Chiropractor?

kdmalk

Reaction score
I have been going to the chiropractor regularly since early February and my chiropractor was really pleased when I became pregnant, as she was hoping getting me all sorted out would help us to conceive a healthy bean.

I am now just over 7.5 weeks and I can't help but get super nervous every time I go. I know the benefits are great, and that it is supposed to be completely safe, but given my history, I quietly panic every time she has adjusted my lower back and sacrum because I am terrified the baby is going to get knocked around and cause me to miscarry (I don't think that is a real concern, but pregnancy is known to make people a little nuts).

She isn't doing anything differently right now and says they typically don't until about 14 weeks (or until I get a belly). I come in and they do this little vibrating massager thing all over my back for a minute or so, then I get adjusted, then go to the roller table for about 10 minutes. She is still pushing on my lower back over where my belly and hips are. Obviously she knows what she is doing and I don't, but is that okay? I know my uterus inside my pelvis at this point, but it still scares me.

Am I panicking for no reason? I love her and would be mortified to quit going and explain my sudden departure with something like, "I am afraid you are going to knock my baby out by adjusting me!" She knows my history and has offered lots of advice on having a healthy pregnancy this time, but I just can't shake this terror that I am doing something wrong when I get adjusted.

Someone just tell me I am being nuts so I can calm down. This is only the second time I have been since I found out, and I just don't want to lose this baby. She even commented today that I seemed a little anxious, so she has me scheduled to come in more often to try to relax me. :haha:

I go to a chiropractor for occasional "tune ups" because of my back problems (and have been going off and on for over 10 years). I continued throughout my pregnancy without any problems. At my chiropractor's office they use an ultrasound thing on the back to warm up the muscles and they stopped doing that when I was pregnant. When I got a belly, they dropped a panel in the table.

A good family friend who used to be my chiropractor as a teenager called me to make sure I was still getting adjusted during pregnancy! :)

My baby was head down way in advance so I don't know if getting adjustments had anything to do with it. It gets a little interesting later on with a big belly (just like everything gets a little interesting), but as long as your chiro is trained and experienced working with pregnant women I wouldn't worry! :)

i am a trained massage therapist and i prcatice pregnancy massage. i have always been taught not to treat women in the first trimester (although i think this may be to do with insurance) and when i do a pregnancy treatment i am cautious around the lower back as i am aware that there are some pressure points in that area that stimulate the reproductive system. that and a point on top of the shoulders called the supra scapula fossa which has a descending effect on the body.

i personally wouldnt feel right having a massage treatment during the first trimester for these reasons.

however chiropractic is so different and they are so much higher trained than us and i am sure they know exactly what they are doing and covered pregnancy treatment during their training. if i were you i would speak to your chiropractor about your concerns and dont worry if you think it sounds silly (i would definitely be asking lots of questions if i was having chiropractic), it is much better for you to get peace of mind. i am sure she will completely reassure you and everything will be fine.

you will benefit from your treatment a lot more if you are fully relaxed too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->