cat lovers,I need your help and knowledge regarding cat flu

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Hey girls.
I didnt really know what else to do, I mean I have called a vet and Im having the cat taken in tomorrow for assesement, but I was looking for anyone on the forum who has had a cat suffer from feline flu.
My cat is a house cat and does not go outside- normally he is very very greedy and whines alot- the symptoms he is suffering from are runny eyes (which have cleared up a little) he hasnt cried once in 2 days, he is not eating, he keeps coughing/sneezing, he has weird saliva dripping from his chin when he coughs/sneezes and just today his breathing has become heavy and wheezy.

I know I should have taken him to a vet before now, but at the beginning I just thought he had runny eyes and it wasnt a problem.
He still moves, (only just) and will go to you if you shout him, but other than that he sleeps all day long.

My concern is that he may have Pnuemonia which is one of the complications of Cat flu if left untreated.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this disease as I am so totally worried that they may have to put him to sleep :(

PS: As long as I wash my hands, it cannot affect pregnant women, right?

Don't know much about it but I found https://www.yorkcats.org.uk/catflu.htm if you look at the bootom it gives some treatment tips. Hope he gets better soon

hi there, i used to work as a vet nurse prior to ewan and have seen lots of cats with cat flu -
You can't catch it so i wouldnt worry about that.

Has the cat been vaccinated? if so then it is unlikely to be cat flu or Felv /Fiv.

Cat flu can cause, eye ulcers and respiratory problems and once they have it it is difficult to get rid of, usually they will have long term anti biotics.

Best to see the vet, they can do blood tests for Felv and Fiv.

If your cat is quite snotty it is best to try and steam him i .e take him in to the shower room once someone has been in there as it can help clear their nose.
If they can't breathe very well they will not eat so try to tempt with smelly food like tuna, pilchards etc.

Get the vet to check his teeth and mouth as sometimes there will be ulcers, or he may have a coupleof bad teeth.

If he is insured you will be able to claim most of it back.
The vet can also offer a routine blood test to check all is ok with his liver kidneys etc.

Hope fully it is just a brief infection.

I doubt very much that they would suggest putting him to sleep at this early stage! - if they do go for a 2nd opinion!

hi there, i used to work as a vet nurse prior to ewan and have seen lots of cats with cat flu -
You can't catch it so i wouldnt worry about that.

Has the cat been vaccinated? if so then it is unlikely to be cat flu or Felv /Fiv.

Cat flu can cause, eye ulcers and respiratory problems and once they have it it is difficult to get rid of, usually they will have long term anti biotics.

Best to see the vet, they can do blood tests for Felv and Fiv.

If your cat is quite snotty it is best to try and steam him i .e take him in to the shower room once someone has been in there as it can help clear their nose.
If they can't breathe very well they will not eat so try to tempt with smelly food like tuna, pilchards etc.

Get the vet to check his teeth and mouth as sometimes there will be ulcers, or he may have a coupleof bad teeth.

If he is insured you will be able to claim most of it back.
The vet can also offer a routine blood test to check all is ok with his liver kidneys etc.

Hope fully it is just a brief infection.

I doubt very much that they would suggest putting him to sleep at this early stage! - if they do go for a 2nd opinion!
Thank you so much for your input, and thank you to Marley for the link.

My cat doesnt have a runny nose, infact its quite dry, but his eyes were watering quite alot.
As for his breathing, its only today that we noticed that rattling of his chect when he breathed- he most certainly did not have it last night!
He seemed to be getting better but now his chest has worsened.
He wont eat anything. I have tried Tuna, Salmon, Sardines- he just doesnt want it. He is drinking slightly but not much and his furr appeares to be all matted up, but this could be down to the fact that he hasnt really done anything, ie: wash etc:
He is very much alert and knows we are there- like for instance earlier when he was on the sofa, he was just laying down on his side looking like a cat would look if he was unwell, yet his head and eyes were watching everything around him.
He's only going to the toilet in small amounts which can be expected seeing as he wont eat anything.
As for the injections- No he hasnt had any at all as he was bred from within the family and we never let him outside, I saw no cause to get him injected as I thought only infections such as cat flu would be caught from being outdoors.
Its heartbreaking to see him the way he is right now and I sincerely hope its nothing more serious than cat flu and that it can be treated- we have left it 3 days now and I cant help but feel im responsible for it in some way. We didnt think there was much wrong with him aside from his runny eyes.

From a professional opinion and from what im describing.. does it sound like cat flu or wouldnt you really like to say?

I wouldnt try to self diagnose an animal, if hes sick then take him to the vet...

I really would take him to the vets asap. Its not fair to ask Hypnorm to diagnose as she can't see your cat. The vets will be able to make a diagnosis and treat him asap which is essential if your cat is poorly.

I hope your cat is ok. I have 4 and I know how horrible it is to see them poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->