Chores for children

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
62038_10151850815586345_1034369153_n.png

This picture has been floating around my FB the last few days, some sharing it and saying how ridiculous it is and let kids be kids and others agreeing.

Personally I agree with the majority of the list, obviously some of it is outdated, my kids do 5 or 6 things in their age range and a few from others. It just seems natural to me to teach those skills and habits early.

R loves helping with dinner and she learns alot from it, not just how to cook but also alot with numbers and it opens up conversations about food, where its from and different cooking techniques.

Do others agree with the list?

I saw this earlier and wasn't sure how I felt about it.

I could not imagine my daughter folding anything :rofl:

My kids ( nearly 4 and nearly 2) will do probably 75% of each list in their catergory. Not because they are their specific 'chores' but because I encourage them to muck in and help out. I am not their slave and they know it.

My kids ( nearly 4 and nearly 2) will do probably 75% of each list in their catergory. Not because they are their specific 'chores' but because I encourage them to muck in and help out. I am not their slave and they know it.

Eta - should state that I do not have Maci collecting firewood nor Summer disinfecting doorknobs.

I wouldnt make my 4yo do any of that. Watering house plants :lol: we would be swimming! He tidys his toys, puts his dishes in the sink, rubbish in the bin and tidies up after himself. That's enough for me atm.

Yeah I dont treat them like chores, it just seem normal for us to all help out.

Today River cleaned the windows in the front room....well upto a certain height :haha: We sorted clothes out and she put hers in the right drawers (as far as im aware) and obviously helped tidy the toys up.

Willow wiped up some water she spilt and helped with the toys. They both clean my pole in the front room on a regular basis too :haha:

If i ask them to do something most of the time they just do it. Picking up after themselves is expected but if River had said no to cleaning the windows it wouldn't have been a issue. She seems very proud when I tell her what a good job she did though.

My DS does most of the things listed for his age, he's 2 and a half. I don't see them as chores though, just part of our everyday routine. He loves helping out

I just got a peeler specifically for River to use (really chunky rubber grip) her peeling skills must be advanced :haha:

Yes I agree with it. Rory helps out with the house work when possible and if he makes a mess he cleans it up.

I have a two year old and a three year old and on a daily basis I'll ask them to tidy up their toys and books or any other mess they might make but that's all they do really in the way of 'chores' or helping around the house, as they get older obviously they'll be asked to do more. At the moment though they both seem to love helping me polish and hoover, :lol: think it might just be a novelty but I'm not complaining!

Yep. DS is 2.5, he does everything in his category bar carrying fire wood and folding wash cloths. He doesn't have set chores, but I do housework while DS is around so he helps me, and I do think it is important to encourage children to help out around the house while they're younger, so it's not a big shock when they're older. It's how I was raised and I'm glad of it- I never felt like I was put upon and it made tidying up after myself second nature.

She does most things for her age range (except collect firewood - i do that).
and a few bits from other sections.

but i dont class that as slave labour, she just likes helping out & she may as well do something useful :thumbup: x

I feel bad Lucas has been cleaning his spills since he could stand :lol:
I think it's about right. He doesn't see them as chores atm anyway, if he sees me cleaning the kitchen he begs to help! He helps me clean the tops, dry the dishes, load the washing machine/tumble dryer, cook dinner, carry bags. I'd have him Hoover too if he wasn't scared of it :haha:

I feel bad Lucas has been cleaning his spills since he could stand :lol:
I think it's about right. He doesn't see them as chores atm anyway, if he sees me cleaning the kitchen he begs to help! He helps me clean the tops, dry the dishes, load the washing machine/tumble dryer, cook dinner, carry bags. I'd have him Hoover too if he wasn't scared of it :haha:

At a party recently Rory knocked a drink over by accident so I gave him a cloth and we cleared it up together. People were really shocked that I could be so cruel as to make a two year old tidy up :haha:

My dd 1 falls into the 8-9 catogery. No way would I get her changing a lightbulb! Lol here's the step ladders, have fun lol

There are some I agree with though-I do agree with the principle of getting kids to help, and to take responsibility for their own mess etc.

Most of those dont apply to us, we have 1 plant & he waters it, he takes his cup & plate to the kitchen, he helps in emptying the dish washer, he doesn't make the bed as it's my bed, & I go back to sleep once he goes to school. He's a freak when it comes to tidying his room, he puts everything back in place, he even goes to the living room to arrange the cushions, collect his pens & papers, etc. He wipes windows & tables, he puts back his bath toys before leaving the tub, when he plays with the ipad he puts it back on the charge when he's done.

I dont ask him, he hates the mess & he likes to help ;)

I don't see it as chores more just us all living together!! My 6 yr old made a choc brownie and bread and butter pud with very very little help, both the girls help tidy the toys and offen 'help' made dinner and as my DD2 was following me around the other day she cleaned the shower as I cleaned the bathroom and DS likes putting rubbish in the bin, taking clothes out the washing machine and cleaning spills!!!they see it as fun, not a chore (well most of it!)

Charlie helps by giving the table a wipe before and after dinner, bringing his plate through after dinner, keeps his room tidy (with gentle reminding now and then) and wipes up any spills he makes. He carries cardboard/paper to recycle bin and things like that, he likes helping out so I find easy things for him to do. He sprays and waters the plants but I need to put the exact amount of water in the can for each one or he'd drown them all :lol: We all helped out around the house when I was growing up - I didn't mind at all.

My 2yr old loves housework. She'll happily put clothes in the washing machine, polish the table, put nappies etc in the bin, put her & her wee bros dishes in the sink, make her bed etc. She even brings the wee hoover through for me :D.
I should add though that it's all the washing in the machine (daddys dirty farm overalls with DS babygrows), everything goes in the bin (toys, papers, letters the postie has just put through the letter box oh and I found the dogs food bowl in there this morning), we have had to buy a new set of dishes as they are thrown in the sink with gusto, and her bed is usually made as she's trying to hide the fact she's emptied her clothes drawers into it. :haha::haha: The hoover is her own toy Henry :D.
I can't complain, she does try her very best :winkwink: :D

Do people really disinfect doorknobs?
:haha:

Evelyns only real chores at the moment is tidying away her toys and her bath toys.

Ivys still really little.

They'll definitely always have little responsibilities and jobs to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->