• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canadian Home Birth Hopefuls

I wish DH would " catch" the baby but he is sqirmy when it comes to stuff like that. We barely could convince him to cut the cord when I had Emily.
I am not sure if he will even be present with this birth ( unless I deliver during the night) because we now have a 2 yr old who will be home. Our first concern is her, if she starts to get upset then she will be taken to the play room downstairs. Other than DH, Emily and the MW I don't want anyone else in the house.

I'm thinking of only having my midwives (I will have two at birth) and hubby present for home delivery. My mom really wants to come but I think I'll be more relaxed if there r less ppl there

I don't want to have to worry about how I am dressed or what ppl will see so that is the reason no one is allowed here till after baby arrives.. even so we might dely when we tell ppl he has arrived. It will give us time to relax and enjoy our new bundle before vistors.
I also have 2 MW.. one for me and one to tend to the baby.

I don't want to have to worry about how I am dressed or what ppl will see so that is the reason no one is allowed here till after baby arrives.. even so we might dely when we tell ppl he has arrived. It will give us time to relax and enjoy our new bundle before vistors.
I also have 2 MW.. one for me and one to tend to the baby.

hahaha that's one of the reasons for me too. I'm happy to have 2 MW's...makes me feel more secure. Sometimes I freak out that they won't get here on time. I dont know why I'm worried about that though

I think everyone who has a homebirth worries about being alone when baby arrives..:haha:
Your body knows what it's doing and there is always 911.. I am in a very small town so if for some reason I will need to call emergancy services.. the whole town will have their noses to their window panes..lol.

Planning on a home birth here too! I'm in Ontario and have never actually encountered anyone in real life that has had a home birth beyond my grandmother. :p We'll also be taking a hypnobirthing course starting next month too.

And to the one that asked about how easy it may be for people to get midwives outside of Quebec -- it isn't very accessible in my experience and I'm close to Toronto. I contacted the midwifery closest to me within a few days of missing my period and they couldn't take me on. I was lucky to be able to get into the only other midwifery that I would have been allowed into (due to location) and drive the 40 min to see them. I also had to get special permission approved by the team in order to be consired for home birth due to living outside of their area. Thank goodness they're excited about women who want to do it at home!

I look forward to seeing some positive hb stories on this thread soon!

Welcome, I am in the Kawartha Lakes area so I use the Midwives in Lindsay. I didn't have a problem getting in and made it known that I wanted a HB right from the beginning. I am very lucky. My SIL had a HB back in Sept. in Welland so I have someone with experience to turn too.
I only have 6 more days till I am considered " full term" and will be allowed to have a HB. 37 weeks is the earliest.

Oh Heather, you poor girl.
I receive the stuf you sent me but didn't reply because I assumed you would be busy with baby.
Will your MW deliver at home after 42 weeks ?
Mine won't !!!!!

Technically they recommend that after 42 we will be in hospital...which is what we would do anyways just as risks do increase and my husband wouldn't be comfortable (which is important to me). However, if everything looks good on the biophysical profile, etc. it would still be our choice as to whether we wanted to or not. My MWs are VERY liberal on certain things and I could see them actually doing it...but I don't think WE would...
DD#1 came at 41+1 so we're entering new territory with this one!!! Ended up having a stretch and sweep yesterday (cramping but nothing significant happening). Had a biophysical profile today and everything looks good so we're good for another couple of days at least. I assume my MWs will come to my house tomorrow and give me another sweep and if that doesn't work we'll look at induction stuff. Two options- more natural methods (i.e. verbena concoction) or going to the hospital and doing the standard induction. We've decided if everything continues to look good from monitoring that we're opting out of a hospital induction as long as possible (unless things are not good of course).
Despite the little bit of hassle caused by going late I still feel great so trying to stay calm and let baby come when she's ready! The scan today estimated her at 8.5lbs so we'll see!! I'll update here when she arrives :)

Lets hope the sweep is all you'll need.
I had one with Emily but don't think I will opt. for that this time if I do happen to go over.
I fear the waters breaking if the baby hasn't dropped and the cord coming with them...
Keep us update, I am excited to read your story.

I didn't get a MW appt this week as my MW was out attending a birth and I wasn't able to rescedule an appt till next week ( Thursday).
I am slightly concerned since I am planning a HB but haven't had my GSB test yet.. so if I happen to go into labour within the next week, I made up my mind to go to hospital, as I am uncomfortable giving birth at home if there is risk..
Also I was suppose to have my iron levels checked since I have fought to keep my levels up this whole pregnancy.. I fear bleeding.
I don't know weither I am begining to panic or getting cold feet but since the MW were suppose to call me today and set up a time for a home visit next week and didn't , causes concern in me.. this is my first HB but not my first birth and I sometimes feel like they expect me to be more relaxed and experienced...:dohh:
Does anyone else feel anxious ?

I didn't get a MW appt this week as my MW was out attending a birth and I wasn't able to rescedule an appt till next week ( Thursday).
I am slightly concerned since I am planning a HB but haven't had my GSB test yet.. so if I happen to go into labour within the next week, I made up my mind to go to hospital, as I am uncomfortable giving birth at home if there is risk..
Also I was suppose to have my iron levels checked since I have fought to keep my levels up this whole pregnancy.. I fear bleeding.
I don't know weither I am begining to panic or getting cold feet but since the MW were suppose to call me today and set up a time for a home visit next week and didn't , causes concern in me.. this is my first HB but not my first birth and I sometimes feel like they expect me to be more relaxed and experienced...:dohh:
Does anyone else feel anxious ?

Re: GSB I think I would do the same! My MWs would have had everything available to treat at home if they felt it was needed though. I found mine were A LOT more easy going this time around and did a lot on assumption as it was my second...but i was with the exact same MWs again so I put a lot of it down to that...hopefully some of these things will sort themselves out and you'll feel more comfortable!!

My daughter Maren Leia arrived yesterday morning (Friday the 13th) at 12:28AM. Weighing almost a whole pound heavier then her sister, 8lbs11oz and 21 1/4 inches long!
We did it at home with nothing except the birth pool. I laboured in the pool and when it got to the final stages I had a bit of show so got out of the pool to push on our bed. All in all it was about 3.5 hours of active labour which was just a little shorter than my first birth but strangely enough the pacing of this one was SO much nicer and did not feel as freight train-ish.
I loved the labouring in the pool but found the pushing more difficult this time despite it being quicker than I had with dd#1.
It was a wonderful experience overall and so happy to have had both my girls at home and with the same two MWs!

My daughter Maren Leia arrived yesterday morning (Friday the 13th) at 12:28AM. Weighing almost a whole pound heavier then her sister, 8lbs11oz and 21 1/4 inches long!
We did it at home with nothing except the birth pool. I laboured in the pool and when it got to the final stages I had a bit of show so got out of the pool to push on our bed. All in all it was about 3.5 hours of active labour which was just a little shorter than my first birth but strangely enough the pacing of this one was SO much nicer and did not feel as freight train-ish.
I loved the labouring in the pool but found the pushing more difficult this time despite it being quicker than I had with dd#1.
It was a wonderful experience overall and so happy to have had both my girls at home and with the same two MWs!

:happydance: A huge congratulations on the arrival of your daughter:happydance:
She's a good size:hugs:
Was this your first with the pool ?
I have opted to labour in our tub ( we have a good size one) and maybe deliver in our bed.
Was your older daughter at home with you while you delivered ?
I am so excited that she finally arrived for you.
How are you feeling today ? Resting, I hope !

Sorry for the delayed response!!!
This was my first with the pool! We had a long and deep tub the first time and I tried that but it did not work as I was stuck on my back and that was NOT a good position for me at the time. I also found the warmth of it at that point in my first labour was too much. This time though SO much better for the labouring part and it really was a different experience.
We had opted to have our daughter with us for the birth. My sister (and her 4 month old) came to be with her during the time and she actually came in to see the delivery of the baby. We had read homebirth books with her previously and she had seen the birth of my nephew and reacted really well to it (she wanted to be involved in all the processes of my nephew being born with the MWs)...we figured we would let her guide the process. She got a little upset seeing me in pain in the final stage but recovered well. It was late so she literally saw the baby come, laid down on my dh's chest next to me and baby on the bed after the fact, looked at Maren and then turned over and promptly fell asleep on my dh lol.
I had a 2nd degree tear (had this the first time as well...basically tore along the first but cleaner and not as long) but the recup after this birth is 100 times better than when i had dd#1 so overall, I really can't complain!! Still on a high from the whole thing but trying to adjust to having 2 kids now and dealing with what that brings up for dd#1! DH and I are taking it day by day! Looking forward to hearing more stories!!

That's wonderful, Heather:hugs:

Sadly, we have decided to deliver in hospital.
I have been very disappointed in my MW and feel they are kind of overwelmed since there is only three MW in one practice and one is now out on mat. leave.
My appt had to be cancelled 2x in one week so it got moved to this Thursday. I have been very concerned about my iron level and GBS test.
I called last Friday and never got a reply ( I wanted my iron levels checked while we still had enough time to correct them if they were low)
I had low iron level with my first daughter ( who is now 23) and bleed so bad that I reqired a transfusion..that scares me.
I was told that the MW would come for a home visit , to get familiar with the route to our very rural home ( 25 min drive from MW office)
I was informed they only do home visits on Tuesdays.. well it is now Wed. and I still have not heard from them.
I am now 37 weeks and have a history of giving birth 1-2 weeks early.. and very fast.
I am disappointed:cry: but feel since this is not my first birth ( but first HB) that the MW are being very lax.
I fear going into labour at home and either exposing my baby to GBS or having no way of knowing my iron levels are low or delivering all by myself because the MW can't get things together in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->