care when preg after a loss, answers pls?

adamswifey

misscarried 1st trimester
Reaction score
If i am to fall pregnant this month or any other time, becos of my mc in april will i be treat diff from before? Is more offerd to u, scans blood tests n stuff? Xxxxx

I was assured by the consultant after my mc that I would be offered early scans in my next pregnancy, bless her, she said "any worries next time, don't go private, come here! use the nhs!" xxx

I got an early scan but that's about it so far. I think if you have had several mc then you would get more help or a late mc.

hx

I'm in the US so it is different. They usually want you to have 2-3 miscarriages before they'll do anything. Since I'm 35 and I was feeling pain from the beginning of my second pregnancy, they saw me very early. After I lost that one (my second mc), they did all sorts of tests. Again, it was more due to my age. Otherwise they would have made me wait until I had a 3rd mc before they would do anything. Isn't that awful??? I hope you can get extra care for your next pregnancy.

Its probably a postcode lottery like everything else!! But I think you usually have to suffer 3 mc's (or 2 if you're 35 or over) before they give you regular scans etc....I think this seems to be the general rule throughout the UK unless you have a v nice consultant! With my 2nd pregnancy I went to EPU for an early scan and was told not to come back until 12-14 weeks (that turned out to be a mmc) but obviously if you're feeling anxious I would push for an early scan :hugs:

I asked my Doctor this and got told that I would not be treated any differently after 1 mc. Would not get an early scan or anything, which I was quite surprised at.

I live in York. Reckon it's different depending on where you live

SL

I'm in Manchester and have been treated at St Mary's (One MMC) - they have told me to let them know as soon as I get :bfp: to be booked in for a reassurance scan at 7 weeks. It definitely seems to be a postcode lottery.....

I lost Isabella in the second trimester so they do treat you differently then (after my 5 week loss they said that care would be no different and they were right, it was no different with Isabellas pg).

In my next pregnancy if it ever happens I will be scanned at 6,8,10,12 and 14 weeks and then decide whether to carry on with fortnightly scans.

i lost my baby at 17weeks my consultant said they will scan me from 8weeks or maybe 6weeks, then 12 and then 16 weeks. when i do get preg again i think having these extra scans will help alot and put my mind at ease but i will still be scared:cry:

Guess ill just have to wait and find out, i lost at 9 weeks but didnt find out untill 12, and i hated the fact for them 3 weeks i thought i was, i am going to see if i could get one at 9 weeks just to see whats hapenin then :/ god i wish i could do a daily check at home :( haha x

i had a D and C last week and the nurse said that in the next pregnancy i can just go in and wait on the day for a scan at 6/7 weeks for reassurance

I think it sometimes depends on the circumstances of your loss as well. We were seeing the screening co-ordinator at our local hospital as well as a geneticist at St Georges hospital. The co-ordinator actually sent a little handwritten note a few weeks after our loss to say that if I fall pregnant again, they'll give me extra care right from the start. It was such a kind gesture and I was very impressed with the care they gave us. Maybe its worth checking with your midwife when you conceive x

Because it was a stillbirth at 34 weeks due to a clotting disorder I already know the care will be very different whether they like it or not! I'm diabetic and also have epilepsy so was already considered high risk (not that you would have known that from the lack of care!) but I know this time what I need and also my GP has already said that he will take more of a role in my care if I get pregnant again and the community midwives will be involved as well as the hospital clinic. I had quite a few scans anyway but as someone else said I would be getting fortnightly scans from 6 weeks along with the hospital appts as well as visits from the community midwives. A lot depends on what you push for and how confident you are with that and how comfortable you are being a pain in the backside!!
Good luck,
xx

I discovered they have a scanning machine at my docs surgery and my GP worked in Obs for 20 years (great to discover after a mc) She said I can go there and have scans inbetween the regular hospital ones, you do have to push for these things thou.

does ure hospital have a early pregnancy unit?? mine does and u can ring up and book a scan yourself, u dont need 2 b reffered from ure gp...i had a ectopic last june and also mc in april so it wud b worth while checking out a early pregnancy unit in your area....not sure where ure from but mine is in ormskirk if that close 2 ya (chances r not but woth a try) xxxxxxxx

I was assured by the consultant after my mc that I would be offered early scans in my next pregnancy, bless her, she said "any worries next time, don't go private, come here! use the nhs!" xxx

I was told that too after my first miscarriage but when I fell pregnant again I didn't get any extra blood tests and they wouldn't give me an early scan. It was very disappointing and upsetting after what we'd been though. I lost that pregnancy too, but can't fault the NHS at that point with how they dealt with me at the ERPC etc

They won't do any extra tests until you've had three miscarriages here so if I am so lucky as to fall again I think i'll be alone again for the first few months.

i dont think i will be helped any earlier either to be honest! i know here they usually wait till youe had 3 before offering you things but if we have to wait till 12 weeks next time we get pregnant we might just pay for a scan earlier if the docs or epu wont give us one x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->