Career in midwifery

SugarFairy

Reaction score
LO is now 5months old and I've become obsessed with programs on birth and labour! I'm thinking that once I'm done having my own babies and they're a little older, its something I'd really like to go into. I'm already 27 so I'll be heading towards 40 by the time I do it. I wonder how many women go into midwifery after having their own? I never thought I'd have any interest in it but now I've done it myself I really feel I want to help other women through it, to have that amazing experience every day. I know its a stressful job but must be so rewarding! Any of you other ladies feel like this?

I'm on a health and social care course and there's a few women who want to be midwives because their own personal experience was horrible with the midwife they had.

I on the other hand want to be a midwife and don't have any children, It's something I've wanted to do since being about 13 :)

I didn't have a great experience but I don't think it was the fault of a specific person, more the processes they are encouraged to follow - timescales, over-monitoring etc. I had a very medicalised birth which I didn't want but the experience as a whole has made me want to be involved with other ladies pregnancies. I could chat to pregnant ladies all day! I stalk my pregnant friends on Facebook lol. Its great that you're getting to do what you've always wanted to. Good luck with it all and good luck getting a baba in your belly over the next few months : ) x

You need to do adult nursing and some kind of science (physics) etc. xx

Me!

Im applying to uni for midwifery 2013. Im starting with the Open University in Feb to get the relevant qualifications. Im so excite/scared!

Thats great Kimboowee!! Good luck! I thought I'd do the same - get the relevant qualifications through OU then apply for the nursing/midwife course after that. I have A-levels in Biology and Maths. I know there are Access to Nursing courses run locally too. TBH I'm not sure whats needed but I've always loved biology, the make-up of animals and plants, how the body works etc. And of course I'm fascinated with how we manage to grow perfect little people inside of us. Its amazing x

You can do direct 3 year degree midwifery courses, without having to be an adult nurse first. Obviously there is a entry requirements that you would have to meet. www.studentmidwife.net is a very good place to research becoming a midwife :kiss:

xxx

Thats great Kimboowee!! Good luck! I thought I'd do the same - get the relevant qualifications through OU then apply for the nursing/midwife course after that. I have A-levels in Biology and Maths. I know there are Access to Nursing courses run locally too. TBH I'm not sure whats needed but I've always loved biology, the make-up of animals and plants, how the body works etc. And of course I'm fascinated with how we manage to grow perfect little people inside of us. Its amazing x

Most unis require GCSE Maths, Eng, Science then 3 A -Levels which must include a Science. Each uni is different though so I'd see where you'd apply to first then have a look at their requirements - though Nottingham didn't state they accept OU Courses, but they do so if that's the route you want to go your better off emailing the Midwifery admissions team.

Second studentmidwife.net - It's helped me sooo much!x

I have the GCSEs but my third A-level was only a C in Psychology which I pretty much don't count. Five terrible teachers over the two year course meant we pretty much taught each other in the school library. Plenty of time for me to see what else is needed and to do the courses. Thanks for the tips ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->