Can you have a water VBAC?

Lownthwaite

1DD and cooking #2!
Reaction score
Hi ladies -

this is probably VERY early to ask this as we are not thinking of TTC #2 untill at least Nov 2012 but I was wondering.........

Labour with DD ended in emergency C-section after 28 hours and getting to 4cm. I was told they needed to section due to baby distress as the doctor was scared she would "give up"!

I wanted a water birth with DD but wasn't allowed as they wanted to constantly monitor me due to LO's heart decelerations after contractions.

I am hoping for a VBAC with the next LO and was wondering if I would be allowed a water VBAC - does anyone know?

Thanks.:flower:

i dont know loads about vbacs but ive seen birth stories in the birth stories and announcements section of women that have had water vbacs so totally possible. xx

i dont know loads about vbacs but ive seen birth stories in the birth stories and announcements section of women that have had water vbacs so totally possible. xx

Oooooooh I hope so :happydance:

Not sure if this link works but if not look for user helen1234 as she had a successful water birth fret having had a ceserean x

https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-s...-4-4-11-warning-graphic-water-birth-pics.html

YES you can, BUT it may be a fight in a hospital.

Due to the additional risk of uterine rupture hospitals recommend you have constant fetal monitoring.

Now the risk of UR is around 0.05% so tiny but you have to weigh up the risks would you prefer to have the CFM and pick up on signs of fetal distress BUT be restricted in your movements and hence less relaxed (also worrying about the constant beep and whistles of the monitor?) or would you prefer to be relaxed and free to move in water with regular monitoring in the water by sonicaid and able to listen to your own body? Often the best sign something is happening UR wise is pain between ctx - difficult to notice when youre uncomfortable ll round.

Then theres hospital policy - they may have a no VBAC in the pool policy - which you'd need to fight through your Head of Midwifery.

As always the pol may be busy/dirty.

You want a pool stay at home, no reason you cant HBAC if you have a supportive team and you are comfortable with the hospital transfer times.

Discuss it with your MW - see what her thoughts are and what your hospitals policies are. It may be a case of simply having to state that you are aware fo the risks of not following NHS recommendations of a cannula and CFM HOWEVER you accept them and know what is best for you!

YES you can, BUT it may be a fight in a hospital.

Due to the additional risk of uterine rupture hospitals recommend you have constant fetal monitoring.

Now the risk of UR is around 0.05% so tiny but you have to weigh up the risks would you prefer to have the CFM and pick up on signs of fetal distress BUT be restricted in your movements and hence less relaxed (also worrying about the constant beep and whistles of the monitor?) or would you prefer to be relaxed and free to move in water with regular monitoring in the water by sonicaid and able to listen to your own body? Often the best sign something is happening UR wise is pain between ctx - difficult to notice when youre uncomfortable ll round.

Then theres hospital policy - they may have a no VBAC in the pool policy - which you'd need to fight through your Head of Midwifery.

As always the pol may be busy/dirty.

You want a pool stay at home, no reason you cant HBAC if you have a supportive team and you are comfortable with the hospital transfer times.

Discuss it with your MW - see what her thoughts are and what your hospitals policies are. It may be a case of simply having to state that you are aware fo the risks of not following NHS recommendations of a cannula and CFM HOWEVER you accept them and know what is best for you!

Thanks Chuck! :hugs:

It's a hard one - I would be fine with not having a cannula and CFM so long as they checked regularly with sonicaid and I only had G&A so I could feel any "abnormal" pain but the thought of a HBAC worries me for transfer times as because of March 2012 they are closing my local hospitals maternity ward so our journey to a hospital would be a hell of a lot longer! :growlmad::cry:

I guess I am happy in that it is possible - even if I have to fight it - but I will have to discuss my options with the MW once we get our BFP :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->