Choosing to have IVF - not on NHS waiting list

Mrs R

Reaction score
This is just another rambling thread from me girls (can you tell I'm bored today coz I'm off work!)

I was wondering if you can choose to have IVF, without actually getting to that stage on the NHS?

What I mean is that I have been ttc for 2 years now with PCOS, and have only managed to get 5 cycles of clomid on the NHS in that time. There's a possibility of me having FSH injections over the next few months as clomid was unsuccessful, but this is something my consultant said he would 'think about' :growlmad: at my next appointment.

We have started thinking about private IVF, and I know we are getting ahead of ourselves (of course we will wait to see about the injections next month). But if my consultant says no to injections, can we seek IVF privately even though we haven't tried all the NHS routes?

I know the NHS have a budget and carry out the cheapest processes first (trial and error I guess), but I also know that a lot of the time this treatment may not be the most suitable for the individual.

Does that make sense lol:dohh:

Mrs R

Just read an article on holiday re 'soft' ivf when you have PCOS. It's half the price of standard ivf and you don't have so many chemicals/hormones put in your body. The article said it was ideal for women suffering from PCOS as it works on produces a few eggs of high quality as opposed to a lot of eggs where half of them are of a low standard. It did say that there are some clinics that do it - i know you aren't in the UK but there is one clinic just outside of london - st georges house ?? i think it was called - have a google of 'soft ivf' and see what you can come up with??

Re standard Ivf - my GP said that most private clinics would treat you if you had the money as that's what it boils down to at the end of the day. Fingers crossed for you x

Cheers hun, I'm going to get googling that

The article was in Zest Magazine but it was a back issue sorry. It was very interesting though - they said the majority of people research for the IVF results and it had a timeline showing the increase in drugs to increase egg production but in doing so the quality of eggs has actually decreased - it's not a well used version of IVF but they are trying to bring in more stringent controls on drugs and use soft IVF for those suffering from PCOS as they respond really well to it? Gotta be worth a bit of research :yipee:

Hi Mrs R

When i went to Origin, my GP had to complete a referral form, not the FS at the Royal. The Royal don't really need to know you've been for private treatment, as long as you're not undertaking more than one treatment at a time ...

Anybody else have any experience of having private IVF without being on the NHS waiting list??

Also from N. Ireland and have been on private waiting list for 1 year at Royal and just got my letter last week to begin IVF treatment ...... the waiting lists at the Royal are extremely long... Origin I believe also have a waiting list. I am too old for NHS just turned 40!!

Also from N. Ireland and have been on private waiting list for 1 year at Royal and just got my letter last week to begin IVF treatment ...... the waiting lists at the Royal are extremely long... Origin I believe also have a waiting list. I am too old for NHS just turned 40!!

Hi Patboy :hi:

Good luck for your upcoming treatment. You're right about Origin having a waiting list ... and better than that, you have to pay for the privilege of going onto it!!

I got my letter about 3 weeks ago to start my NHS treatment at the Royal, and I've a self-funded treatment in the pipeline as well. The waiting is absolutely ridiculous. Like you, we've been waiting ages - since June 2008. I have my pre-treatment appointment next week and have to get in touch with them with my October cycle details ... which I'm expecting to be around the 2nd of the month. Are you starting in October as well?

:kiss:

Hi Maz good luck yourself! I'm at royal next week also for bloods appt. I should get af next week and then I send in the letter form my sept. cycle details should start D.R. end of sept. All very quick but i am glad my turn is here. nothing has happed since my m/c at xmas.

Patboy - good luck for your cycle. Is this your first cycle? Do you know if DR is with injections or nasal sprays? I'm really hoping it's injections as I can't bear anything going up my nose - I have to stand with my back to the shower head incase I get water in my face, and I can't use Sinex sprays when I have a cold, so the thought of nasal sprays twice a day really stresses me ...

Hi Mrs R

I just didn't want to wait any longer and like you haven't had the most proactive experience on the NHS. Therefore I have gone private and been referred by my GP start IVF in October if I had gone through NHS it would be more like Mar/April!

Hi Maz - Yes this is my 1st IVF cycle so a bit new to all of this and hopefully my appt. next week will answer a few queries. On the fertility friends site the N. I. girls having tx at Royal seem to be using the nasal spray? Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->