Cervix length at 20 weeks

Becka79

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my OB told me at my 14 week scan that my cervix was 'nice and long' and I didnt give it any further thought.

At my 20 week 2 day checkup I asked about the length again as I was curious and it was 2.7cm. He then said he'd see me in 5 weeks for a checkup.

The normal length for cervix at 20 weeks is around 4-4.5cm so I'm concerned! This is my first pregnancy which took a few years to become a reality and I don't like reading that you're at risk of IC if you've had a previous second trimester loss! Like its just 'wait and hope for the best' with the first one.

Not sure if anyone can shed any light but thought I'd see if anyone is going through the same or has in the past?

Thanks x

Hi! Mine looked good at 16 and 20 weeks which my consultant said can mean nothing, had shortened by 1cm at j23/24 weeks which is apparently the crucial point for ic. Not only that but I was also dilating so I was put on progesterone pessaries.
They don't just look at length but other factors such as being effaced, dilated, soft etc.
The thing is by this point it was too late for cerclage - but you wouldn't want to get it done if it wasn't needed.
I've had steroid injections this week in case of early delivery.
Xx

Hi Raspberry,

Had you had a preterm baby previously? Was your 23/24 week check a routine appointment or did you go in because you felt something wasnt right?

Hope all goes well for you and your bub! Xx

I had a post term baby but treatment on my cervix 18 months ago which prompted the checks.
Xx

Mine measured just under 2.5 at 17 weeks probably due to a cone biopsy 8 yrs ago. My doc also prescribed progesterone sups and an off work note. Have another scan at 18 weeks to check on it. Maybe ask your doc if you could get a follow up scan sooner and ask about progesterone? A short cervix doesn't mean preterm birth for certain, but there may be an increased risk (10-20% from what I've read). Progesterone should decrease risk by 44-50% in women with a short cervix and no history of preterm birth.

Hi Summer, thanks for the info. I have been reading about it a bit more and have learned that preterm labour is a risk not a given so that makes me feel a bit better.
Ill talk to my doc but I guess I need to trust his judgement as well. I hope ive got nothing to worry about
Xxx

Your cervix is still considered normal according to my mfm dr. She's looking for anything less than 2.5, so maybe that's why your doc is not concerned.

Thanks Summer, yeh i just thought that he might want to check it a bit sooner than 25 weeks but maybe he has seen this type of thing many times before
Xx

I'm 20+3 now, my cervix was down to 2.2cm on Saturday when I was in hospital for preterm labour. That said even prior to this, my cervix has been shortish from 16 weeks, averages 3cm at most and I had been told to take it easy and get cervical length checks weekly.

This time it took terbutaline to stop the contractions and I'm now home on strict bedrest. I cant have a cerclage.

Short cervix itself doesn't always mean preemie, its taken as a bigger picture with a few other factors. Your past history, so surgeries, prior preemies (I have 5) and any other health conditions.

I'm on the P17 shots and for me they don't seem to be doing much but perinatology say they work really well.

I'd be expecting every couple weeks for a cervical length scan for 2.7cm:hugs:

I was just under 2.5 cm and my doc said I was borderline short. So she's doing weekly checks at the moment and vag progesterone with a note to be off work and orders to rest (not bedrest yet). My next check is tomorrow, will have been a week since my last check and so nervous to see how things are going :s

Good luck tomorrow summer! I'm Wednesday and nervous too!:hugs:

Def take that rest seriously, for me at least, I've found it makes a huge difference in outcome. Hopefully you can stay on modified rest/ take it easy for as long as possible. Full bedrest is not fun (well after the first few days lol) but if needed then its worth every second. I truly believe it was full bedrest that got my last child to 30 weeks before pprom, I have a genetic condition leading to this but on top had a massive sch and at 26 weeks a partial abruption. I 100% put getting further down to bedrest.

Why is everyone on vag progesterone and not the shots? Is it a UK thing? Do they work any different?

Just finished my mfm ultrasound and my cervix is now measuring normal! YAY! Shortest she measured was 3.5 and longest was 4.1. So either the progesterone, the rest at home or both must be doing it's job. Along with all the prayers :) So so relieved, at least for now.

I'm not sure the difference in vag vs inj progesterone. My dr was big on the vag sups but I've read lots of stories where people were recommended the inj as well.

I have absolutely no idea re shots via pessaries.
Summer I'm glad things are looking better for you.
Xx

summer, that's great news!
I'm on progesterone suppositories and have been almost my entire pregnancy.
I am also on modified bedrest...two weeks now. Hoping to hang in there to 37 weeks.

Thats great Summer! Is this your first pregnancy? Xxx

Yes this is my first, first time ivf. At least first viable pregnancy, had an ectopic over a year ago. We tried for about 4-5 years for this little one.

How is everyone?
Had my 19 week check today and still measuring 3.5-over 4 :happydance:

Hey, I wasn't meant to see my doc until 4 Dec but I had a few persistent aches and pains and a bit of pressure over the weekend so I made an appointment with him and saw him today (22w2d).

My cervix at 20w2d was 2.7 and it's now 2.4. He looked for a while and still said he's not concerned cos he can't see any funnelling. He has referred me for a vaginal ultrasound which I'll have next week to have a more detailed look. Im reassured by the fact that he saw no funnelling but yeh it's a bit worrying that it's gotten shorter. Hoping for the best! Baby looked great today too :)

Summer, this is my first ever preg, we did IVF too! :) good news about your cervix length! :)

Hey Becka...I was just reading over your posts and honestly your CL measurements aren't bad! I'm just over 29 weeks now; however,

@ 19 weeks: measure 2.1 with funneling and dilation. I was progesterone suppositories. Stayed working... but taking it easy. I go for scans every 10 days and measure between 1.2 and 1.9 but CLOSED!

I just count down days and look forward to every week I can mark off the calender.

A great website for info is keepemcookin.com maybe google it for the spelling but it totally made me feel better about what to expect :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->