• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can't send books to prisoners

Read my above comment on that lol. I thought my sarcasm was more apparent than it was. I don't really see the point in continuing to comment because we will go round and round in circles. We just completely disagree on this :thumbup:

I've only ever been CRB checked once, countless employers would never check and after a certain amount of time some offences would no longer count against you so I don't agree that it's much harder to find a job. It just depends on what you're trying to do and what crime you have committed.

I don't want to start with the stats again :haha: but I thought this was commonly accepted. What do you say at your first interview out of prison when they ask what you have been doing for the last 3 years or whatever?

If you're trying to work in a little corner shop you could probably say whatever you wanted and nothing more would come of it. You'd be surprised at how many jobs wouldn't check and I hate to say this but I don't think someone who'd been in prison would mind lying if needs be. :haha: you clearly have more faith in employers than I do, the job I'm in now is the only one that's ever even asked for references!

Read my above comment on that lol. I thought my sarcasm was more apparent than it was. I don't really see the point in continuing to comment because we will go round and round in circles. We just completely disagree on this :thumbup:

:thumbup: yes think you're right!

Sorry I was still writing my post when you wrote that about sarcasm, I can't keep up :haha:

Reading it back that post looks like I'm being rude, it wasn't meant to lol.

That wasn't meant to be taken that literally! :haha: my point is where's the deterrent? There isn't one.

Sorry, missed the sarcasm there, I'm very tired today!

Harsher prisons aren't a deterrence either. Nobody commits a crime expecting to be caught, even the death penalty has been shown to not be a deterrent and you can't get harsher than that. If we want to stop people committing crime in the first place we need to get to the roots of crime - poverty, poor education, mental health issues, addiction, etc. and deal with those issues but there's no reason why we shouldn't deal with those issues in people who have already offended - not helping criminals to get into a better life situation just because you feel it doesn't punish them enough is like cutting off your nose to spite your face, it only hurts yourself (yourself in this case being society in general, not actually you!)

If you're trying to work in a little corner shop you could probably say whatever you wanted and nothing more would come of it. You'd be surprised at how many jobs wouldn't check and I hate to say this but I don't think someone who'd been in prison would mind lying if needs be. :haha: you clearly have more faith in employers than I do, the job I'm in now is the only one that's ever even asked for references!

Surely you wouldn't need the 'free' qualifications for these jobs then! You could just make them up if that's all you're going in for?!

I know you don't want to talk about stats, but why do think harsher prisons would act as more of a deterrent when everything points to the opposite?

Imo the whole system needs a serious overhaul, prison should be more about rehabilitation then punishment, it is completely ineffective as a punishment anyway. Although, I think the loss of freedom and the effects it has on prisoners and their families is vastly underestimated by many, it's horrendous for most and pretty pointless for a lot of people too.

I'm sorry I haven't read the article so sorry if this is a moot point, but a lot of prisons in the UK have their own libraries with qualified librarians overlooking them, it's an important part of rehabilitation, I looked into a job in a Cambridgeshire prison library when I thought we were moving there, I would find it an interesting an rewarding job although I'm not entirely sure where I sit on the rehabilitation vs punishment argument, I think it depends on the crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->