Chicken Pox

Lady-K

Mum of two cheeky girls
Reaction score
A girl in my form has just been diagnosed with this. She had it all yesterday and I was in close, although not physical, contact with her.

Thing is, I can't remember if I've had it. And my parents can't remember either.

So, I know there can be complications - but what are they at this stage?

And how the hell do I find out if I've had it?

Advice please!

Hi

Call your mw and ask her to do a blood test to check your immunity to chicken pox.

I had to do this on Monday after spending all day Sat with my sister who woke up on Sunday with chicken pox! Great! :cry:

When I rang my mw she said I would find out on Weds or Thurs. They didn't even need to take my bloody again as in my instance they are using blood already taken.

Good luck, I'm sure you're fine. Apparently 90% of adults are immune.

:hugs:

Agree with MelReb. Just get a blood test done for immunity to chicken pox. However I've read that for those who got immunity through vaccines, have a tendency to get shingles (a type of chicken pox). So testing is still best done.

My DD had chicken pox when I was about 29/30 weeks pregnant so I looked it up a lot - apparently if you get it before about 36 weeks gestation (and after about 24 weeks) then it is the safest time to get it - basically your baby would be born immune to it as it can get it in utero and recover. If you are past 36 weeks it can be dangerous as a baby born with chicken pox can be very ill. If you have been in contact now it takes about a week to show so you would be about 34 weeks pregnant when it started and should be fine.

I was in very close contact with my DD and she had it quite badly, but I had had it and didn't pick it up. The chances that you have had it are actually quite high but you can alsways get a test to find out. Nonetheless this is the safest time to get it. Good luck - hope you do not get it. Oh yes, and if yu are not immune you can also have the vaccine now - I think you need two a month apart.

Just to echo what Tanikt said, All 3 of my kids had it this pregnancy when i was about 19-22 weeks gone i asked MW and she said its only dangerous in the 1st 12 weeks or last 4 weeks dont worry xxxx

Thanks ladies. Saw MW today anyway and she rang hospital who still have blood samples frozen for me so they're going to test that, just in case. She said it's dangerous in First Tri when they are developing. But in Third Tri you can actually pass the virus onto babs, meaning it could be born with the pox. That could be a bit nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->