Can't afford to work!

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by xxembobxx, Jun 7, 2011.

1. xxembobxx

xxembobxx Well-Known Member

My LO is nearly 1 and I'm 3 months pregnant. As I was made redundant I have been looking for jobs and been offered 2. The problem is that I won't be able to afford to work after baby is born.
    From what I can work out tax credits will pay childcare up to £300 for 2 children although only 70% of it (which works out at £210). The nursery charges £175 per baby so £350. Which leaves a shortfall of £140 a week!

How do people afford to work with more than one child? It seems mad that I'm better off not working especially as I really want to work :shrug:

2. ASBO_ALI

ASBO_ALI Another live one :o)

in a nutshell chick they cant afford to work!!! I have an 18 month old son and nearly 3 months pregnant too. My little man was in nursery and it cost in excess of £1000 a month for just him which left very little money. So with another baby on the way me and hubby cannot afford to put 2 kids through nursery therefore ive had to give up work and live on Tax Credits! On the upside im a little better off.... not much, but it also means i get to spend more quality time with my babies. I do not understand why the government are not stepping in and helping with these costs as it makes going back to work with 2 children IMPOSSIBLE! xx

3. xxembobxx

xxembobxx Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply....I was kind of hoping I had figured it out wrong but I guess not!
    I knew I would be better off not working and therefore not paying for childcare costs and I get to spend all day with the babies which is a result!
    I never thought of it as being better off financially due to tax credits but I've heard rumours they are soon going to stop credits for people earning over £25000 which my partner has done before. in which case we'll both be better off not working at all!
    I'd be quite happy to take a couple of years off work but I'm the wrong side of 30 now and I do worry it's going to be hard to get back into the workplace.