Can't work out whats wrong :(

Hope you get some answers soon hun ..poor bub its so not fair to see them suffer

Nursery just rang, been sick again. No appointments till next week :(

xxx

can't you get him in as an emergency? :( At my GP surgery they do on the day appts and you could say that the nursery aren't happy to have him in as he's being so sick. It's awful but I always feel like I have to exaggerate things if things aren't getting sorted. It does sound like something is definitely up, poor Seth :hugs:

having a tummy bug can really upset the bacteria in a babies tummy.Archie was fine up to 10 days old and he caught a gastric bug ooff his brother and it all went downhill from there he was sick more had runny poos and had constant bellyache
i found out that there is a probiotic for babies that you can add to their milk which replaces all the good bacteria that has been lost due to the bug(kinda like us drinking that actimel stuff) its a bit expensive at 25 pound for a bottle of the powder but you only put 1 gram a day in his ff so it would last for 2 months..it has really helped archies stomach settle down and would highly recommend it(it was an osetopath that told me about it..i researched the company online and it is suitable for babies from birth)
as i say i bought mine online(theres only 1 place you can buy it ) im not sure of the company name who make it but the stuff is called bifidobacterium infantis..maybe you could get it on perscriptoion tho
hope you find ouut what is causing seths problems and remember a mothers instinct is usually always right

Have you tried cutting out the banana? Caitlyn gets sloppy poo when she eats banana. Hope he improves soon xxx

He seems to have a pretty big breakfast so I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the day.

My girls were also on the 9th percentile at 10 months after starting much higher. No worries.

As far as the food thing is concerned, it sounds a bit like what my daughter had when I stopped breastfeeding her. She went on formula when I went back to work and she caught a bug from nursery that in the end made her allergic to her milk in the end so she would either throw it up or have loose poos. In the end they suggested dairy free milk as even soya can affect children who are intolerant to normal formula. However the GP was reluctant to put her on dairy free formula because it is very expensive (not that I had to pay for it because it was on prescription). To begin with I was told to give her very diluted formula but when that didn't work either they gave in and put her on the dairy free stuff. I also had to curb her intake of cheese and other dairy (which meant reading the labels on all the baby jars), although yoghurt was ok. In the end she grew out of the tolerence and was on cows milk by 18 months. She's 3 now and doesn't have a problem with any form of dairy.

On a seperate note, the daughter mentionned above was on SMA. My second daugher went from breastmilk to Aptamil and I never ever had any problems with that but then she never went to a nursery so she didn't pick up many bugs early on.

:hug: Don't have any suggestions I'm afraid :(

We were going to take him to the walk in centre last night but I was a bit poorly, so Im wondering if this is maybe another bug :( But even if it is, it doesn't explain why this has been going on since November?

We've changed his milk to soya now, he's had a bottle of it and been ok so we'll just see how today goes.

I know it sounds really awful but cant keep taking time off work like this, Im pretty sure my boss already thinks Im making it up. Whos baby is poorly this often?

So Iguess we'll just see how today goes with his new milk and hopefully itll do the trick.

Thanks for all the replies girls, its given me a lot to think about and stuff that I didnt know so its all really helpful :)

xxx

I wouldnt worry about the weight gain issue, because it is common for babies to slow their weight gain once they start sitting, crawling and walking. That isn't because you stopped bfing. It happens to all babies.

It sounds as if he is allergic to something he is eating. Have you narrowed down any similiarities in your food diary on the days where you were called?

I doubt he is lactose intolerant, he would have been super colicky if you drank dairy while bfing. That is one of the first indicators.

He was quite colicy as a baby while I was breastfeeding until I cut all dairy out which was suggested to me by a lady on this board. Never thought anything of it until now though.

He's had his soya milk today but still being sick so just not sure whats up. Totally conused

xxx

Cant you just swap his milk for lactose free one to see if there is a difference?

ya I agree, perhaps the lactose free will be better.

Get him to the dr's again hun. :hugs:

And maybe take his eating back to basics, give him one thing at a time, see if you can establish something he is allergic to? Maybe he just has reflux? xx

He's on Infasoy formula now so hopefully that will do the trick, although he's been sick a couple of times again today but Im hoping its just whatever is in his system just taking a few days to clear out.

I took him back to the Drs, only appointment I could get before next week was an emergency one and the Dr was really rude and insensitive. He wants us to do another stool sample to check for bugs. We've already done 5, its ridiculous really.

I spoke to a relative whos a GP and she said if nothing comes back in his poop then to ask to be referred to a paediatrician.

Ive told nursery to cut back his diet and just give him one thing at a time as per your post Amy, really good idea. They're really good with stuff like that, they're also going to try him eith everything dairy free too. No idea what reflux is though?

xxx

Reflux is where an infant will bring up some of it's feed soon after he/she has been fed.

Reflux involves the regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the gullet, causing severe pain. It is common in the first year of life. By 12 months, it will often spontaneously resolve, although I have treated several older children for this including a child of 6 years old. In my experience reflux seems to be more common in premature and caesarean babies.
Typical symptoms are:
• Frequent regurgitation (or gagging)
• Feeding problems- babies will pull off feeds, often with a distressed high-pitched scream.
• Poor sleep- babies will often wake frequently at night, seeming very distressed.
• Arching back- this often happens when pulling off feeds and can be accompanied by a distressed cry.
• Prone to bronchitis/pneumonia from aspirating stomach acid into the lungs.
• In severe cases babies will fail to put on weight, because they are feeding so little.

No idea if that sounds anything like Seth, just made me think abit since it seems to be an ongoing problem with him. Sorry you're having a hard time with him.

Some babies just are sicky though. :hugs:

Thanks hun def something else to think about

xxx

Do you have access to a pediatric gastroenterologist over there? Liam had to go to one and it did him a world of good. He had GERD pretty badly and his regular doctor had him on the wrong meds. Its worth a shot, they work with the baby's entire digestive tract.

whats GERD?

I spoke to my Aunt whos a GP last night and she said to push the next doctor we see for him to see a paediatricion so Im taking him back next week once his sample is back and not leaving til they send me to one lol

Im still really upset about the way we were spoken to by our GP last night and Ive got a good mind to complain about it

xxx

I'm sorry to hear your little one is sick and you are having an awful and rude doctor. I'm unsure as to why Seth is getting sick, but I can help you out with the weight issue. Valerie is 11 months old and just two weeks ago I took her in for a check up and she only weighed a little over 18 lbs. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, like someone else said in the thread, when they start crawling and walking they tend to gain rather slowly; if any sometimes. I would really focus on getting him into a pediatrician and getting him taken care of. That getting sick after each bottle feed is not normal at this age and that rude doctor should be doing something other than taking his 5th stool sample. Hope you get some answers soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->