Chicken Pox and premmies

clairec81

Reaction score
Well my little boy who is 3 in November had chicken pox a few weeks ago and he has been very generous and shared it with his little sister. We knew there was a good chance she'd get it but as the days went on we thought she may have escaped it - no chance, some spots yesterday morning and loads more this morning! Oh well lets hope she gets over it soon! Asked pharmacist and he said just treat her the same as i did him so gather its not too bad an illness, lets hope so!

Hi there. How prem was your little one? Babies acquire mother's immunity to chicken pox in the womb, so up to a year old most babies either don't catch it, or if they do it is a mild illness.

Passive immunity from mum is usually acquired from 30wks onwards in utero, which is why preemies are at risk of infections because if very prem, they haven't had a chance to get this immunity.

Unless your baby is on steroids then it is likely she'll have a mild illness, but if she was extremely prem (ie before 28wks) I'd just mention it to your doctor - they can give anti-virals if necessary. Take care x

Its going around the nursery at the moment.. I am just waiting for Chloe and Jaycee to get it!!! I bet it happens at the wrong time lol

I know what you mean - Erin took it the day after i returned to work, 11 months off and she takes chicken pox my second day back - typical eh!

I know what you mean - Erin took it the day after i returned to work, 11 months off and she takes chicken pox my second day back - typical eh!

Yeah just before a holiday or just as you have used up all your time off!

Hopefully she's over it now. The only downside is, I'm led to believe if they have it so young they can still get it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->