canulars...

CandyApple19

Pregnant with #3, PAL.
Reaction score
I need some tips to keep myself distracted this time round, i had a canular inserted at my last hospital admission as they thought labour had finally kicked off for real (WRONG!) and i NEED one inserting since its a vbac and various other reasons, so it's unavoidable... But when he did it last time i was warned 'id feel a little blood coming out' But my hand ended up drenched with blood and i went incredibly dizzy from it all (very unlike me, im normally great with needles..)

And funnily enough, i've dreaded the insertation of the canular more than actually giving birth! I must be mental but it's actually scared me a bit since then..

what can i do to make sure i dont go really dizzy again? :( I was layed down last time too! the pain doesn't bother me, i think it's the whole mucking around with my veins thing:shrug:

I need some tips to keep myself distracted this time round, i had a canular inserted at my last hospital admission as they thought labour had finally kicked off for real (WRONG!) and i NEED one inserting since its a vbac and various other reasons, so it's unavoidable... But when he did it last time i was warned 'id feel a little blood coming out' But my hand ended up drenched with blood and i went incredibly dizzy from it all (very unlike me, im normally great with needles..)

And funnily enough, i've dreaded the insertation of the canular more than actually giving birth! I must be mental but it's actually scared me a bit since then..

what can i do to make sure i dont go really dizzy again? :( I was layed down last time too! the pain doesn't bother me, i think it's the whole mucking around with my veins thing:shrug:

is this also known as an IV? If so - I totally understand your pain!! I've had BRUTAL IV insertions!! Messy, painful and gross! I was in the hospital a few weeks ago and so many people tried to successfully insert an IV, with no luck. Finally, a nurse came in and wrapped warm blankets around my arms to "puff up" my veins. After about ten minutes, she tried to insert it (I was almost crying from all the anticipation!) and it slipped it with a pinch and I counted down from ten and it was pretty okay!! No mess, no dizziness!

Good luck!! :)

Sounds like the sensation of the blood running down your hand was the worst bit. The blood dripping out was simply due to the person inserting it not moving fast enough to cap it off - that shouldn't happen, you can stem the flow from above with simple pressure until you get the needle out and put the cap on. Try not to worry - you shouldn't have that happen twice, just make sure the person knows what they are doing! Good luck, it'll all be worth it when your LO is here!

My gosh, i HATE canulas. I had the same as you - blood went all over the bed and the women just left it there, so i was lying in bloody sheets. I grew to hate them because i could never go to the loo properly without them getting in the damn way (the tube and drip) and the staff would never take the damn thing out when it was empty, so my blood just went back up the tube. I ended up getting a thing called phlebitis in my hand because the nurse just left the iv in too long and it inflamed my vein - i told her it was hurting so much so she wriggled it around and i swear i could have killed her. :brat:

If all goes to plan with my labour, i'm going to refuse a canula as soon as i get to hospital, no way am i having one of those unnesaccery bloody drips in my arm whilst i'm in pain - grrrr. If i need it, so be it, but unless i do, i'm not letting them near me! They are honestly one of the things i hate most :haha:

I honestly think it all depends on the nurse inserting the needle. Some nurses are fine doing injections, and others are really really shit. :haha:

I'm sure it'll all be fine, and i do think you'll be so excited and distracted about being induced that having the canula put in will be one of your least concerns - hopefully it'll be over quickly, and the nurse will know what shes doing :thumbup: Best of luck :hugs: xxx

I had a bad experience once when I had an operation, I hate having it done now, I always ask for the magic cream or woos cream (Analgesic) as they call it, it numbs the area first, then its painless! just explain it makes you really nervous and ask for some cream to numb it first I've never been refused it yet!

can you not put some emila cream on before hand its available from chemists (about £3) its what you put on babys before they have jabs i allways put it on before my tattoos and you cant feel a thing so hopefully you could put that on let them get on with it and clean you up and you know no differant :-/

The first time i ever had one inserted, they couldn't get it in correctly and i fainted and collapsed straight off the bed. So for that reason i would recommend you make sure you aren't already feeling light headed, apart from that, i think the only thing you can do is look away. :shrug:

They do feel horrible though :sad1:

I'd say look away and be chatting to someone about something unrelated so that you can just pretend it isn't happening.

I had horrible experiences with canulas (8 in 5 days) when I had my daughter. This time around my consultant has said I should have a canula placed on admission to hospital but I believe he is being massively over-cautious and probably doesn't realise how unpleasant it can be to a)have them put in and b)look after a newborn with one still in. On that basis I will be asking them not to put a canula in unless it becaomes genuinely necessary.

Lx

Go to the chemist and buy some EMLA cream, put it on a hour before your canula goes it, it numbs and you feel nothing.

V xxx

My gosh, i HATE canulas. I had the same as you - blood went all over the bed and the women just left it there, so i was lying in bloody sheets. I grew to hate them because i could never go to the loo properly without them getting in the damn way (the tube and drip) and the staff would never take the damn thing out when it was empty, so my blood just went back up the tube. I ended up getting a thing called phlebitis in my hand because the nurse just left the iv in too long and it inflamed my vein - i told her it was hurting so much so she wriggled it around and i swear i could have killed her. :brat:

If all goes to plan with my labour, i'm going to refuse a canula as soon as i get to hospital, no way am i having one of those unnesaccery bloody drips in my arm whilst i'm in pain - grrrr. If i need it, so be it, but unless i do, i'm not letting them near me! They are honestly one of the things i hate most :haha:

I honestly think it all depends on the nurse inserting the needle. Some nurses are fine doing injections, and others are really really shit. :haha:

I'm sure it'll all be fine, and i do think you'll be so excited and distracted about being induced that having the canula put in will be one of your least concerns - hopefully it'll be over quickly, and the nurse will know what shes doing :thumbup: Best of luck :hugs: xxx

if it had finished and was causing me alot of pain id of taken it out myself if the nurse wouldnt! i take them out at work and when patients do it themselves we just frown disaprovingly. lol even better i would have taken it out and told then it came out itself. they dont stay in that well if you knock em about anyway lol

i think as soon as i get in ill ask for em to numben it up for me, now i know its gonna happen i can ask, last time they just sprung it on me in a very matter of fact way and did it pretty much as soon as they told me they'd do it... =/ twas very very cringe worthy!!..ergh..i was talking to my OH while the guy did it too but i think it was the blood spraying onto my hand that did it for me, cause it wasnt a small amount either... and the thing is there were two doctors watching while he did it and im sure they coulda given him a hand! ERRRGh.

hi im absolutely terrified of needles and makes me have a panick attack :( i have found that if i put my ipod on really loud with some really cheesy music it makes me forget and i dont get as dizzy and as freaked out! i have to have a canular because was induced with my DS and i had my ipod ready and helped me ALOT! my hubby told me the needle went in wrong and went out the other side of my vein :( but becasue i was so focused on the music and singing (must of looked crazy) i didnt notice
hope this helps xx

just tell the nurse/ doctor or midwife your very anxious before hand where I work we will take extra care with scared anxious patients while cannulating, It may bleed a little bit but everyone is different and at least if it bleeds you know it is in the vein not tissued which is painful as well Other than that try distracton therapy dont look and think of something nice it has always worked for me when I have had them !!

if it had finished and was causing me alot of pain id of taken it out myself if the nurse wouldnt! i take them out at work and when patients do it themselves we just frown disaprovingly. lol even better i would have taken it out and told then it came out itself. they dont stay in that well if you knock em about anyway lol

:haha: Last time i was in hospital, it did actually fall out because it was in the bend of my elbow, and i HAD to bend my elbow when i went to the loo - so it inevitably fell out. The blood went all down my arm so i sat there pressing the 'call nurse' button. After 10 mins of no-one coming, i just got up and walked around looking for a nurse with blood all down my arm - hahaha, they were really angry at me because i think i was freaking people out who were waiting in the assessment area. Ahh, the fond memories i have of hospitals :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->