Changing your wedding ring?

sarahchops86

lexie and logan's mummy
Reaction score
Wanted to get a few opinions on this! I got married in may, with a 3mm lightweight 18ct white gold band. Was talking to DH yesterday about how I might like to change it for a 4mm heavyweight band Maybe with some small diamonds set into the band itself, as I don't want to continue wearing my engagement ring, my current band feels too thin to wear alone IYKWIM. Husband was shocked, said he thought I would think my wedding band was special... which it is i guess, but the marriage itself if the special part! I wear a band to symbolise the marriage just.

Has anyone else changed their band? How did your husband take it? I assumed my DH himself would change his band at some point as his is very lightweight and is scratched to bits already! I suggested maybe a platinum band for him and he was against it too! :flower:

I personally wouldn't change my wedding ring, and would probably be offended if DH wanted to change his.

I have seen loads of rings that are nicer than mine, but at the time, I got what I thought was a beautiful ring. My DH spent a fortune on my rings and although they are now not in fashion, I wouldn't change them for the world.

My DH works outside a lot and has had to have his ring reshaped about 10 times in the last 7 years! But it's still the same one I gave him on our wedding day x

I've recently changed my wedding ring but only because I have lost my first one and I didn't feel right replacing it with like for like in case my original one turns up.

If you had a religious ceremony then your wedding ring was blessed during the service so to me that particular ring was special, but saying that if I really wanted a new ring I would probably get the vicar to bless it for me :) my mum used to change her wedding ring every year pretty much lol.

I haven't changed my wedding band (we had a ring warming so personally I'd hate to change it) but a friend of mine did. I think to them, the ring itself wasn't so significant. It sounds like this means a lot to your DH. Maybe you could have some kind of private 'ring warming' (or blessing if you're religious) with the new ring?

We can only afford silver rings so I know it won't last forever and I'll have to swap later. :)

But it's ok, like you say the marriage is the important bit!

Just personal preference I think. Personally my wedding ring isn't significant, it was just a very cheap one from a high street retailer and if I saw one that I thought, "WOW!" I'd ask my OH to buy it for me.

My OH took his wedding ring off before we even got to the reception and subsequently lost it, so I doubt he'd be sentimental!

I'm too sentimental about it, but I know DH would be hurt if I wanted to change it. It was something we chose together though and spent a lot of money on as we felt it was something you'd never not wear, or change.

People look at them in different ways though. Some use it as a symbol of their marriage and thats it, to others its more personal. I'm one of those people who just wouldnt wear another, even if it was exactly the same, it wasnt that one at the wedding lol

I'm looking at changing my wedding ring. It was a cheap one that suited the purpose at the time. To me, the ring itself isn't important, it was the ceremony itself. We didn't have a religious ceremony so there was no ring blessing.

I doubt DH would be too bothered. He doesn't wear his ring much. He can't wear it at work so he never really bothers putting it on.

I can see why your husband was upset. Our wedding rings were quite cheap but we always assumed we would wear them forever unless they got lost. Having said that, 8 years on I'm not so sentimental about it and would perhaps consider replacing them one day in the future.

I have changed mine three times. OH couldn't care less. I had reason though. The first one was just a really cheap silver band that I put on after our registry office ceremony because although we didn't see that as our wedding, they made us switch rings. My engagement ring broke and I didn't like the ring alone. At our actual wedding, I bought myself an antique amber set ring to signify that that was our 'real' marriage, but it's too big to wear everyday as the stone is about a centimetre wide, so I bought a very cheap gold ring set from Asos which I wear one of on my wedding ring finger. I prefer no ring at all but a few times I've had creepy guys asking for my number in the street (??!) and I feel really awkward saying I'm married with no ring.

No. I wouldn't change it myself. Although I chose a ring with diamonds all around as I preferred it to a plain band.

I love it. It's got fond memories of me and hubby exchanging our rings.
It's a personal choice though.

I wouldn't, for the same reasons as some of the others - it's the actual one I got married with! Also mine is special, it's my nan's and great aunt's melted down together and made into a new ring with diamonds added. I'd die if I lost it!

I personally wouldn't change mine but I have seen lots of people on here say they buy cheaper rings when they get married and upgrade them later on!

I wouldn't, for the same reasons as some of the others - it's the actual one I got married with! Also mine is special, it's my nan's and great aunt's melted down together and made into a new ring with diamonds added. I'd die if I lost it!

Oh wow, how special is your ring?! That's amazing!

I personally could / would not change my wedding ring (or engagement ring). To me it's the ring that he spent a lot of effort, time and money to pick for me and it's the ring that bound us together on the wedding day itself. I know my husband would be incredibly hurt as well if I did choose to change it, and I'd feel the same if he did so.

I'm very sentimental about mine. It's actually too large for me now as I lost several stone since I was married, but I don't even want to get it resized as I feel it will be altering the original which doesn't sit right with me.

Dh has a new wedding ring though but only because he accidentally lost his in the sea in Spain in 2011. We searched for ages but couldn't find it. It was very disappointing.
His new ring looks nothing like his original, but it's nice anyway. But still not the same as having the original which was sad.

Both me OH will change our rings at some point. OH has already lost his so doesnt wear one, need to get him one but he's not too fussed. I don't really like mine its just a plain silver band but it getting scratched and bent already so ill just get a white gold or platinum band.

I personally wouldent. Alot of thought went into it and is a symbol of that time in our lifes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->