Choosing popular baby names?

I wouldn't want my daughter to be the 10th Maya/Sophia/Maddie/Olivia/Emma in kindergarten, but that's just me :)

I just don't get why it's an issue if there are people with the same name?! If you love a name you love a name. Others obviously love it too if it's popular! Why people deliberately don't choose a name they like simply because there are others around is beyond me!

As a mum of a 'Jack' I did consider him being one of a few. But it didn't bother me (obviously as I went for it lol). Actually he doesn't have any little friends called
Jack so far. I think it may have been especially popular 4 or 5 years ago... He has a Coby and a Dylan and a Leon...

For this baby we are thinking Lily if it's a girl. Same issues but I simply love it so that's that!

I just don't get why it's an issue if there are people with the same name?! If you love a name you love a name. Others obviously love it too if it's popular! Why people deliberately don't choose a name they like simply because there are others around is beyond me!

As a mum of a 'Jack' I did consider him being one of a few. But it didn't bother me (obviously as I went for it lol). Actually he doesn't have any little friends called
Jack so far. I think it may have been especially popular 4 or 5 years ago... He has a Coby and a Dylan and a Leon...

For this baby we are thinking Lily if it's a girl. Same issues but I simply love it so that's that!

That's obviously the same view point as many people otherwise the lists wouldn't all be so consistent. The names at the top are nice ones hence the popularity!

If I loved a name that was in the top 10 id use it, but I dont look at the top 10 purposefully for inspiration as id prefer a name thats not unusual but not 5 in his class. It doesnt always work out anyway, when we chose noah for ds it was about 65 in top 100, just 2 years later and I think its no 16, so theyll prob end up been a few in his life. Just go for whatever name you love.

I'm a claire Louise lol! I actually liked having the same name as some other people.

Plus I can always find claire on mugs, key rings etc! And everyone knows how to say it etc No one will look at my cv and reject me for it etc

Aiden is actually one of our possibles, and I wouldn't say it was THAT common to be fair.

Before I was pregnant I thought I would avoid popular names but once you fall in love with a name, does it matter?

Our son is going to be called Noah and it is getting more and more popular each month but we love it so much we don't care :)

And who's to say you pick an uncommon name and then it becomes really popular?

Now that I know I'm Team Blue, I've been thinking of baby names.
I've mentioned to people I like Brandon, Aiden and Jacob. Several people have told me not to pick a popular name like Aiden or Jacob because the baby is likely to have many people in their class with the same name.

I never even thought about that. Is this something you guys take into consideration?:wacko:

The names I picked are very popular in UK at the moment; a coincidence as I live in Spain and don't have anything to do with UK trends. I'm going with my names anyway. Only thing I took into consideration is how my shortlist will be pronounced here, but having a popular name is okay. There were two other Emmas in my class at school and we liked sharing a name.

I don't have popular names but I am NOT thanking my parents for that! People always mispronounce and misspell my name, always, and I hate it :cry: So even if you want something that is not very popular, at least go with something known, something people can write and read easily. Or at least give a 'normal' middle name so your child could have a choice.

My name is very unusual I've heard it 3 times in my whole life !! I wanted my children to have names people knew how to pronounce as that's always been a problem with my name lol but didn't want them to be too popular my oldest is Danielle as I didn't know of any when she was born when she went to nursery a class of 6 had 4 Daniels n her!! One of the other names I chose became very popular afterwards in various forms so I think if u like it use it no matter what u name your child there will ways be someone with the same name but if u love it who cares x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->