• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canadian Home Birth Hopefuls

Gosh I am SO glad I found this thread! Any ladies from Manitoba at all here?

I do not think I am a candidate for an actual home birth as I live several hours away from any midwives etc. I am very much hoping to have a natural birth in a birthing centre, however. My first two children were born in a hospital, with epidurals etc, but I very much want this to be a natural birth, and in a birthing pool. There is one centre in Winnipeg that offers natural birthing, but due to them only having 4 rooms, I am unsure on how difficult it is to get in there. Anyone with any helpful hints, or any other Manitoba women with other information on where else you can go to have a water birth would be so appreciated :)

planning homebirth from ontariooo!

:happydance:

Has anyone considered where in your home you want to give birth ?
I know it's vain but I worry about the mess.
We are living in our newly built home that are 90% carpet.
I will have to ask but I think I would like labouring in the bath tub and if need be deliver in there too.
I now my midwives have a birthing pool but I tend to labour very quick so I think it will take longer to fill the pool then I will be in it.

im giving birth most likely in my bathroom. i'm doing a land birth though not a water birth. you could always just buy a cheap shower curtain to put under the birthing tub

The midwife gave me the list of things I will need to buy before the birth..

Had my dd at home June 2010 and hope to do the same with this little one in April :) In Alberta :)

Happy to have found this thread!
I am in Toronto and planning to have a homebirth in our condo. Still very early in my pregnancy (7.5 weeks), but very positive about this pregnancy and this miracle of life we have conceived.
And then again, it's never too early to educate myself on this matter.

There have been some great links in this thread already for me to read. :)

Happy to have found this thread!
I am in Toronto and planning to have a homebirth in our condo. Still very early in my pregnancy (7.5 weeks), but very positive about this pregnancy and this miracle of life we have conceived.
And then again, it's never too early to educate myself on this matter.

There have been some great links in this thread already for me to read. :)

Welcome:happydance:

I am starting to get excited about my upcoming homebirth.. I am only 4-7 weeks away.
I don't plan on a water birth but to labour in my tub.

I'm 38 weeks today so just waiting for her to make her appearance! I've got a birth pool this time around and plan to just labour in it and get out to push but we'll see how it goes!!! I went quickly with my dd so I'm hoping it'll be similiar but not to quick that my MWs aren't able to get here in time (my biggest worry)! Can't believe how quickly things have gone!

I'm 38 weeks today so just waiting for her to make her appearance! I've got a birth pool this time around and plan to just labour in it and get out to push but we'll see how it goes!!! I went quickly with my dd so I'm hoping it'll be similiar but not to quick that my MWs aren't able to get here in time (my biggest worry)! Can't believe how quickly things have gone!

That is my fear also.. that the MW won't get here on time.. or that I will be alone with my 2yr old.
The MW asked me to pick a couple of rooms that I might like to give birth in.. should I scrub those rooms ?
My house is very clean but I wonder if I should do extra to prepare ?

I've done a VERY basic clean of both my bedroom and our daughter's room where the pool will be set up but honestly I wouldn't worry about scrubbing everything down! I think in the end it'll be what you find most comfortable for you in regards to how clean things are...we had drop sheets down on the floor anyways the first time and will do the same thing this time... When it came to doing checks, etc. for baby after they're born; with my dd they did some of the initial while she was on my chest and then right next to me on the bed. I did have a little area clear and clean in case my daughter needed some extra help for whatever reason however and I made sure our cats weren't anywhere near the room in the weeks before...this time I'm even more relaxed on it...

I bought a bunch of clear shower curtains from Ikea to use as a drop sheet. We have alot of carpeting and I want to protect it:dohh:
My " plan" is to give birth in our bed but you never know.
I have already put a curtain on our bed under the mattress cover and sheets. Just in case my waters break before labour.
They did go early last time ( while we were out having lunch:dohh:)
I have the changetable in our room and the bassinett.. not sure if that will enough for the MW or if I might have to bring in a small table :shrug:
Since is my first HB I think I am putting way to much thought into it..lol.
I got cheated out of it last time with my waters breaking and not going into labour on my own , I want everything to go smooter this time.

If they have to do anything special with baby I think the change table would be all they would need! It sounds like you've thought things through for sure! If you feel like you're not quite ready just run through what you have got done quickly with your MWs so that you know how they do things!!!! (You should have a home visit around 36 weeks if I'm not mistaken so A LOT of that will be covered in that time :D) It's so exciting!!

Yes, I was told I would get a home visit around 37 weeks.. the beta strep B test is done at 36 weeks.. I have began a list of questions and concerns.. not that I have many except what I should do if I am alone..I had Emily fair quickly once labour started so I worry..

My MW has a website with a lot of the information re: informed consent and "what to do if baby's coming" kind of information...if you want any of it for extra reading just let me know and I'll forward it over to you if you like!!

My MW has a website with a lot of the information re: informed consent and "what to do if baby's coming" kind of information...if you want any of it for extra reading just let me know and I'll forward it over to you if you like!!

That would be wonderful.. I'll PM you my e-mail address:happydance:

I'm Canadian too (from Ottawa) and hoping to give birth at home. I've done some research and am very positive that's the way I want to go. Do I really need the pool or are most ppl comfortable giving birth in bed, standing, kneeling...? I want to give birth at home coz that's the most comfortable place for me. I have never been a fan of the hospital environment

My midwife is from the UK (moved here a few years ago) and she's done a tone of home birth. I'm quite excited already and I'm only 17 weeks :)

Heather, I received the information:happydance: I will give it a read.
Just so you know I live in Ontario but I can't think thing would be much different.

Shadowy, this will be my frist home birth ( hopefully) and I don't plan on a pool. I think it is a personal choice. You won't know where your most comfortable till the time comes. I " plan" on giving birth in my bed or the bathroom.. but that could change last minute.
My MW is also from England, she is a stern no nonsence kinda lady, which I love because she is totally honest but compassionate.

Heather, I received the information:happydance: I will give it a read.
Just so you know I live in Ontario but I can't think thing would be much different.

Shadowy, this will be my frist home birth ( hopefully) and I don't plan on a pool. I think it is a personal choice. You won't know where your most comfortable till the time comes. I " plan" on giving birth in my bed or the bathroom.. but that could change last minute.
My MW is also from England, she is a stern no nonsence kinda lady, which I love because she is totally honest but compassionate.

oh yay for English midwives, urs sounds a lot like mine :) Right now I'm thinking my bed too but u're right we'll never know till we get there

I gave birth to dd squatting with my dh/sister supporting me by sitting at the end of my bed lol Tried it on the bed first but on my back/side didn't work for me! Only time will tell what's gonna happen with my next little on in the next couple of weeks. We are setting up a pool this time, but as I went quick last time and I only plan on labouring in the pool so it's easier for my dh to catch the baby again I'm not sure if it'll actually get used!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->