Can they do a membrane sweep if you haven't dilated at all?

londonangel

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether they can do a membrane sweep if they find you aren't dilated at all. I haven't had my cervix checked at all, so have no idea whether I am dilating or not. I am booked in for a sweep on my due date (this Sunday), so if they examine me and find I'm not dilated at all, can they still do the sweep or do they need to wait 'til I'm dilated a bit? I am guessing if they can't fit a finger in, then they can't do it? Or do they just force it open? Gulp!

Thanks!:winkwink:

Im not sure if each midwife is different, i went to see mine yesterday and as my LO isnt engaged at all she said she would do me a sweep when i next saw her in two weeks time, however she said she wouldnt do it unless his head was a lot more engaged, so i took it that as he is now 4/5 and he still keeps coming free she wont do it if he is still like that. She never mentioned anything about cervix.
X

Hmmm, thanks. Mine was still 4/5 palpable at 38 weeks too. I have been walking lots in an attempt to get her to engage a bit more. Not sure it has worked though as I'm not feeling that much pressure 'down there' or needing to pee all the time or anything!

I was only 1cm dilated a couple of days ago and the MW went to perform a sweep and was unable to do it so has to retry on Saturday. REALLY annoying. I think she said something about needing to get round the head of the baby to sweep the membranes, and if there isn't enough room to sweep around they can't do it.

Good luck with Sunday and I hope you get your sweep :thumbup:

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. Yes, hopefully something is happening down there. I tie myself in knots worrying about whether I should take things, whether I shouldn't, whether they'll be able to do the sweep, whether they won't. Arghhh! Never mind, they will only let me go up to 12 days overdue, so I guess baby will arrive eventually!

Sorry, meant to add, hope you also manage to get your sweep on Saturday tuppance and that it is successful :)

Your cervix has to be favourable to do a sweep so low and soft if its high and hard they can't do it as it would be incredibly painful. I'm not sure if you need to be dilated but assume it would help if they can get a bit of a finger in as they basically run a finger round the neck of the womb trying to seperate the membranes from the cervix.

i have literally just returned from my midwife, i was due to have a sweep today and they couldnt do it as im only 1cm dilated. :-(
im also confused because i had an internal last week and they said my cervix was only 1cm long and now they are saying its 3-4cms long?? am i wrong in thinking thats wrong? i thought it was meant to get shorter and shorter? really confused!!!x

Hmmm, that is strange. I guess it's because different midwives make different estimates about the length of your cervix, but that is a bit odd. I can't see how it would have lengthened since last week! Hope you get your sweep soon though :)

londonangel, i have just noticed ur due the same day as me lol. how ru finding things?x

Hi an123, ah, so we are bump buddies! I am finding things okay, although getting tired of waiting for baby to arrive. My friends both had their babies last week (and early) and I think mine is going to be overdue as I haven't had any signs that she might be intending to put in an appearance! I had thought baby must be pretty engaged, but when I saw my midwife last week she said the head was still 4/5 palpable, so I have been sitting on my birthing ball in an attempt to encourage baby to move down a bit more!

How are you finding things?

i have literally only just seen ur reply lol, im so relieved im not the only one getting tired of the waiting game lol. literally all my pregnant friends who were due AFTER me have had their babies lol. i have an induction meeting on tuesday if she hasnt made an appearance by then and im so tempted to be stubborn and refuse to leave the hospital unless they start me off lmfao!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"