• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canadian Home Birth Hopefuls

future_numan

Mommy to 4 girls & 1 boy
Reaction score
I am planning to have my first home birth with this baby.
I had also planned a home birth with my last baby but due to my water breaking and not going into labour I ended up in hospital to be induced.
I was wondering how many other Canadians are planning or have had a successful home birth..
I would love to hear stories and share support or advice.

I wanted to but was denied for various reasons (previous shoulder dystocia, "too far" from birthing centre where the midwives work out of). Boo. Quebec is pretty anti-home birth.

Where are you from? British Columbia (where I am originally from) was pro-home birth but I didn't do one at the time. Wish I had.

I am in Northern Ontario and it is just slowly being accepted here.. It's too bad it isn't more supported than what it is..

I am from British Columbia and I am having a homebirth!!! I am so, so excited. I don't have any stories to share just yet, but hopefully soon (nine days overdue right now). I will also have a birth pool prepared. :) it just feels like the right choice for us, now I can't even imagine planning for a hospital birth.

Living in AB here, and planning a homebirth with midwife and two doulas! ......very soon my ticker says!

I also am planning a homebirth, mine is going to be a VBAC, I'm in ON.
My first was also a homebirth, long story short I ended up at the hospital and had to get a c-section because she was "stuck" (they tried vacuum and manual rotation first).
I often have regrets going to the hospital for pain relief, I feel it's what caused the entire downfall of my birth.
I've gone with midwives both times, and I hope that this birth will turn out better than the last one. I so badly want a natural birth, especially at home. The c-section experience was traumatic for me, and not being able to hold my baby for hours also sucked. I really want this one to work out, I've been listening to Hypnobabies as well a lot to prepare for the pain better (I went to the hospital for pain relief last time, left with a c-section. Huh.)
Put me in your positive thoughts for success please!!!

I hope everything goes well for you as well! I've heard a homebirth is an amazing experience.

oh I am going to re-post my last post here, hello fellow Canadian homebirthers! I'll copy and paste below...

Hello first time homebirth hopefulls! Wow I was so happy to read this post, I was also a first time homebirther when I had my first baby in March this year. I can tell you everything went wonderfully! So yes, I do have advice for first time homebirthers! ...

READ:
Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth - yes you CAN do it!!
HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan - AND do the practice exersizes regularly from about 30 or 35 weeks.
Spinningbabies at www.spinningbabies.com

DO:
Perenium massage from about 36 weeks
Follow the advice given on spinningbabies website, especially spending time on hands and knees during last several weeks, and NO reclining from about 35 weeks!
Affirmations: positive mental affirmations that you repeat to yourself every day, for example: there is a wide open space for my baby to descend, there is nothing in the way
The hynobirthing relaxation exersizes from the book
Walking every day, yes every day! between 1/2 hr and 1 hour if you can

DON'T:
Get in the pool too early (if you have a water birth). The water is so relaxing and soothing that it actually slows down your labour, so until your labour is "full steam ahead" and nothing stopping it, don't get in! Lots of MWs say 5cms is enough, but in my opinion you should wait till at least 7 or even 8cm. I have read and heard a lot of homebirth stories that ended up as hospital transfers because of a stalled labour after getting in the pool too early.

OTHER TIPS:
- Ask only to hear positive birth stories! if someone begins to tell you a birth horrow story (as people are so inclined to do for some awful reason!) tell them politely you dont want to hear it, and you are looking only to hear positive birth stories.
- Be wary of whom you tell! You will get a lot of opposition but I tell you those people are just uneducated!! Ask them to go out and do the research you have done (I bet most of you have spent HOURS researching homebirth) and then come back and talk to you about it!!
- Fetal positioning is HUGE in having an uncomplicated birth, so read and follow spinningbabies, I know its hard not to recline for 8 weeks, but it is only 8 weeks and it is SO important. Read the statistics on the biggest contributor to C-Sections: the couch!!

My doula also recommended talking to my baby to let them know how you want them to come down (i.e. baby when it's time to come out, you need to face mama's back, with your head down and your chin tucked in so that the dome of your head comes first etc etc). This might sound funny but I did it and I think my baby listened! And other things like "we are going to be fine, you and me will do it together" etc etc.

You absolutely CAN have a wonderful and positive homebirth, but I do recommend that you PREPARE for your birth! (as above and any other tips and advice you get from other people who have done it).

I recommend a doula if you can afford one. And I watched comedy (Michael MacIntyre) between contractions early on and that really helped!

Sorry long, but I hope you all get the homebirths you want and I'll be checking back here to see your news!!

xoxo
Pea

home and waterbirthed my sweet baby girl March 2011

and PS if you want to read my birth story it's here (sorry its also long!) Home Birth story of my little Peanut, born 28th March!!!

I'm hoping on having a home birth this time! I'm from southern Ontario. I had planned on having a home birth last time too, but after being diagnosed with low amnionic fluid, wasn't able too. :( Thankfully I was still able to give birth naturally with my midwives and doula, and didn't have to be induced like they had talked about when I was only 37 or 38 weeks. :) But this time I'm definitely hoping that a home birth works out!

I'm planning a home birth and I'm from Calgary!

After much deliberation I finally decided to aim to birth at home. We are moving into a new place in 10 days and it has a bigger jetted tub and I was thinking water birth in there? I'm excited and nervous.

Thank you pea-in-pod for the link and recommendations. I just finished Ina May's book and I loved it! Very empowering!

My MW now offers a birthing pool. Has anyone every used one or plans to use one ?

It has crossed my mind... But I can't decide which freaks me out more, home without drugs or a hospital with drugs but it's still a hospital :?

This is my 5th baby and I have managed 4 births with no drugs so that doesn't worry me.
I am more at odds of where in my home I would want to give birth.
I have a history of fast labours so I would need to prepare the area well before the actual event..

I am in Ontario, does anyone have useful tips on what I should prepare myself or my home for to make this a smooth experience ?

We are planning to use a birthing pool and this is our first home birth. It took my husband a while to warm up to the idea of home birth but now he is all over it. I live in Ontario and there is a place here that rents birthing tubs so we are going to look into that I think.

I am also in Ontario but my midwives have their own pool we can use ( we just have to buy the liner)
I have had quick labours in the past so I am not sure if it is worth spending the money plus I don't know if I like the idea of a water birth, I saw one on you tube and with all the stuff floating around after the birth don't think that is for me..

Hey mamachitas, I am planning a natural birth in the hospital, though I would really love to have a homebirth. I am opting for the hospital mostly because we are moving to a condo shortly before duedate and I don't know how thin the walls are or how nosy the neighbours are!!
Has anyone from southern Ontario delivered with Genesis Midwives? I would love to hear your stories.

I'm hoping to have a home birth and plan to rent a birthing pool. The kitchen/dining room/living room is open concept, so I think we'll have enough room to set up the pool somewhere. I've joked to DH about setting it up in the backyard, as it'll be summer, but seeing as we live next to a playground I don't want to traumatize any kids or their parents! :haha:
I feel quite lucky to even have the option to do it at home - it's nearly impossible to get a midwife in Quebec! I seriously don't know how I got so lucky!
Is it as difficult in other parts of Canada?

PeaInPod: Thanks for all the information! I plan on checking out your birth story in a minute.

I'm from British Columbia and am a Homebirth Hopeful... with emphasis on Hopeful. I won't be able to properly determine whether its feasible or not as I don't know where I'm going to be living when Tadpole arrives. Right now I'm living on Vancouver Island and am receiving prenatal care from the midwives here ...I'll be moving in April/May and am really hoping I'll be able to receive care from the midwives on the mainland but without knowing where I'll even be located yet it's going to be difficult to determine at this point.

I'm VERY curious about Hypnobirth ... I do know that if I end up having to give birth in the hospital that being the control freak that I am, if they try to give me Pitosin or any other drug that I didn't authorize, I'll rip the IV right out of my own arm LOL

I'm from British Columbia and am a Homebirth Hopeful... with emphasis on Hopeful. I won't be able to properly determine whether its feasible or not as I don't know where I'm going to be living when Tadpole arrives. Right now I'm living on Vancouver Island and am receiving prenatal care from the midwives here ...I'll be moving in April/May and am really hoping I'll be able to receive care from the midwives on the mainland but without knowing where I'll even be located yet it's going to be difficult to determine at this point.

I'm VERY curious about Hypnobirth ... I do know that if I end up having to give birth in the hospital that being the control freak that I am, if they try to give me Pitosin or any other drug that I didn't authorize, I'll rip the IV right out of my own arm LOL

I am also a control freak.. main reason why I went with the midwives. We do as I want.. not what a text book says.
My last delivery was also with the midwives and I had hoped to have her at home but baby had other plans as my water broke and more than 24 hrs passed with no contractions. I was admitied to hospital to be induced but wouldn't you know it I went into labour within 30 mins of arriving.. on my own. I have to say the midwives were still great at honoring my wishes even though we were in hospital.
I am hoping this time things will move along so I can birth at home.

planning homebirth from ontariooo!

:happydance:

Has anyone considered where in your home you want to give birth ?
I know it's vain but I worry about the mess.
We are living in our newly built home that are 90% carpet.
I will have to ask but I think I would like labouring in the bath tub and if need be deliver in there too.
I now my midwives have a birthing pool but I tend to labour very quick so I think it will take longer to fill the pool then I will be in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->