Changing nursery

Cocoa

Reaction score
Hello!

It's 2am and I'm awake worrying about my daughter who is 3 in September. She's currently at nursery 2 days a week. There are 2 different nurseries in our town, both same chain but different areas. A small one up to 3 years and a lot larger one up to school age. We chose the small one as our daughter is quite shy and not great with other kids. We knew she'd move to big one when she was 3 but thought it would be a gradual approach.
We were just informed today that she will move up to the large one tomorrow and that they want her to be potty training. So not only does she go to a completely different nursery she's not going to have nappies on either (I've just been potty training at her pace, I've never pushed it). Personally I think this is far too much upheaval for her and I'm worried it's going to stress her out and affect her. ESpecially since we've had a new baby 2 months ago!

She might just take it all I'm her stride, but she started the small nursery in oct and has only just really settled in and got comfortable with staff.

Am I being unreasonable and over worrying? Should I complain about how's it's done? Tbh we've never been told how the transition would take place but I honestly thought it would be gradual - not told the day before! Should I complain to the nursery or leave it to see how daughter gets on?

Anyone else been in same situation?

Is there any reason she has to be moved so quickly? I would express my concern as that doesn't seem at all fair on your daughter to have no warning. Also with the potty training I would put my foot down and say you are following her lead on that. In my childcare experience it is not worth pushing if they are not ready it just prolongs the process

1 days notice is totally unacceptable, not only for LO but for you. We had 3 weeks notice for a room change (which I was worried about). I would definitely speak to them.

That's insane how can they give you a days notice as tell you now that suddenly you need to potty train her. Surely they have settling in days at the big nursery for them to acclimatise them at the bigger place? I've never heard anything like it - I'd complain as that is appalling for your daughter. Blimey that's annoyed me, I'm annoyed for you! x

Thanks for your replies - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's unacceptable. They just told me that a space had opened up and she was at the top of the list to transfer. I just feel like her feelings have not been taken into consideration.

My husband actually just called after dropping her off, he expressed his concern and the transfer is now happening next week instead, so that is a bit better as she'll have time to adjust to the potty training before then. So next week she'll have a half day at the big nursery and the following day she'll be in full day and that will be her starting the big nursery. I still would've preferred a more gradual approach but it's better than putting her in the big nursery and potty training today.

So, today is the end of nappies! Eek I'm scared!! It's typical as we just bought a huge box the other day!! I have been meaning to potty train as she does wee in the potty now and again, but Tbh I couldn't be doing with the mess (esp with having a newborn too) so I've always kept a nappy on. I guess this forces my hand to start it properly! She already wet herself before she left the house this morning, so I hope I've packed enough clothes for her!

Thanks again for your replies, I'm glad I'm not being the over-reactive mum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->