Castor oil today. *UPDATED WITH LINK TO BIRTH STORY*

To whoever said about feeling that it's dangerous keeping babies in after their due date--well, she's not past her due date is she, she's not even at her due date so...totally irrelevant comment, also not considered overdue until post 42 weeks anyway. I do think it's an odd choice, castor oil cannot act on your cervix, it can't ripen it, it can only induce contractions through stomach spasms as a result of diarrhea, which won't continue if you're not ready to go in to labour! So..this will likely be a pointless venture because..if you were ready to go in to labour, you would be going in to labour, and if not, then diarrhea and vomiting isn't going to help! Um....let us know how well it went, it'll definitely stir up the board a bit more, lol!

If that was aimed at my comment then I'm afraid you didn't read it properly. I said nothing about op being over due. I was commenting on what a pp had said by saying that breaking people's waters was as dangerous as using caster oil. My comment was that if a mw is breaking someone's waters it usually (not always) means they are overdue.

You know its dangerous but your still willing to do it?!

Why?

I dont get why tlyou would put your baby in danger just for the sake of a week?!

Please dont do it, you midwife will go mad at you and the risk is somthing you dont want, my auntie did it and my cousin is so lucky to be alive please please wait it out hun dont tempt fait baby will come when there ready xx

I think if she was going to do it, it would have been done by now.

Hope you and baby are ok if you did do it.

I personally wouldn't as I have heard too many horror stories, my DS1 poo'd when he was inside me, that was from a medical induction. If I hadn't been at the hospital he would not be here today.

this will sound blunt, but I think it's a selfish act for your own selfish reasons, you know the risks yet your willing to still do it, you can't just fall pregnant then decide when you want your baby here! If your baby was ready to come, it would come, clearly he/she isn't.

Yes everything is a risk, but why would you purposely cause a risk to a baby who doesn't deserve it ?? We all get tired and uncomfy towards to end, that's pregnancy for you. But the sake of a week WHY !!! ????

Yes, I know it can be dangerous, and yes I know it maynot work. But Im trying anyway. Ive spent the last houror soresearching the pros and cons and how to do it safely.
Im scheduled for a sweep next week but would rather have the baby before that.
Keeping my fingers crossed this may work.

Hi mummie2be... Just wondering if there is any update??? If you did go through with it I really hope things went ok!
I know this thread has gotten very heated and it is not pleasant when that happens but just because a lot of us do not agree with the castor oil route I still want to wish you well.

I agree:) any update hun? Is baby here?:)

No judgement here. I'm going to admit to using castor oil here when I was overdue and had been in prodromal labour for three full weeks. I was absolutely desperate -- I was having regular, intense contractions during the day for that amount of time. So I tried castor oil twice. I researched it intensely beforehand, and it sounded like it was a rumour that it can cause the baby to poo. It doesn't actually go into the baby's system, it just affects your own GI tract. Ina May even says it's fine in her book.

So here's what happened: my contractions definitely increased in intensity, but they ultimately died off. I didn't even get any diarrhea the first time I used it, but I did vomit once. It honestly wasn't so bad, especially compared to being in early labour for 3 weeks. It wasn't as horrible as people make it out to be, at least to me. But then again labour wasn't painful to me either.

Anyway, it didn't work at all! On top of that, any mention of castor oil and/or orange juice now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up INSTANTLY. :sick:

HOWEVER, absolutely no meconium when I did eventually give birth naturally. I do suggest acupuncture instead though. That worked for me (or my body was tired of fighting it, who knows).

Birth story here :
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/1893167-my-birth-story-3-a.html

congrats xxx sooooo happy all went well for you x

There u go! Another positive castor oil birth story! Way to go Hun! Glad it went well xxx

See ladies, it's not always a case of doom and gloom.

Glad all went well in the end! Congratulations on your little girl!

See ladies, it's not always a case of doom and gloom.

Yes not all end in doom and gloom but some do and this would be the driving force behind most ladies not choosing the castor oil route.

Each to their own.

Birth story here :
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/1893167-my-birth-story-3-a.html

I am absolutely chuffed the birth went well, obviously I haven't changed my mind on how I felt in the first place, but the main thing is your both well and the birth went well, congratulations xxx :flower:

Would never advocate the route you chose but that was your decision to make.

At least you had a positive outcome. Congrats.

Give it up ladies, everything went well! Congrats op:)

Yaaaaaay baby! I love third tri - birth stories keep us all going :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->