Cant squeeze anything out.....does that mean low supply??

ellie27

Reaction score
So, at the start of each feed I try squeeze a little out to wet babys lips and get them interested and latch on. I do get a little dot or two at the nipple so thats fine.

My LO only sucks and I think I hear little swallows for around a couple minutes then he starts to just comfort suck and not swallow then drifts off - thats when I switch to the other side to wake him up etc.

Often I cannot even squeeze out a little dot of milk - why is this??

I have tried pumping and cannot get anything either!!

I am still so stressed about his weight gain, midwife is coming today to hopefully see he is going in the right direction.

Baby was topped up over last few days - yesterday he had 4 top-ups of 1.5oz formula. I really dont want to use formula, but when he is so sleepy and I cant express anything together with him losing weight I feel I need to top-up just a few times a day for now.
:flower:

have you tried hand expressing instead of a pump. I was using a manual pum but not getting much at all. Then tried the hand expressing technique and get much better results. It took a few goes of getting it right but now i know where to position my fingers to get the milk squirting out. x

Your body will still be building up your supply hun so i would really try and avoid and top ups as if there is anlow supply issue thats only going to make it worse :hugs:

Could you take baby to bed for a day with you and just feed and have lots of skin to skin. Those little sleepy sucks are great for building up your supply as they are getting the really good fat milk up.

When Willow was that age i just let her stay on as long as i could even if she were asleep, even when they are asleep they are stimulating your milk.

Hope hes put some weight on today x

What kala said! We were doing top ups waiting for my milk to come in. On day 5 I had milk, day 6 we got rid of the formula and I continued to let LO do his job. Let your LO stay latched as long as he wants, switch sides if he falls asleep,
Let him comfort suck as long as he wants. I used to sit in the couch or in bed, no shirt, laid back with my feet up and LO stretched across my belly for hours every evening. It is hard to just sit back and relax like that but I made the effort :haha: try to find some comfy positions and let your LO do the rest.

To answer your question, squeezing out milk doesnt indicate low supply but if you are topping off with formula your supply will decrease. I have problems squeezing out milk too. My letdown is better stimulated by LO than the pump or hand expressing. At work I have to look at videos or pics or else my pumping doesn't work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->