Castor oil today. *UPDATED WITH LINK TO BIRTH STORY*

You're right, it's her choice but what sort of comments did she think she would get by posting about Doing something so silly on a public forum.
Good luck, hope it's all sunshine and roses and everything else you wish for??!

You're right, it's her choice but what sort of comments did she think she would get by posting about Doing something so silly on a public forum.
Good luck, hope it's all sunshine and roses and everything else you wish for??!

I think some people just like stirring up some sort of drama. :shrug: Of course the best place is on a forum full of pregnant ladies :haha:

Good luck - Delivery may be a little embarrassing and messy with diarrhea though. Please ensure you keep your fluids up.

Castor oil threads always get heated! It's not for me - my little boy got distressed during a verrrrry long labour and did a poo, and it was horrible. He was coughing up gunk and snuffling for days, and it affected his latching because he was so congested. I know the last few weeks of pregnancy feel very very long, but in the whole grand scheme of things, I'd rather let nature take its course and not risk increasing baby's chances of getting distressed. It's not even like it's guaranteed anyway - if baby isn't ready to come, giving yourself the horrid shits isn't going to do anything other than give you a stinging bum! X

Trying to force your baby out early and prepared to risk your baby pooing and becoming distressed? Really? You aren't even at your due date! Even if your baby is fine, labouring whilst you have diarrhoea and are dehydrated is awful!

Sorry I can't sugar coat this. I think you are being very selfish.

My LO spent 2 days in SCBU after failed induction caused him to get distressed. I ended up having an EMCS and he'd both inhaled and digested meconium.

Why any one would be willing to take that risk is beyond me. It truly was a a horrendous experience.

I don't know much about the side effects from taking castor oil but is there a reason why you want to force labour before your even past your due date? I think it's crazy baby comes first in my eyes and if there is even a chance of causing harm why in earth would you risk it for the sake of a few weeks?

Sorry I just don't get it I'm on the other side wanting my babies to stay as long as possible but each to their own..... I hope everything goes smoothly and you have no issues with baby x

Got to be honest here, I did it with dd (didn't know of any risks at the time) and it worked fine! Started having contractions 3 hours later.
Saying that though I won't try it now knowing what iv 'heard'
If you choose to do it then gl, I reckon there is risks with everything you do, even the drugs that hospitals offer.

I really hope that things work out for you and baby if you have decided to go ahead with this x, personally tho I would wait the extra week since you have already waited this long, I understand that you will get a lot of strong feedback on this thread and I'm sure you understand the risks involved but I really do wish you the best

I used castor oil to induce labor with baby #6 at 39+3 weeks. I just had a feeling in my gut that he needed to come. I went into labor about an hour and a half later with no diarrhea or cramping and had a completely uncomplicated, wonderful home birth.

I used it to try to get #8 here... twice. Both times I just ended up with the runs (uncomfortable, but not end-of-the-world awful the way some have described it here) and didn't go into labor. When i did finally go into labor (after having Eggplant Parmesan at Olive Garden actually), he was born with no meconium in the water and no real complications.

Good luck OP. I hope it works for you and everything goes well and safe!

I had my second baby at 41 weeks, she had pooped in me and had the cord around her neck. I had to be induced, didnt take castor or anything. But to me it feels like keeping baby in after due date can be dangerous for baby, ide rather have my babe at 39 weeks then 40+. im 38 weeks and want my baby out now! Sometimes your body just wont start labor on its own so you have to be induced, bottom line its her baby and her body. She can do what she wants.

I've read up on this and it is something I would never, ever do personally. It comes with risks. I wouldn't do something where I would knowingly put my baby at risk. How would you feel if your baby was poorly at the end because of something you did. I can't comprehend it personally.

I've read up on this and it is something I would never, ever do personally. It comes with risks. I wouldn't do something where I would knowingly put my baby at risk. How would you feel if your baby was poorly at the end because of something you did. I can't comprehend it personally.

Everything pregnancy related comes with risks. Pregnancy itself comes with risks, yet we voluntarily do that to ourselves and a baby. The fact is that most attempts at starting labor with castor oil do not end up with serious problems. It's frankly not any riskier than inducing labor by having your waters broken prematurely or using Pitocin - it's just that those are generally done under direct medical supervision so we think of them as less risky. It's always best to attempt castor oil (or any other natural labor induction) under the supervision of your midwife/OB, but not doing so doesn't make them inherently more risky.

Odds are very high that the OP ended up with a nasty bout with diarrhea and baby is still snuggled away waiting for the right time to be born. Either that or she went into labor and we'll be reading her birth story soon.

Wow, what a heated thread! My mom's been suggesting castor oil for a while now (I'm a little over a week past my EDD) and I won't do it.

Aside from the risks, which really aren't too overwhelming relative to many of the pregnancy induced risks, there is nothing in this world that I hate more than puking. If there's even the smallest chance that something will make me puke, I will avoid it like the plague. Even the idea of puking in labor (which I have not done, but was very nauseated with #2) is one of my biggest 'scary' parts of labor.

Be sure to keep your fluids up and pay special attention to baby! Good luck!

Everything pregnancy related comes with risks. Pregnancy itself comes with risks, yet we voluntarily do that to ourselves and a baby. The fact is that most attempts at starting labor with castor oil do not end up with serious problems. It's frankly not any riskier than inducing labor by having your waters broken prematurely or using Pitocin - it's just that those are generally done under direct medical supervision so we think of them as less risky. It's always best to attempt castor oil (or any other natural labor induction) under the supervision of your midwife/OB, but not doing so doesn't make them inherently more risky.

Odds are very high that the OP ended up with a nasty bout with diarrhea and baby is still snuggled away waiting for the right time to be born. Either that or she went into labor and we'll be reading her birth story soon.

I agree that pregnancy itself is a risk, but personally I don't see why someone would increase the risk of anything happening by the slightest amount. People get their water's broken usually because they are overdue and it is safest for baby to be born than to continue with the pregnancy. This is then monitored by professionals.

Also, if castor oil has a laxative effect, then won't that pass through to the baby? Surely that is dangerous? I'm not judging, I'm questioning. I thought that if a baby had a poo whilst still in the womb it could be dangerous?

If the op is fully aware of all the risks, has done plenty of research and would like to do it, then that is their decision. I just pray that everything goes well.

My sister did this with her first born and apart from getting a telling off from the midwife, she had a horrible labour which was full of diarrhoea and extra intestinal cramps on top of the contractions. She never tried it again. I'm not sure I'd resort to it

Why don't you just dtd???

The hormone in semen is the same hormone that is present when they induce you (according to my midwife anyway!).

Surely that is better than that horrible diarrhoea, cramping and possible dehydration??

I'd, personally, never do it. I wouldn't willingly put my baby at risk any other way, and I don't see castor oil as anything different.

That being said, you're an individual who's more than capable of making your own choices and your own decisions and if you wish to try it then that's your perogative.

The laxative effect can't pass to the baby through the placenta, it works differently to that, the oil literally helps things move along.... There's a plus I guess!

To whoever said about feeling that it's dangerous keeping babies in after their due date--well, she's not past her due date is she, she's not even at her due date so...totally irrelevant comment, also not considered overdue until post 42 weeks anyway. I do think it's an odd choice, castor oil cannot act on your cervix, it can't ripen it, it can only induce contractions through stomach spasms as a result of diarrhea, which won't continue if you're not ready to go in to labour! So..this will likely be a pointless venture because..if you were ready to go in to labour, you would be going in to labour, and if not, then diarrhea and vomiting isn't going to help! Um....let us know how well it went, it'll definitely stir up the board a bit more, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->