Can you use too much nipple cream and can it be bad for baby?

hanni

Reaction score
Sorry if this question is ridiculous or makes no sense in advance. Very tired new mama after a loonnnggg night 😴

So my midwife recommended lanolin for my nipples which are so sore and dry. I've been smothering it on after each feed but sometimes there isn't long in between them and he goes back on pretty much straight away. His face ends up smothered and sticky, he doesn't seem to care though. Can I use to much? It says not to wipe it off before feeds but should I be doing so?

My main concern is he's been so gassy this morning and since yesterday. He's had a total of about 8 dirty nappies since yesterday. Is this normal or could the cream be causing it? Should I be concerned?

Sorry for the babble of nonsense, my brain has just stopped functioning.

Help please! 😩

Firstly, congratulations!

I don't think you can use too much but if you're concerned then try putting less on and see if that makes a difference. 8 dirty nappies in one day isn't too much for a newborn. My DD had a dirty nappy every time I fed her for the first 2 weeks at least. She was feeding every 1-2 hours. That's settled a bit now and she has around 4-5 dirty nappies per day now.

I can't imagine that the lanolin would make him gassy. Is he bringing wind up after you feed him?

Thank you! An extra hours sleep and I realise how silly that question is haha.
He isn't, I don't try and burp him very often but he really doesn't seam like he needs it he's always quite happy and content and doesn't burp at all.
Will start trying more and see if it helps the gas! I swear he pumps more, louder and smellier than a grown man! 😂

Lanolin is absolutely fine. I used to apply a lot as well, before and after feeding.

It's normal for newborns to poop a lot. I recall it was every 2-3 hours or something like that.

Being gassy is probably normal. I massaged my dd's stomach with oil and did bicycle legs once in the evening. I dunno if it helped but she seemed to enjoy the massage. It isn't really a massage as much as just rubbing oil in circles on baby's tummy. It can't hurt imo. Also this is my own theory but I don't think that gas bothers newborns for the reasons we think, I think they just aren't sure how to do it and it feels weird and new. But I could be wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->