Car Seats

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok after Terries post on the Chester meet thread it got me wondering.

I don;t drive & so far I'm having a pram that isn't a travel system so not built in car seat ...

What do you Mums do/did when you use/used public transport & taxis? Because I don't drive I use trains & taxis.

:wacko:

u dont actually need a car seat in public transport, but some taxi companies offer them

This is something that i keep wondering about as when my turn comes ill have the same problem.

You will need a car seat anyways for taking baby home from the Hospital, the first group ones (group 0) are easy to take in and out of any car and shou, last up till 6-9 months but im not sure what youd do after then.

u dont actually need a car seat in public transport, but some taxi companies offer them
Well for a bus or train no but when I go places I usually get a taxi from the train station ... (typical places I go). Plus I get a taxi into town - I think theres buses here but one prob with where we are they don't know what pavements are.

This is something that i keep wondering about as when my turn comes ill have the same problem.

You will need a car seat anyways for taking baby home from the Hospital, the first group ones (group 0) are easy to take in and out of any car and shou, last up till 6-9 months but im not sure what youd do after then.
Well even still ... I can't push a pram & hold on to a carseat!

ARGH :dohh:

When I went on the bus recently I held Alex and sat Ella next to me. It felt really weird not having either of them secured in, especially when the bus braked sharply!! You'd think that taxi drivers would have to have access to a car seat for people travelling with young children/babies wouldn't you?

I had travel system for maddie for when i hadn't got a car ...

My mum and other cars i got a britax ...

xxx

Well even still ... I can't push a pram & hold on to a carseat!

ARGH :dohh:

Annoying little loophole isnt it...
I think taxis should be able to provide infant seats the wy they now provide booster seats.

apparently Taxi's are allowed to have babies in cars without car seats something like they are insured for this, personally, not a risk I would want to take I worry too much, what if! The only exception is going to be on Vicky's wedding day, but thats a one off. I think Taxi's should be able to provide car seats, I was thinknig this the othe rday. Maybe try ringing taxi companies and see if there are any drivers that do ? there might be some thoughtful driver who does! If not then I guess its bus or train or walking! Other than that, a travel system. What pram do you have ? can it be made into a travel system if you want ?

ok i dont drive so i use public transport

i take the pram on the bus as on the arriva buses they have space for at least 2 prams.
ive never been in a taxi with rhys before hence my confusion but i do know they have to carry bumper seats for children not sure about car seats

if i need to go further i get a friend to drive me or colin does so then i use a car seat. my pram wasnt a travel system so we bought a car seat but have since upgraded to a 0-4yr car seat as rhys' legs are too long for a normal one. we face the 0-4yr one backwards obviously!

Up here they do not allow you out the hospital when you've had LO without a car seat! U have to physically have one when u leave the ward!:wacko:

Sorry I just found this mad, as I am planning on getting Becky a maxi cosi priorifix and giving the new baby Rebecca's Britax one which is suitable from birth if rear facing, HOWEVER its not portable so I am having to buy one just to get LO out of hospital.:hissy:

Sorry rant over......:hugs:

Thing is even the black cabs ... you can lift a pram on ok but is that deemed safe too?

As for trains buses I know not all buses can get a pram on? Although I haven't used in longggg time. Train yes. But most places I go to via train really require a taxi to where ever I'm going. If I go to Chester for example to walk where my sister is would take me hour plus!

I've seen people just put bubba on knee & wondered if anyone did same.

An taxis should defo consider this me thinks!

u cud just borrow a carseat to take baby home? not sure if u know anyone who has one, in a taxi i just sit callum on my knee and chloe gets strapped in, i dont drive but all my family do, so they bought me a carseat to keep at theirs to use as they needed it wen little ones were wee

Oh no Kx ....

Could you borrow one for that day?

I am buying a car seat but its not always going to be convenient (sp). Maybe I should reconsider the pram I want but I'm not happy at that thought lol!

we have disabled taxis here(no sure wot make they are lol) an they allow you to put pram in as it is which is gr8! all u do is put brake on and its fine, all busses here are pram friendly thankfully!

KX I have a britax rear facing car seat you could buy cheap from me, just wether it would be worth it because of the postage! its hardly been used too so good as new. But it would be even better for you if you could just borrow one as you wouldnt need it again!

If Pram is in a taxi with just the brakes on nothing is anchoring it to the floor, in a (god forbid) crash the pram would still fly through the air!
I guess its the same on a bus but for some reason it feels safer

for me theres no way id be able 2 lug 2 kids an 2 carseats plus prams into a taxi, so i guess thts my personal choice, an i dont feel the taxi shud have to provide either as again its up to you if you bring one or not, yes i guess u cud say im putting my kids at risk, but ill never be travelling far in a taxi, usually only to the nursery in the rain! lol

Im just such a worrier, I always think what if! But Im lucky to have the convienience of a car, next door doesnt drive and she takes her LO in a taxi with no car seat, if you dont drive theres not much else you can do, and if I diodnt have a car I would probably do that too, no other way to do a food shop! I do think taxi drivers should provide car seats though. How come though it is illegal to hold a child in a car but it isnt in a taxi ???

i do have a 2 carsets tho, i only do it thro convenience,

this is wot it says bout taxis, In a licensed taxi or licensed hire car, if a child restraint is not available then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This is the only exception for children under 3, and has been introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.

https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#under3

ahh right, well its a good job really, does make life easier for people who dont have cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->