Can Melatonin affect from getting pregnant?

rustyswife828

TTC 2nd miracle baby
Reaction score
I take 3 melatonin pills to help me sleep.....Will that affect me from getting pregnant? I take it every night and I've been taking it for a while! I've researched that it may have an intake of fertility...Anybody heard of that?

Melatonin is one of the hormones that controls the female reproductive organs, it helps to tell the body when to menstruate and how often to do it, you could quite possibly be throwing it all out by using it, and it can stop you from ovulating all together. Any sort of hormone is going to have an effect on the natural balance of your bodies own hormones and shouldnt be taken unless it is to correct a hormone deficiency, they should only be taken under supervision of a doctor too if your ttc.

Thanks! I needed that! I've been taking that for 6 months now! No wonder I haven't gotten pregnant yet!

I really didn't think about it affecting fertility until I realized that is the only thing I take so I looked it up..and there it was!...

Ive read some it can and some it doesnt, I think it will all relate to the dose you are taking too, but in the end your adding more of a hormone thats already in your body so it bound to throw off the balance in some people. Your not suppose to take it while pregnant too, so not advisable when ttcng since you never know when you might conceive. Hopefully that means your bfp isnt too far away now!:hugs:

Rustyswife- I am confused yuou posted in first tri that you were 5 1/2 weeks pregnant?

If you have very recently experianced a loss, your cycles my take a long time to regulate i know mine are still a bit off and my loss was Feb 2009 !

Im getting a bit confused now Rustyswife, I went and had a sticky at some of your past posts and you said you had already been ttc for two months back in May 09, but in another post just recently you said only 3 months, perhaps you need to see a doc now to get their take on whats going on with you.

I think Wannab is giving good advice. One minute you are pregnant, the next your not. Your partner is up to no good and the next hes not, and this has all been going on for 6 mths plus. It makes it very hard to take these questions seriously, albeit everyone wants to help.

As Wannab says go and have a chat with the gp, and maybe start temping so that you have a note of whats going on. Good luck!

surely if you read the pack instructions it will say if you shouldn't take while pregnant or ttc? were you prescribed them? if so have you told your gp youre ttc? if you weren't prescribed them did you ask the pharmacist?

Hey girls! Sorry for the mix up! I've had some problems with my hubby but we're in a better relationship now, plus I got a false positive...something I ate had a hormone in that triggered a false postitive!! UGH!! I am going to stop taking medications from now on!!

Thanks for all that info WannaB! I use melatonin pretty regularly and never realized it could affect TTC or my pregnancy. I remember asking about it once many years ago and my dr said it was fine in moderation (like most things). Very informative post, thanks!

Rustyswife, what kind of hormone did you eat that caused a false positive? I didn't know there were such foods? :rolleyes:

She must have eaten some drugs that have the pregnancy hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them, as this is the only "food" that can cause false results in home pregnancy tests, other than chemical pregnancies, and incorect use of a test.

Interesting!

You cant eat something that makes a false positive on a hpt! :rofl:You can get false +'s if you get hcg shots with IVF but thats all I know of.:wacko:

Wow.. This is an old post!

I've been taking melotonin and this popped up.. Guess I do need to stop taking it now!

Just wanted to clarify.. We haven't had a :baby: yet and it's been almost 3 years since we haven't had any protection..

Seen my doctor last week and he's running all kinds of test on me! I think I'm ovulating right now due to the temp drop and my CM..

How are you ladies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->