Can someone explain?

rachmumtobe

Reaction score
I haven't had my first scan yet but I know when I do they check for downs syndrome. I didn't have the blood test with my little boy and so I'm unsure when they do it? And where? Is it done along with the scan or just if the scan picks something up?

If you're in the uk they do bloods at 10 weeks and scan at 12 weeks :)

Hi Hun, I'm in the uk and I had bloods for other things at my booking in appt. but the screening bloods for downs were taken when I had my scan with dd. They combine information for both so it's all done together :) xx

Yeah I'm in the uk. I'm 12 weeks now and had blood took last week at my first midwife appointment. I'm now waiting on a letter for my scan, so I'll probably be 13-14 weeks by time it happens. The midwife has gave me a Down's syndrome screening service letter/bag for blood, which i'm presuming is to take to hospital with me?

Yes I had mine done at the same time as the 12 week scan X

Ah thank you ladies. I definitely didn't have it with my Son but I don't think the midwife understood that it was because I didn't want it, as she just said she doesn't think the test was offered then and that's why I wouldn't have had it. I hate blood tests and so now I'll be dreading the scan day x

I didn't have it done with my last 4 (eldest they didn't even have the 12 week scan back then lol).
But as I'm a little bit older I decided to have it, they took my bloods after my 12 week scan.

In my experience the nurses are really lovely at the scan when they take bloods! Try not to worry Hun xxxx

The UK combined test is relatively new, I had it with my DD 2 years ago and at my booking appointment this time around the midwife asked me '2012? Did you have the combined downs screening test last time?' which must mean it was not standard much before then.

At my hospital you have the 12 week scan and then go and have bloods done immediately afterwards.

My first mw at 8 weeks rountine bloods done.

At 12wk scan i will be having bloods done for downs.

They do bloods at booking appt then 12 week scan. .... I declined the bloods but scan was good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->