Canned beans vs. Dried

RainbowGift

mother of infant twins
Reaction score
Hi, I have started introducing beans to my babies... they have had lentils so far. I used the dry ones and soaked them overnight, etc. They never seem to come out nice and moist after cooking when I soak dry beans. Never like canned beans. Are most of you against canned beans because the beans might leach some of the metals from the can? Thanks in advance.

I use dried lentils but tinned for all other kinds of beans, just because I never remember in advance to soak them overnight. Dried is far cheaper. As long as I cook them in plenty of liquid and simmer them for a while they are fine. What kind of recipe were you using?

Have you tried quick soaking? You put the beans in a pan with plenty of water (at least 3 times the volume of the beans) then bring to a rolling boil for about 2 minutes. Then cover the pan and leave to soak for a further hour (minimum - I like to leave mine as long as I can.) Generally, they turn out quite nice and soft, especially if I use them in a slow cooked recipe too.

How old are the beans? Beans pretty much have an indefinite shelf life but if they're more than a few months old they can get tougher skins. Maybe try some other brand? Not that you are using it but any kind of salt should be avoided during the soaking process too.

I read you don't need to soak lentils. anyway, if you add ingredients that is more acid like tomatoes, it will toughen beans. You have to cook the beans to your desired softness first before you start adding other ingredients.

cans may contain BFA so you have to watch for that

you can always make your own canned beans.

I use a pressure cooker to prep dried beans in a hurry- only takes about 10-20 mins versus hours of soaking :flower:

I cook dried lentils but go for tinned everything else. TBH I'm a bit scared of cooking dried pulses after my Dad gave himself food poisoning form under cooked kidney beans and at least I know that tinned ones are OK. That's probably just me being silly though and the times I have cooked dried beans they have been nicer - chickpeas especially. I agree that you don't need to soak lentils though, that's a great advantage of them.

We use dried lentils, but tinned everything else - pure laziness (and fear of poisoning!). We use them loads...

Thanks, everyone! Im not making recipes... just making the beans so that they can taste them plain before I add them into a "super protein porridge" or something like that. I've started putting the dried beans in the blender and creating a powder out of them and then cooking them at a 1:4 ratio with water (this is how I cook their whole grains, to make the porridge). I would like to give them whole, canned beans but have been worried about the metals in the cans. Seems like most of you are not worried about the cans and some of you are worried about being poisoned from the DRY (I had never heard of this!)... So that makes me feel better about using cans.

Thanks, Mamas! :flower:

Thanks, everyone! Im not making recipes... just making the beans so that they can taste them plain before I add them into a "super protein porridge" or something like that. I've started putting the dried beans in the blender and creating a powder out of them and then cooking them at a 1:4 ratio with water (this is how I cook their whole grains, to make the porridge). I would like to give them whole, canned beans but have been worried about the metals in the cans. Seems like most of you are not worried about the cans and some of you are worried about being poisoned from the DRY (I had never heard of this!)... So that makes me feel better about using cans.

Thanks, Mamas! :flower:

If it is done right, you won't be poison by bean. Some beans have natural toxin so you have to soak it overnight,( I would do 12 hours), rinse, and then put it in full high boil for at least 15 minutes to get rid of the toxin. Then make sure it is fully cooked (very soft). I read if you use a slow cooker for kidney beans, it can worsen the toxin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->