Children and alcohol in their own home

not sure on how young it is, I thought it was 12 or something but yeh they dont have to be 18 to drink at home. x

I think Nic is right, it does go back to the old days.

I know my nan used to put a drop of whisky on the LO's dummies when they were babies some 30/40 years ago now.

I think the first time i ever tried alcohol was when i was about 12 and it was bucks fizz at christmas

I in all honesty don't see the problem with a PARENT giving their 5year old a small drink of alcohol on occasion with a meal. I think introducing alcohol with meals helps deter (sp) children from the whole binge drinking attitude. Obviously you don't give spirits and never alot but I don't have a problem with a drop of wine maybe mixed with pure orange juice. I would however have a problem with someone else giving my child alcohol as I think it is something that should be controlled and allowed by the parent only

I would never in a million years give a 5 year old an alcoholic drink however small. Infact I would wait until they were 14-16. Five years old seriously... why would you do that?

In Canada, underage drinking under parental supervision is permitted at home in the provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Saskatchewan. In BC, only children of the supervising parents are allowed underage drinking, not any other minors or guests. Underage drinking is considered under 19 in Ontario.

My friend started drinking wine when she was 2. She hates the stuff now :rofl:

I would never in a million years give a 5 year old an alcoholic drink however small. Infact I would wait until they were 14-16. Five years old seriously... why would you do that?

I personally think it helps them appreciate it more when they are older and not kick the arse out of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
https://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_legall_age_to_drink_alcoh_ol

i agree! I would go careful on pop at 5 let alone alcohol!

I personally think it helps them appreciate it more when they are older and not kick the arse out of it

A 5 year old does not understand the consequence of their actions, nor do they understand the concept of alcohol.

In Canada, underage drinking under parental supervision is permitted at home in the provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Saskatchewan. In BC, only children of the supervising parents are allowed underage drinking, not any other minors or guests. Underage drinking is considered under 19 in Ontario.

I didn't know this and I live in New Brunswick :rofl:

A 5 year old does not understand the consequence of their actions, nor do they understand the concept of alcohol.

Exactly, so surely its like spiking them with alcohol?!?! They dont know what it does!! i think that law is stupid!!

my mum would give me the odd alcholic drink on special occassions when i was around 12plus but im still a binge drinker.

but i did start gettin into night clubs at 13 my mum had no idea tho i was a good liar.

when zanes older i will give him the odd drink but i wudnt start at the age of 5 thers no need for it

But at 5 years old............they're too young to even understand fully what alcohol is and the effects.
I'd be more than happy to sit down with a 10/11 year old and explain what alcohol is and dangers etc etc. Then later on 13/14 offer them a tiny amount mixed in with lemonade or juice during celebrations. I'd try my hardest to make sure they didn't drink on the streets or binge drink etc but I certianlly would start offering it at 5!!

Its madness :wacko:

I think the drinking age should be 21 or 25 in this country.

I didn't know this and I live in New Brunswick :rofl:

The legal drinking age in Canada varies depending on which province you are in.

The legal age at which alcohol can be purchased and consumed in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec is 18 and in all other provinces this age is 19.

The consumption of alchol by persons under these ages is permitted on licensed premises in the Mantoba and New Brunswich and consumption is permitted at home in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Price Edward Island and Saskatchewan.

In all the above circumstances drinking by a minor must be carried out under adult supervision.

This may have been why I didn't know this in New Brunswick. I'm confused tho because at the restaurant I work at we are not allowed to serve alcohol to a minor even if they are with a guardian. licensed premises?

Yepp your allowed to drink at any age, thats why babys in paris have wine in there bottles :lol:

So if you lived in amsterdam - would it be ok to give a child a slice of space cake :shrug:

I just can't understand..............

I'm pretty sure aswell if you go for a meal in a restaurant then with parents permission you can have beer, porter, wine or sherry, i think the age for that is 14??

EDIT maybe 16??

Yes at the age of 14 you are allowed a drink of wine with you meal!

found it...

Any child over the age of five can drink alcohol at home or on other private premises. It is an offence to give alcohol to a child under 5, even in her/his own home.

its 5..
got that from https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/family_parent/family/faq_index_family_scotland/faq_family_legal_age_drinking_and_smoking_scotland.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->