Cesarean Section Questions

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know a good place to find practical accurate info on c-sections? I decided since it's looking that way for us that I needed to know a bit more, but don't want to terrify myself trawling the Internet reading horror stories!

I suppose I'm more interested in what happens afterwards and recovery rather than the actual procedure itself, like:

1. How do you wash? Can you get a bath?

2. Is it true you can't even lift your babies? If not, how do you cope with lifting them to feed them in the middle of the night? How long does that last?

3. How long does it take till you can get out and go for a walk?

4. How long does it actually take to heal so that you can drive? Is 6 weeks right?

5. How long does it take till you feel like normal and you can start exercising?

6. How long are you actually in hospital for? The stuff from the hospital says 5 days but I knew someone who was only in 2 nights with her first (and she couldn't get out of there quick enough!).

If anyone has the answer to these, thanks v much!

I cant answer too much as I havent had one myself, but your midwife or consultant should be able to give you a booklet on it, they gave me one when it was looking an option for me. Will tell you all your hospitals policies on it, as differnt hospitals vary.

1. Dont know, I should imagine its just gentle washing like with any other scar.
2.You are not ment to lift anything heavier than your baby, so you can lift them, and you should hold them close toyour body to reduce strain. You can get cesarian support belts btw which lok great, they have differnt inserts, like a hot pack and cool back for comort when healing, and a scar sheild to which can protect yoor scar from being kicked by the babies when your holding them.
3.Its advised that you try to move around as soon as you feel capable, dont push it, but even if its just a little toddle about the ward, this helps prevent constipation which can cause you a lot of pain otherwise.
4. You are advised not to drive till 6 weeks, due to reduced reaction time in breaking. even if you feel up to it, make sure you check your insurance policy as some will not cover you if you have had a section and then have an accident.
5. As for feeling like normal it varies a lot between different women. Generally by 6 weeks will hopefully be able to get around like normal, although you should aviod going back to normal exercise till 3 months
6. Hospital stay is up to you, some are out in 2 days others a week or so, just a case of when you feel ready, dont feel like you need to get home asap, at least in the hospital you ave midwives and nurses to help with the babies while you recover so make the most of this time.

Well as i had a c-section i will just answer as i found it myself so hope it helps..

In hopital i was advised to keep the dressing over the wound for a day then have a shower the next day and remove the dressing in the shower.

2. Is it true you can't even lift your babies? If not, how do you cope with lifting them to feed them in the middle of the night? How long does that last?
The first night was agony, and no i couldnt even lift jamie up so everytime he cryed i had to ring the bell to get the midwife to come and pick him up! but it does get better honest, the first few days are hard but you will get better with each day.

Well when i got home i walked up to town the next day and suffered a bit for it as my wound ached quite a lot after, id say just take things at your own pace and go out when you feel ready and comfortable.

4. How long does it actually take to heal so that you can drive? Is 6 weeks right?
They say 6 weeks as appartently you arent covered by your car insurance to drive for that amount of time after surgery, if you want to drive before that you need to ring your insurance company and tell them !!! however i didnt know any of this at the time, and they do saw 6 weeks as a rough guide but i felt fine after 4 weeks to drive.

5. How long does it take till you feel like normal and you can start exercising?
It took a good 4/5 weeks before i felt somewhat 'normal' again !

6. How long are you actually in hospital for? The stuff from the hospital says 5 days but I knew someone who was only in 2 nights with her first (and she couldn't get out of there quick enough!).
well, i went into labour on the monday, had him on tues then was allowed home after some begging on the thursday !!

Sorry if these have already been answered may be different for me.

24 hours and I could remove the dressing and shower

Couldn't lift the first night as I was sore, make sure you get good pain relief. It was also awkward with the drip and catheter, but the nurses were there to help.
I was out walking quicker second time around, the day after I was home. With Jonny it took a bit longer about a week.

4. How long does it actually take to heal so that you can drive? Is 6 weeks right? I was driving both times after 4 weeks, the insurance company said it was fine as long as a dotor had seen me and put it in my notes

They say at least 6 weeks before exercising and I returned to aquanatal after 8 weeks.
6. How long are you actually in hospital for? The stuff from the hospital says 5 days but I knew someone who was only in 2 nights with her first (and she couldn't get out of there quick enough!). The first time I had Jonny in the early hours of wed morning and was out on Sat, the second time I left exactly 48 hours after the time of birth.

Hope this helps,

Any thing else you want to know give us a shout, I have had both planned and elective sections so can give two different accounts. Frankie's birth story is on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->