Cats and pregnancy?

sn0wbunnie

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in...

I am TTC and have two cats. Is it safe for me to still clean their litter boxes or should I make the hubs do it? Also, can just breathing in the scent of urine/feces harm me? The 2 litter boxes are in our downstairs bathroom, but I am thinking about moving them to the basement. Any thoughts?

If you are actually pregnant, it's a good idea to have someone else actually clean them. The smell is not dangerous, although it is annoying. Just don't handle feces or litter. TTC though it's no problem. If you do need to handle it, wear gloves and a mask and then wash your hands after (not for the smell, for litter dust).

In all reality, if your cats are indoor they probably are safe. If your cats are indoor/outdoor and you have had them for a long time, you are probably already immune to the toxopolasmosis. However, its better to be safe than sorry and have someone else do it after you get your BFP. If your SO is willing and it would make you stress out less, he could go ahead and take care of it while TTC too, but I don't think it is really necessary.

The biggest risk for it is actually eating undercooked meat. Here is a good article that has tips for avoiding toxoplasmosis, and keeping your cat from giving it to you.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_toxoplasmosis-during-pregnancy_1461.bc?showAll=true

WSS^. It's best to have someone else clean the litter box if possible; if not, use gloves and face mask, and then thoroughly wash hands after removing gloves following cleaning the box. Even if you yourself are immune, I'd still worry about the possibility of it passing through the placenta, as Toxoplasma is teratogenic, so its honestly just best to avoid the litter box if possible. Gloves/mask if you have no other option.

Be careful not to get scratched either. Cat's can carry the toxo under their nails and it can enter your blood from there. Not saying its 100% or anything, just letting you know ^^.

P.S. I have 3 adorable kitties. DF cleans the boxes for me tho, he has even since before I became pregnant. My cats are not too bad with their claws either. Not to mention their inside kitties only and have all their shots.

Both of my cats are indoor cats.

But this is good... Gives me an excuse not to clean the litter boxes anymore! LOL.

Thanks for the article about meat. Very interesting!

I cleaned the litter tray of my cat. ( indoor cat) when ttc and throughout early pregnancy (and still would if I had to, but mil told hubby to do it lol)

If she was an outdoor cat that caught birds etc, I would have had a little more caution.

I did cat trays when i was pregnant with both my kids. I dont really see a problem if u keep on top of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->