore my baby for every nap until he was almost 3 months. Do what comes natural to you. I don't think you can wear him too much, its good for both of you!

Your baby got quite adequate rest inside you sleeping, wearing them when they are young is the same movements, I would think it would be best!

My daughter could sleep through anything except being put down in a cot, so for the first five months she was worn for just about every nap, haha.

I held my LO for naps until she was over two years old. she got great sleeps on me and would never have slept by herself!

Yes you can wear your baby too much, but it's not something you need to worry about. Wearing your baby "too much," means that you're not responding to your baby's non-verbal indications that they do not want to be held. In terms of a quiet place to sleep, that might be helpful for adults, but babies are made to sleep on or near their mothers.

My daughter could sleep through anything except being put down in a cot, so for the first five months she was worn for just about every nap, haha.

Your baby is going to sleep better with you than away from you. They're brains are wired to respond to un-safe situations, leading to situations like Larkspur's experience. Even babies who do appear to sleep soundly in a quiet dark space aren't necessarily responding in a healthy way. For example, having sleep regulated by the breathing patterns (and other un-known factors) of the mother can help decrease risk of SIDS. Also, they've shown that even babies who appear calm, have elevated stress hormones when sleeping away from their caregiver.

Also, some people claim their child sleeps better in a separate room; however, that deep level of sleeping isn't necessarily what a baby needs as it may interfere with a baby's ability to rouse which may be associated with SIDS.

I held my son to sleep for most naps when he was small. He let me know when it was time to start putting him in a dark, quiet place to sleep when he was four months old, as he could no longer fall asleep with me wearing or holding him because it was too much stimulation.

My 2 year old still falls asleep in the carrier! My husband is in charge of nap time and he uses the carrier outside on a walk to get her to sleep, rain or shine. He then sets her down to sleep and turns on a nearby bathroom fan for white noise. The room isn't the slightest bit dark and she naps for a couple hours. When I get her to sleep at night, I do it in a dark room but I'm with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->