Child Care Worries

aflight84

Mummy to a princess x
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I was wondering if any of you out there are worried what happens after baby arrives.

My Husband and I have a lot of outgoings each month that we just couldn't afford to pay if I gave up work, thankfully my mum has offered to help look after the baby but her health isn't so great so I'm a little worried about that.

The two options I have are to either wait 4 years until all debt is paid off or think what the hell, do it now and struggle. Others people do it all the time?

I just want to know that I can give my child all that it needs and wants.
I could go to just 4 days a week and only be £150 a month worse off which is always an option but i couldn't afford to do any less hours than that.

What would you do?

Anna

I def worry about it but I try to put it at the bak of my mind for now we'll worry more about it when we have a baby which hopefully wont be too long away x

We are the same and I have been looking into it and a full time nursery placement in our area will cost anywhere between 590.00 and 740.00!!
I am thinking that we will be saving as hard as possible until we get pregnant and then save during pregnancy and that will allow me to have a full year of on maternity leave and then we will have to use full time nursery place until the baby is 3 I think, then you get 15 hours a week funded place through the government I am sure (in the UK).
My parents cannot look after the baby as they both work and OH parents are a bit older than mine so although retired are not really fit to do it so I would never ask either of them.I have tried to work out different working options and trying to calculate what full time placement costs would be if I went back to work full time, and then part time placement costs etc but it would not be worth working.......its a vicious circle but I am sure we will manage!
It would be nice to be a stay at home mum but with mortgages etc the way they are and the rising costs of food and bills we can't afford for me to gove up work......
I am trying not to think about if we want a 2nd as we could def not afford 2 child care places!!

Sounds like i've bought you a bad subject sorry girls! Sounds like i'm not the only one to worry about it.
My mum is ok to look after the baby part time (max 4 days a week) but her health isn't 100% either so i don't want to expect her to do it even though she's offered.
I can't even afford to go on maternity for the full 6 months as soon as they stop full pay i'll have to go back as things would be stupidly tight on smp!

I guess we'll find a way to cope and i'll make sure every moment counts.

I am going to see what my employer says about saving my annual leave and tacking that onto mat leave (so in effect it is 4 weeks fully paid leave) and remember you will get child allowance (think its 18.00 a week) and poss tax credits, for us I think it works out to 122.00 a month in total, so that will help too.
Can't ask them yet though as I do not want them to know my plans as yet, time for that when I get pregnant!

I guess so many people have done it....they must manage somehow, why should we be any different!

i know your right - i'm sure i'll be fine. you can definately take your holiday just save it up and put in a request to take it before you go off on mat leave. although you may want to keep a little leading up to going off for days out baby shopping and stuff!

As for tax credits i really don't want to go there. I don't trust them not to mess it up and then end up owing them money.

Hi girls! I am in the states and we don't get extra money for childcare. My daughter attends daycare full time and its $640 a month and now that we are pregnant with two in daycare it will be $1280, thats almost double our mortage. My mom doesn't work and hopefully she will watch the oldest as she doesn't having to take care of a newborn well. To be honest we don't have a clue how we are going to do it. Hoping to figure it out soon.

Daycare is ridcalous, we can't afford not to work but can't afford to quit either. If your lucky enough to have a grandparent that doesn't mind its the best option! Daycare is the one thing i never thought about but in the end turns out to be the biggest expense that few think about. Be perpared, though im not saying wait five years just find a plan that works for you!

Hiya,

Well we both work F/T and have a 2yr old, i wont lie it isnt easy. We couldnt afford to do less hours or anything like that either because of the mortgage ect.

Fortunatley my mum has Callum during the week from 7-5pm mon-fri, so we havnt nursery costs but we still find it difficult but i do believe that there is no perfect time when money comes into it, only if you won the lottery or something, we thought what the hell and we done it and have never regreted it since.

Nat x

Hey Nat,

I agree with you its so hard to find the "right" time
Thankfully mum said she can have the baby during the week but i don't want to make it full time as it's not fair on her so i'm going to sort out doing 4 days a week for sure once i know I'm PG.

Does your son mind being away from you all day Mon-Fri or is he just happy to be with his nan?

Hi
Im in a similar position to you. Although we have no family local to rely on for support. We cant afford a baby if we work out the figures on paper but then who can? I think we are going to have to go with our hearts and not our heads on this one. A happy accident would be great right now if you know what i mean!!!! It would take the big descision out of our hands. Think we are going to try in September.

Hey LucieLu,

We're kinda trying not but without proper cycles because of the stupid depo shot i don't really like to call it trying as i don't know what's going on in my body.

I'm trying not to worry about what will happen next. If we're lucky enough to fall pregnant the rest will fall into place i'm sure!

Hiya,

No i dont think he minds, well he loves being round his nan and grandads and he gets spoilt.

Admittley it was v hard when i went bk to work, Callum only being 6mths old and it still felt to early but it was the right thing to do. I was thinking of things like not doing his breakfast, lunch and dinner and missing his milestones, like when he first crawls, first steps but we didnt miss anything, we saw it all. He doesnt seem to bothered by us being at work for so many hours during the week, also when i pick him up, he always gives me a massive hug and big smile, so it doesnt seem so bad. Also i can have a little extra money to do nice things with him ect.

Im sure the mat leave has gone up to 9mths now, someone in my office is due in Sept, she is having 9mths now instead of 6mth.

Nat x

Hey Nat,

I think you can have upto a year if you can afford to go on SMP and then no pay but unfortunately with bills to pay that's not an option for me right now so i'll be off for 16 weeks then back to work! But after talking to all of you I'm not worried about it now. I know my baby will get all the love it needs from me and hubby and from nan while it's with her too!

Thanks girls

Anna x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"