Changes to pat and mat leave in UK

Dinah

Blessed
Reaction score
Hiya

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this or if its already been asked (I searched but couldn't find anything)

I'm aware there are some changes going to be made to pat and mat leave in the UK.

Pat leave is changing from April 2011 so that if mum goes back to work dad can take some longer paid leave (3mths paid I think).

Mat leave is still going to a european parliment vote but could be extended. Vote was supposed to happen early March, I can't find any info so guess it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know whether the pat leave extension (no way to know on mat leave since it hasn't been agreed yet) will only apply to those whose babies are conceived or born after April 2011 or will there be some other date? I've searched all ove rthe internet but can't find it out.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Dinah

My friend is doing her dissertation on this, and from what she has told me, it's the date of birth of the child, so baby needs to born after it comes into force. Hope that helps!

I dont think the plan is for longer PAT leave but to allow mum and dad to share the leave.

For example if mum is the main earner mum can do the first 3 months or so of her mat leave and then she can go back to work and dad stay at home with baby for the other 6 months. Not sure if or when this is coming in.

I dont think the plan is for longer PAT leave but to allow mum and dad to share the leave.

For example if mum is the main earner mum can do the first 3 months or so of her mat leave and then she can go back to work and dad stay at home with baby for the other 6 months. Not sure if or when this is coming in.

I hope it's that that comes in (I think it all depends on whether we have a change of government in the election or not - I think it's the Tories that are putting forward this proposal). I really hope they don't extend maternity leave, which I know is an odd thing to say given I'm a woman, but a year is already loads for an employer to keep your job open, and there's already enough discrimination against employing women of a certain age, so if maternity leave gets any longer I worry about how employers will deal with it, ie: not employing women in their 20s and 30s...

Actually, there is a plan for longer paternity leave. May not be the same plan as those outlined, but Labour have put forward a proposal for 6 weeks paternity entitlement at the statutory rate. So, that increases the current entitlement by 4 weeks. I think it's a step in the right direction, as it may in time help even out the gender bias issue. But the problem will be that families may not be able to afford to take the dip in dad's wages for 6 weeks, so it may not solve anything. Anyway, this is due to be voted on THIS April (so says my dissertation friend!) if Labour last in government for another month lol

And as for the more money thing, we discussed this in discrimination law last year, and figured that it would make more sense to give less time at a higher rate of SMP, because so few women can afford to take the whole year on such low rates, and with some of it completely unpaid (last 3 months I believe?) Personally, I don't see the benefit in the length of time you get off if you can't benefit from the time with your child because you are stuck worrying about money. The only current policy in parents favour is flexible working, and even that is not an absolute right! Makes me mad!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, its worth bearing in mind I guess. It will be longer pat leave as atm men can have 2 weeks unpaid and its going to be three months I believe paid at SMT rate but yeah, mum has to go back to work, but it is good that you can share the leave so dad gets bonding time too.

Take care all,
Dinah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back