Can you feel your child's glands?

MaggieR

Reaction score
My 6 year old has a gland in her neck that I've always been able to feel - well I noticed it 2 years ago and it has never changed. Recently I've noticed another gland on the other side of her neck. She did have an ear infection and ended up on antibiotics for it 2 weeks ago, and has a little bit of the cold, so it could be that enlarging it. Can you feel the nodes in your child's neck? She is very slim, which a couple of people have told me is probably another reason why. They both move around easily when you touch them and she's well in herself so I'm not too worried, but would like to know if this was normal?

Everything I've read about lymph nodes says it's very easy to feel them in kids. My kids' sometimes pop up on the back of the head or the neck, etc. It's always a bit scary but the pediatrician is totally unconcerned, feels them every day. As long as it's not large, hard, fixed, or painful, probably best to just mention it to the doctor in passing but not worry at all ... it's super-common. I can still as an adult feel some of my lymph nodes. And if you touch them a lot they can actually stay up longer than they normally would or become permanently enlarged, or "shotty."

Yes, I can feel my little boys. He has one on the side of his neck that is quite prominent but every time he gets unwell it swells up huge. The doctor told me it was normal.

Yes. My oldest has had one since before she was 1. She is now heading for 5. It's smaller than it was but still there. Had it checked out a couple of times and been told they wouldn't even begin to think about it unless it was at least the size of a marble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->