Childcare confusion!

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I had a job interview on Thursday which I think went well. Today I'll find out if I've been successful and will be starting either sometime this week or on Monday.

The trouble is that I don't know what to do about childcare and how it all works. I've found a few nurseries online that I need to go and look around. If I find one that me and LO are happy with and they can fit him in what will happen next?

Ideally I'd of liked to gradually introduce LO to nursery but that's not going to be an option.

How many weeks upfront do nurseries usually ask for? And how long does it take for tax credits to change over to include childcare?

Tia x

It'll depend on the nursery as to how quickly they can get you in, we only had a few week's notice but I managed to do settling in sessions the week before, I can't imagine many nurseries would be happy for them to start immediately with no sessions tbh but it's something you need to discuss with them. I would recommend explaining to your employer you need at least 2 weeks notice tbh (if you had of left a job chances are you would of had a notice to serve), or if you've got family who can help with settling in sessions just for a week?

Tax credits can not be changed until you start work.

My nursery asks for childcare upfront monthly, we pay by direct debit on the first of the month, I'm returning to work first week of September which is when DS2 starts and DS1's hours will increase, so I will be getting a very large bill to be paid on the 1st and I won't get paid until end of September, TC have told me it'll go in in a few days after I have informed them, we've prepared for it but it's still going to be a tight month! Some nurseries might be more flexible and let you pay a week or two only giving you time for TC to get in, thankfully mine doesn't do retaining fees or deposits.

Good luck, hope you get it.

Riley needed 4 months notice to start nursery - but that was a very popular nursery in our area. Some others asked for a couple weeks.

We did two settling in sessions.

They asked for a week deposit for Riley to hold his place (£168), but then you pay a month up front at Riley's nursery rather than once the month is over - so £680. If you already have a Child Tax Credit claim, working tax credits take about 10-14 days to sort out. (Of course it's backdated) . If you don't already have a child tax credit claim, it can take 4-6 weeks apparently. x

Some have waiting lists some don't. The one my LO's go to they like to know a term advance before the LO starts but they're really accommodating and if you explain situations they're really helpful usually. When my LO first started when she was just 9 months old, we went to look round first, I took LO and my Mum, they let my LO join in with activities and she had a lovely time so that's what helped make my decision, she then started about 4 weeks later.
For the fees, we get given September fees in August, so I've just had them and they have to be paid by September 1st so we basically pay a month in advance and I pay by bank transfer as that's what I find easiest.

You'll need to do settling in sessions. We did 1 hr with me, 1hr without, 4 hrs without then the full session. They needed £100 registration fee then a months fees upfront (cane out of my pocket as tax credits dont work like that).

You'll need to do settling in sessions. We did 1 hr with me, 1hr without, 4 hrs without then the full session.

You don't necessarily! I signed my LO up 3 months before she started. It was three months because i asked for it to be, i don't think there was a waiting list or anything. I was encouraged to take her in and sit with her while she watched the other kids playing so when it came to starting there she wouldn't be so panicked. I ended up being really poorly with my morning sickness and didn't leave the house for quite a while so we didn't do any of the 'pop in' days. I took her in the morning she started and she was really nervous but no tears. We sat at a table and did some colouring with other kids and the staff. After half an hour i told her i was leaving and kissed her, she started to cry.

She ran after me crying, but the lady scooped her up. She's been there 3 weeks now and she loves it. She's already so much more confident and she doesn't cry when i drop her off anymore. :thumbup:

Sorry i don't have any advice on how your local nurseries would work, but i know some don't have waiting lists, but whether they can take your child at such short notice i am not sure. I was always concerned about this myself. Just saying that not everyone asks you to do introductory sessions so that might be a help if you need to get your LO in quickly.

P.s My LO was just coming up three when she started.

Thanks for your replies ladies :flower: unfortunately I didn't get the job but I'll keep all your advice in mind for when I finally do get a job :thumbup: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->