can my employer make me come in for mandatory training whilst on maternity leave

honey915

mum to 2 little boys
Reaction score
My deputy said to me she will let me know when there are mandatory training sessionns being held so I can come while I'm off on maternity. we get paid for training when expected to come in but surely I don't have to come in while I'm on maternity because that's classed as return to work? What's the law on this does anyone know?

You can have up to 10 paid keeping in touch days during maternity leave I think it is but I'm pretty sure they can't MAKE you.
xx

As a pp says there are KIT days, however, an employer doesn't HAVE to give them to you (I think) therefore I very much doubt you HAVE to go in either, I'm not certain but I would very much think they can't, imagine if you were breastfeeding?

Just read our policy and ours states we can only attend with Line Mngt agreement and if declared as a KIT day. So I'm going to guess that they cannot make you.

Ok thanks ladies. Yes I will be breastfeeding which is why I panicked when she said it. There's no way I could leave a small baby who was solely dependant on me for food! Cheeky cow that she is! Such a jobsworth this one!

Plus not everyone would have childcare, I don't live near family so rely on nursery but obviously you can't just pop them in for a day as childcare wouldn't be sorted till end of mat leave.

They cant make you but the KIT days are designed to benefit both sides so you might want to think twice about refusing to go in.

Just be straight with them and tell them you'll be breastfeeding. Ask if they are willing to have baby there with you and if they are prepared to provide facilities for you to feed him/her. I'm guessing the answer will be no... In which case, all you need to do is tell them it won't be possible for you to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->