Childcare help

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I need some advice on where to find childcare because I'm totally desperate.

I've been offered my dream job. They wanted me full time, but I said due to university commitments, and having LO who has a variety of needs, part time to start with would be better. They're okay with this, so I'm looking at 2 or 3 full days. We've just moved to a new area and I thought finding a childminder to look after LO before and after nursery school would be really easy, but I've been searching for months, and I've spoken to every childminder on the government list for this area and no one will take him. I've asked at the school and they don't know anyone who could help, he can't go to breakfast club as he's too young. I've asked around OH's friends and no one can take him before school, so I wouldn't be able to get to work on time, the local nurseries won't have him, I've even advertised on Netmums but nothing . Honestly I want to cry I'm so frustrated! Does anyone know of any other avenues I could try? I desperately want this job.

Childcare.co.uk website or look at gumtree obv just make sure they have and up to date dbs and references x

Does the nursery school he is going to have a local private nursery anywhere near it? My lo used to go to private nursery 8-9 then they look her across to school nursery and picked her up at 12 and she stayed there till one. Is it only for an hour in the morning you need other childcare? If so there maybe child minders that just do school drop offs and pick Ups? See if there is a childrens centre near by they may be able to help?

Does the nursery school he is going to have a local private nursery anywhere near it? My lo used to go to private nursery 8-9 then they look her across to school nursery and picked her up at 12 and she stayed there till one. Is it only for an hour in the morning you need other childcare? If so there maybe child minders that just do school drop offs and pick Ups? See if there is a childrens centre near by they may be able to help?

Nope local nurseries only charge for a full day (£40) and basically I'd have almost no take home pay with that after travel and tax and stuff. Not eligible for help either, apparently. No childminders at all, I have asked every single registered one in our area. Not sure about the children's centre, but surely they can only recommend Ofsted registered people? Which is the list I've already exhausted.

Would work to be willing to be flexible with start time?

Unfortunately, I had to give up work earlier this year due to losing our childcare (In Laws). When we priced up how much it would cost for two children, it would have wiped out my entire wage....tax credits would have amounted to £1.50 per month (for us, a lot of the days would not have been required due to DH's shifts but still would have needed to pay as I couldn't find one that was flexible with the days)

They might, but honestly I'd feel awful messing them about like that. I am just hoping it doesn't come to it because they could well turn around and say I'm more hassle than I'm worth.

We gave up finding a childminder for Abby. No-one was able to take her at all, but we had her at nursery 3 days a week. My salary more than covered it, but here's what I'd be thinking if I were you. If it is a dream job, that job will last longer than the couple of years she is at nursery. Even if for a year or two your salary is swallowed by childcare, you will still have the dream job when she goes to school. Then the breakfast and after school clubs can provide childcare. If you are a low earner, you may qualify for childcare credits, and even if you aren't, ask your new employer to join a voucher scheme. It costs them nothing and you can sacrifice up to 243 a month for childcare vouchers tax free, which helps a bit too.

Just another thought, have you directly asked any of the SEN staff at the school? They might be willing to provide help at home in the mornings. We never got to that stage but someone suggested it to me and I think some of them might have been open to the idea.

Just another thought, have you directly asked any of the SEN staff at the school? They might be willing to provide help at home in the mornings. We never got to that stage but someone suggested it to me and I think some of them might have been open to the idea.

Thanks, yeah I have, but they can't and don't know of anyone either. I even asked if they knew of any parents who may be willing to help out (I'd pay) but they don't. I'd put him in nursery full time for two days and use his 15 free hours towards it but he desperately needs the help of the SENCO and to carry on with the statementing process, and school seems to be really good for him, whereas I've had him in a normal nursery and he didn't thrive at all.

Thanks, yeah I have, but they can't and don't know of anyone either. I even asked if they knew of any parents who may be willing to help out (I'd pay) but they don't. I'd put him in nursery full time for two days and use his 15 free hours towards it but he desperately needs the help of the SENCO and to carry on with the statementing process, and school seems to be really good for him, whereas I've had him in a normal nursery and he didn't thrive at all.

We split the funding, kept Abby in her school nursery for two sessions, and had the private nursery on the other three days. You could also approach the local authority and ask them to put a SENCO into the private nursery for his other days. If he is entitled to it in the school nursery, and you are taking funding elsewhere, they really should provide it. They may well refuse but it's worth fighting for.

They may offer wrap around childcare at the childrens centre? That's what my lo's did, she started there at 9months 5 mornings a week and that cost me £21.00 a morning. When lo was three, they charged me £2.50 from 8.00 till 9.00 which included breakfast, took her to pre school and then charged me £5.00 from 12.00 till 1.30 when she had dinner, so it cost £7.50 per day? It might be worth asking if the childrens centre do that kind of set up?
Also is it a school nursery or a private nursery lo is at? If its school nursery then he may be able to go to breakfast club at the school? Some of the nursery kids at lo's school do? If its private nursery is there no option to pay for extra hours?
Do none of the nurserys do half days you could pay for? When I was looking for lo all of the ones I looked at had half day or full day option? I no he may not need half day childcare but may be worth paying for if its your dream job.
Sorry if you have tried everything I have suggested, childcare was such a major hard issue for me, so just trying to get some ideas to you.

Just had a quick thought, if your child is three and at pre school you will only need wrap around care and not full childcare...you may be able you find a child minder or nursery that just offers wrap around care? Again just ideas for you, like I said previously I also had a real nightmare with childcare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->