Changing your wedding ring?

My DH's is too big and can't be sized. I told him we could get exactly the same ring in a smaller size but he refused saying he only wants the one from our wedding day.

I have just changed both my engagement and wedding ring - in fact they were my christmas presents. When we got engageged we couldn't afford a real diamond ring and when we married we couldn't afford much so I had a cheap band. I now have a sparkly diamond and diamond set wedding band! We were always planning for me to changes rings. We are not religious so our rings were not blessed etc. I'm assuming dh is not bothered seeing as he got the new rings lol.

I wouldn't change mine. To me if it's not the one I got married in it's just a ring, no more special than any other. Mine has scratches but my mum says the scratches are like wrinkles, they show your life toghether :)

Wouldn't change my wedding ring...it was blessed,whats the point otherwise,its just a ring,like someone I knew,decided after a year she wanted a new engagment ring..I mean..what the hell?x

Wouldn't change my wedding ring...it was blessed,whats the point otherwise,its just a ring,like someone I knew,decided after a year she wanted a new engagment ring..I mean..what the hell?x

As I stated above I have just changed my wedding and engagement rings and as I stated above my reasons. Neither sets of rings are 'just another ring' they are a symble to the world I am married but on the other side of the coin the vows and promises that dh made to each other in MY opinion more important than bits of metal. (That last part may sound hypercritical because we changed my rings because they were cheap but it was dh who wanted me to have the 'best' I would have been happy with a curtain ring!)

As I stated above I have just changed my wedding and engagement rings and as I stated above my reasons. Neither sets of rings are 'just another ring' they are a symble to the world I am married but on the other side of the coin the vows and promises that dh made to each other in MY opinion more important than bits of metal. (That last part may sound hypercritical because we changed my rings because they were cheap but it was dh who wanted me to have the 'best' I would have been happy with a curtain ring!)

In that case any ring you wear on your wedding finger is a sign you are married and has equal (non monetary) value.

I honestly didn't mean to offend I was explaining how I felt, not saying anyone had to agree. We don't have to think the same things.

I also wasn't saying the vows weren't more important, no-one could argue that, we were talking about rings not vows. If we start doing that we'll go off on a tangent, i.e. I could afford a much better wedding dress now but I'm not going to get one and get my picture taken again because it will look nicer.

My DH's is too big and can't be sized. I told him we could get exactly the same ring in a smaller size but he refused saying he only wants the one from our wedding day.

Back on topic, so that his fits could you get his melted down and reshaped so it was a smaller size but a bit wider? It would fit but be the same ring.

On that note could you incorporate your existing ring into a new ring? Alternatively you could get an eternity ring to wear with your exisiting ring and you could have diamonds etc... in that?

I am unsure on this as a wedding ring would be really sentimental to me. But saying that I am looking to get my engagement ring swapped - When OH bought it we didn't have lots of money and we've always said we'd swap it for a more expensive one. I do love the one I have and will always keep it but we still want to replace it. But with a wedding one I don't think I would buy one I didn't want to keep forever iykwim xx

Yes, I would change my wedding ring. I was really disappointed in it from the start and would have had it re-done if I had had the time. I had it custom-made to fit my lovely vintage heirloom Edwardian engagement ring and I think it's really cheap and ugly-looking. I would never wear it on its own. Someday, if I come into extra $$ I'll do something about it. Until then, I just wear my engagement ring. That one I am sentimental about, the wedding ring, not so much.

I wouldn't change either of my rings, although if I lost one I would replace it. It would feel just... well, daft to replace my engagement ring because I'm not engaged any more! I would possibly have changed it before we were married but it seems odd to me to change it after the wedding. Just don't wear it if you don't like it. Our wedding rings are just plain bands because that's what a wedding ring is to me (the engagement one is the pretty one!), so there wouldn't be any point any way.

If I really had to replace it due to it not fitting, I would get my original ring melted down and remade into a new one. OP, obviously it depends on your engagement ring but is there any way you could get both of your rings melted down and combined into one wedding ring? Then you are making your wedding ring more special by including your engagement ring which you wouldn't wear otherwise.

my husband as just bought me a new engagement and wedding ring for Christmas I have had my previous ones for 9 years they were only cheap ones and he wanted to get me a new one now we can afford it, my old rings will still remain special to me though as these where the rings we got married with.

Over the 50 years of my grandparents marriage my grandma must have had 3/4 different engagement and wedding rings. From loosing them to not fitting.

I think it's the vows you say that mean the most not the ring.

I never even wore a ring for about 2 years because mine didn't fit (got fat) and dh never wore his for a year as he had probs with his knuckles which ment it didn't fit right. One day we randomly decided to get new ones, but we got silver instead of gold this time. I lost weight and now wear my original gold and dh still wears his newer silver one

The actual ring really doesn't mean that much to me, yes it's nice I wear the ring he actually married me with, but tbh when I wore no ring/a different ring, it wasn't significant, our marriage was still the same

I wouldn't change mine, the set is classic platinum 5 st 0.25 cr each & a 1 cr solitaire. But I bought a gold set (10 st & 0.5 cr solitaire) as the original set doesn't always match my watch & what I'm wearing. Both sets are quite expensive, so I'm planning to get a simple band to wear it when I go to the gym & so on. I lost a diamond from the 10 at band & it will cost me over £100 to replace it, this is why I want to get a cheaper band with no diamonds for everyday use. I don't see an issue if the original ones are kept.

My rings weren't blessed as we didn't have a religious ceremony.

We both changed ours after seven years of marriage. I much prefer the ones we have now and hope not to change them.

Dh has had and lost 3, I have 2 and neither fit.
I wear a different dress ring most days.
Id get your original rings made into something else.
I'm going to have a few pieces of jewellery made into one soon.
Xx

Oh and you can always get rings re blessed for those that way inclined xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"