Choosing when you will start trying

pudge05

Reaction score
How did you guys decide when you would start trying? My husband finally said that we could try in the future for #3 but we haven't set a date.

As soon as dh will let me... Jan 15 is a combination of having paid off our debts/loan, some time to save, linking the idea of a Sept baby and needing a "no later than" date for me to work towards

We've had to delay our TTC several times due to illness, redundancy, and studying and were originally due to start August 2012. Now we will start January 2014, everything permitting.

Our decision is based on two main things:

1: I'm studying for a work-based qualification and September 2014 is the earliest I can take a break from it, since my employer has hired someone until then to cover part of my normal hours so I can take time out to train. Ideally I'd wait until I've finished the qualification but that won't be until September 2015 at the earliest and I'll be 34 by then, so wouldn't give birth until age 35. I don't want to wait that long for my first LO, especially as we want two.

2: We're waiting for me to see an obstetrician about a long term medical condition that could cause serious problems in pregnancy. I have that appointment next week and am hoping to be given the go-ahead after that.

I also want to lose a bit more weight (I'm not terribly overweight - about 7lb) but would like to be back well within the 'healthy' zone before getting knocked up, so aiming to lose about a stone if I can, and certainly 7-8lb before getting pregnant.

We'd really like a 2014 baby but want to avoid a depths-of-winter birthday, and especially around Christmas, so it's quite a narrow window. We'll start in January and take a break for a cycle or two around March if we haven't caught yet,

There were a few things that influenced our TTC date:

Firstly, we wanted to get married first (done!). If it were up to me, we'd have had a honeymoon baby, BUT my husband and I both started graduate school in August. My husband really wanted to wait until we were both finished, but by that point I will be 32 and he 36, and I really didn't want to wait that late to start trying. So, we compromised. I wanted to finish my first semester so I could gauge whether I thought I could handle being pregnant, working full time, and going to school full time (I would never admit it if I couldn't handle it, I want this more than anything!). So that is how we came to choose December of this year. One more AF and we're off to TTC :)

We've saved enough money and we'll be on holiday. And it will be new years.

We decided on May as my husbands recently started a new job. It gives him find to settle into it. Just seems a good time for us to start ttc then. :)

We decided somewhat randomly really.. we can live off one salary comfortably and still save, we don't care about buying a house or getting married so we have nothing really to save for which makes life easier, and we both want to have kids youngish. So we feel happy that things are in order as much as we need them to be. My pill prescription runs out in May and if I got pregnant then any baby that comes along will be born after I've finished my masters and after we've moved countries (moving in August) so we just decided to pick May as a date.

I have decided to wait as I want to lost another 1.5 stone before I get pregnant, OH has said that I can lose weight during pregnancy but I don't want to worry about what I am eating as much, so here until i hit my goal!

We are both in our final years of studying, he finishes in June and will then go to working full time in his current job which will be pay enough to cover us for my maternity leave, my masters finishes in September but is a part time online course so I could handle being pregnant during it but I would like to be finished before LO is born so I can focus on them not my dissertation. We are also very likely moving around the first week of October as that is when our contract runs out on our current place.
So we have set end of January for coming off the Pill (I think my pack will finish on the 26th) which means a LO some time after early November. Just fingers crossed that is happens nice and quickly for us.
We were TTC a year ago and I actually got a bfp my first cycle off the pill but unfortunately it was a chemical pregnancy and we then had to stop due to a flare up of a medical for me. But fingers crossed it happens that quickly for us this time with a sticky bean.

For us, it was a mixture of things. Get married, move to a new state for his job, save up some money. But the actual date came from when we would like to have the baby born (We chose spring-summer, too much stuff going on in the fall/winter), then we want to sway for a boy first, so we looked up the ideal months for a boy on the Chinese gender prediction calendar and BOOM Oct '15 was born.

Just got to weigh out all your demands for what you want out of your life, finances, this pregnancy and when the LO gets here & figure it out from there!

For me, it was convincing OH that it was time for another one. He agreed that he wanted another child, but he was dragging his heels. Then, I decided to wait until around January 14 for my job, seeing as it was a year contract, and I didn't want to be due around the time it was ending. Once we finally decided, I found out I had to have surgery on my leg, which postponed it again. I finally got my surgery date, which is January 7, 2014. We're TTC immediately following that!

We haven't picked a date yet, DH really would be happier if it was a random whoopsie and we didn't have to plan for it. But I'm hoping for spring time possibly february. I really want to avoid having a LO in September and December, so I also have a narrow window for next year. Fingers crossed, it just randomly happens for what's meant to be. :)

I wasn't interested in kids for ages, but at some point last year, in the midst of our wedding planning, my biological clock kicked in ;) We knew this year would be crazy busy (getting married twice, once in June and once in July, then moving across the state in August, and starting new jobs in September), and we wanted some time to relax and settle in to our new jobs and enjoy each other and being married. My birth control (implanon) is due out in February, so I suggested that as a start date, and my husband agreed. Because we have to wait 12 months from starting our new positions before our parental leave benefits kick in, we knew we couldn't start before December this year anyway.

The biggest factor was insurance. I won't have insurance coverage until January, so we thought we'd start trying early 2014.

My brother and his wife just had a baby, and I'd like for them to be close in age, which is not really a deciding factor, but a nice bonus.

We've had some financial changes, which have made the idea of having a baby less intimidating.

And we're going on a romantic vacation in December, and who wants to use condoms on vacation? So we thought, hey, what difference does a month make? You don't see a doctor when you're two weeks pregnant anyway.

We don't want a dead of winter baby (almost everyone in my family was born between November and January, and I don't want to go into labor in a blizzard), so we'll probably just NTNP through February, prevent for a few months, and maybe get a bit more serious from there. I'll be 31 in a few weeks, and I definitely want at least two kids, so I don't want to dilly dally for too long.

OH and I finally agreed that we are ready to start trying, and then we were told we should probaby wait until February or March of 2014 to give us time to regulate my hormones and balance everything out before we start trying. It's super frustrating to me, especially when we finally decided to take the plunge.

We decided on Dec/Jan in hopes of having a Fall/Winter 2014 baby. I have the opportunity to work during the Summer and I didn't want to deliver in the middle of Summer!

Unlike most we are excited about a Sept-January baby. Fingers crossed!

We haven't set a date yet either. It depends on our son. We're currently going through genetic testing with him. If it turns out he does have a genetic condition (looking likely) and depending on the severity we may not have another. We have to put his needs first. He is a wonderful child but very difficult. I'm not sure how we would cope with another child, especially if there was a possibility of our next child having the same problems.

I wish it wasn't this way as I would love to give Thomas a sibling but sometimes things don't happen that way :(

I'm a teacher, so ideally it would be nice to have a baby late spring and have all summer before they have to go off to daycare, hence why we'll start in late summer.

We're waiting purely because we've got one last holiday booked that wouldn't work if I was pregnant.

I don't think we would have started any earlier even without that as it feels like the right time for us for all kinds of reasons...but I found it hard to wait once we had decided on it (back in August!)
I don't mind when baby is born, if we're lucky first time it'll be October which would be nice, but any time after that is fine too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"