Car seat question (UK)

rubberducky88

Mum to 2 little monsters!
Reaction score
Hi lovelies!
So I’m 8+2 with our third child and I bought a Mini Cooper in December which isn’t the ideal car for three kids but hey we are locked in for 3yrs.

It’s not a *huge* issue as my hubby has a big family car and I only use mine for tiny trips (I’ve done 780 miles in 5 months LOL)

But my question is..... is it safer for my 6 year old to sit in between the baby seat and high back booster in the middle in the back (I understand this is legal but freaks me out a bit)
Or is it better for him to go in the front with his high back booster and the airbag switched off?

TIA xxx

This from childcarseats.org.uk
"Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. If you must do so, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat."
I'm assuming your child is 135cm or taller as you say it is legal for them to sit in the back without their seat. If so I'd think about the following:
Is the middle seatbelt a three point belt or just a lap belt?
Is there space between the two car seats for a booster cushion (one without a back and sides) as this would create a better position for the seatbelt to offer protection?

No he’s not 135cm yet - but I’ve done some investigation and it’s actually legal for any child over 3 to sit in the back with no child seat if it cannot fit 3 child seats in the back. Crazy huh!

I can turn my passenger airbag off so the airbag in the front isn’t an issue, I’m just trying to work out which would be the safest option as I have no other options!

I believe the thing about it being legal if seats don’t fit or don’t have them is a short term measure for emergencies, not a long term thing. I would put in the front with the airbag off, as far back as the front seat can go.

Personally, I wouldn’t risk not putting a child under the height limit in a seat.

^^^ i’m Inclined to agree with you!!
I was happy with the decision to put him in the front with the airbag off until I did some googling and everyone was outraged at children in the front seat.

I literally only do journeys of about 10mins max at a time in my mini with the kids.

Just frustrating that we’re locked into this damn finance, otherwise I would get a bigger car :(

I had a two seater car at one point (no choice, my other car literally died on me, and I still had my two seater that had just finished having a few bits and pieces fixed on it) and I had my son in the front (obviously).

What kind of deal did you get the Mini on? Is it PCP by any chance? Worth looking into if you can upsize? I have a 4 year deal on PCP, and I'm 18 months into it, and technically the value of the car covers the cost of the settlement, so then you'd be free to take a new deal? I reckon that's the case most of the way through the contract as long as the car is kept in great condition.

Worth looking into if you have got it on PCP anyway!

Could you and your husband swap cars on the days you know you need to drive somewhere? Unless he needs a bigger car to carry stuff for work

I had a two seater car at one point (no choice, my other car literally died on me, and I still had my two seater that had just finished having a few bits and pieces fixed on it) and I had my son in the front (obviously).

What kind of deal did you get the Mini on? Is it PCP by any chance? Worth looking into if you can upsize? I have a 4 year deal on PCP, and I'm 18 months into it, and technically the value of the car covers the cost of the settlement, so then you'd be free to take a new deal? I reckon that's the case most of the way through the contract as long as the car is kept in great condition.

Worth looking into if you have got it on PCP anyway!

We are defo going to look into this nearer the time.
I mean, I won’t be able to upgrade to a bigger mini as even a Countryman wouldn’t take 3 car seats across :(
But I’m hoping because I do very little mileage the car will keep a lot of it’s value so we may be able to go down the voluntary termination route!

Could you and your husband swap cars on the days you know you need to drive somewhere? Unless he needs a bigger car to carry stuff for work

Unfortunately it’s a company car my husband has with free diesel and he commutes 38 miles to work, it would cost us too much money to lose out on the free diesel for the commute!

BUT, he does work for Mercedes Benz.... so, if I can get out of my car contract early.... he can get me a car on his work scheme cheap.

Fingers crossed I can voluntary terminate my PCP and the car is worth enough to cover the settlement!

I have no idea how car finance works outside the US, but you can trade in and finance another vehicle even if you are still financed. Not the smartest financial decision (you end up paying and paying) but if it's the safety of your kids it is the safety of your kids, what kind of price would you pay for that?

That said, may be totally different outside the US.

Just making short trips is not a reason to disregard safety. Most accidents happen very close to home.

I have no idea how car finance works outside the US, but you can trade in and finance another vehicle even if you are still financed. Not the smartest financial decision (you end up paying and paying) but if it's the safety of your kids it is the safety of your kids, what kind of price would you pay for that?

Just making short trips is not a reason to disregard safety. Most accidents happen very close to home.

Paying out another £250 a month on another car whilst having a disused car on the drive isn’t an option. I don’t have a spare £250 a month! Not to mention the second insurance

I think that would be the best option! I know that cars that hold 3 seats in the back gives you far less choice, but especially if your partner can get a discount through work, definitely look into it! Goodluck xxx

I was told when I bought my car that a Citroen c4 Picasso is the only car sold in the uk that can fit 3 car seats across the back, but I think that's proper car seats rather than 2 seats and a booster. When my aunt had number 4 she went for a 7 seater but there's 4 years between each child so she didn't have to worry about 3 in the back in full seats.

I was told when I bought my car that a Citroen c4 Picasso is the only car sold in the uk that can fit 3 car seats across the back, but I think that's proper car seats rather than 2 seats and a booster. When my aunt had number 4 she went for a 7 seater but there's 4 years between each child so she didn't have to worry about 3 in the back in full seats.

Yeah luckily my two older children are both in high back boosters so I will only have one in a full car seat!

We took one of my sons friends in my hubby’s GLC the other week and the 3 car seats fit ok across the back!

Paying out another £250 a month on another car whilst having a disused car on the drive isn’t an option. I don’t have a spare £250 a month! Not to mention the second insurance

Here, you trade in the first car? So not a second payment, a replacement payment which may be higher. That may not be how car sales work outside of the US though, we have funny ways about it.

Here, you trade in the first car? So not a second payment, a replacement payment which may be higher. That may not be how car sales work outside of the US though, we have funny ways about it.

Ohhhh yes I see what you mean!
Yeah we are going to try this in October/November - I’m hoping the car will have kept much of its value so it covers the settlement due on it!!

Just exploring options in case we aren’t able to!

Sorry I misunderstood :)

Ohhhh yes I see what you mean!
Yeah we are going to try this in October/November - I’m hoping the car will have kept much of its value so it covers the settlement due on it!!

Just exploring options in case we aren’t able to!

Sorry I misunderstood :)

No problem. Here, they just roll the remainder due (the settlement?) into your loan for the next car. So not the most financially sound choice, but if it has to be done it has to be done.

Our current loan on the minivan has a bit of loan for the sedan, a bit of loan for the small van, and the loan for our current van. So we are underwater on it, but we will have a car payment anyway, so.

Yeah luckily my two older children are both in high back boosters so I will only have one in a full car seat!

Could the eldest use a standard booster (so not a hight backed, just the seat bit). That might free up some room....

Could the eldest use a standard booster (so not a hight backed, just the seat bit). That might free up some room....

That is not at all safe at their age, half boosters are more suitable for 8+ year olds.

But safer than sitting in the middle of the back seat without ANY kind of seat - which was one of the OP's original suggestions.

UK guidance says:
Booster cushion
Group 3: for children weighing 22 - 36 kgs (48 - 79 lbs) 125cm or taller, roughly from 6 - 11 years.

I know the child is on the younger side of that though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->