Can't decide what I want to do after college!

L

little_cookie

I had a meeting with my personal tutor at college on Friday about what I am thinking of doing after A Levels...which as he pointed out- is only a year away and I need to start thinking.

I'm doing all sciences and Maths at AS- will drop Maths for A Level next year. My parents want me to become a doctor and have pressurized me for a long time to do it- but a) i'm not sure if it's the right career for me and b) it will mean a lot of time away from the children for placements etc.

I am looking into Midwifery but again...i'm really not sure.

I LOVE children and would like to work with children- but my parents think it is a waste of time and that I won't get on a degree course with my qualifications :shrug:

Does anyone here work in the childcare sector? What do you do?

Yu don't say how old you are but assuming you are an adult here, it doesn't really matter what your parents think or say about your choices.

The issue here isn't that you don't know what you want to do, you already know you want to work with children, the problem is your parents.

The only way to do this is to stand up to them and just say no, if you don't want to be a doctor then you have to tell them

its your future hun so you do what you want to do not what your parents want. I'm 25 and have only just decided in this last year what I want to be so working my way to uni to be become a social worker when I was 16 I did my work experience in a nursery I was there once a week for 6 months and hated it but that was me the women who worked there seemed to love their job!

maybe have a look into different jobs that involve children, there's loads, child nurse, child therapy, social work (child side of it), working in a nursery, childminding, primary teaching etc.

good luck in what you decide to do :D

If you're interested in health care and love working with children, what about becoming a children's nurse? Xx

Thanks everyone.

I'm 16- so I am old enough to make my own decisions and I know my parents mean well by pushing me into something that would be very rewarding but it isn't for me. Because they are separated as well- I get repeats of the same discussion/arguments.

I think I just need to sit down and have a good think.

At the end of the day its you who will have to do the job, so you should do a job you'll be happy because a lifetime is a long time to waste doing something you don't enjoy. If your parents can't be supportive i'd ignore them. Sometimes parents have valuable wisdom, but in this case i'd reject their input and put your own needs first.

If you're unsure of what to study at uni (I assume thats where you're going), you could defer a year to consider your options because it's a lot of debt to get into if you're not sure it's what you want to do.

Good luck making your decision :)

Hi! I study medicine, it's tough but I love it. If your heart isn't 100% in it then it's probably not right for you. Try to get some work experience in the different areas you think you might be interested in. Talk to people who are doing those jobs. It's the only way you'll know for sure which one suits you best.
I really admire that you're continuing your studies with one child and one on the way. That takes a lot of determination :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->