Chores for children

I agree with some of the stuff, my son is 2 I ask him to tidy up his toys and put it back into the box however he doesn't listen lol oh and he likes it when I give him rubbish to throw away but a 10/11 year old deep cleaning the kitchen is a bit much, my brother is 10 and just can't imagine him with bleach or other house hold cleaning products giving the kitchen a deep clean.

Some of the things are just too much for a child on there and yea I think the child should be happy to do and want to get involved x

Some I wouldn't expect him to do: walking the dog (on his own), using the lawnmower and changing light bulbs all aren't age appropriate until they are in well their teens IMO. A few of those things I'd push aside until they were a little older too.But generally, I think a wide spectrum of chores are vital to prepare a child for adulthood in the same way education does.

All Joel really does at the moment is feed the cat, throw away rubbish, bring his dirty dishes through to the kitchen sink, wipes up spills and (very occasionally) will help tidy his toys away. He helps a little bit while I make dinner too. No way would he be able to set the table or fold anything yet.

My dd 1 falls into the 8-9 catogery. No way would I get her changing a lightbulb! Lol here's the step ladders, have fun lol

There are some I agree with though-I do agree with the principle of getting kids to help, and to take responsibility for their own mess etc.

I have an eight and a nine year old, and when I first saw the list that was the first thing I thought. They would kill themselves :haha:

My dd 1 falls into the 8-9 catogery. No way would I get her changing a lightbulb! Lol here's the step ladders, have fun lol

There are some I agree with though-I do agree with the principle of getting kids to help, and to take responsibility for their own mess etc.

I have an eight and a nine year old, and when I first saw the list that was the first thing I thought. They would kill themselves :haha:

I don't get why changing a light bulb is under 8-9 when fetching the mail is under 10-11? :haha:

I don't get why changing a light bulb is under 8-9 when fetching the mail is under 10-11? :haha:

Because the letter box is super dangeous, could have your fingers off you know!?! :haha:

I had Adam doing the dishes yesterday! It was only a few plates and a few bits of cutlery but I thought why not he likes to help, and he was in his element guddling about in the soapy water!!

I think the majority of it is perfectly acceptable. Thomas tries to do some of the 2-3 chores but often doesn't understand what we say. We are only just learning please and thank you through sign language and it's very hit and miss.

I do think a lot of it is outdated but the simpler tasks, yes why not? :)

Daniel does quite a few things from his age range and some things from older ranges.
Some things on that list even I don't do. (disinfect door knobs?????)
A lot of things, I encourage, such as tidying his toys away, putting his washing in the laundry basket, and throwing things in the bin. If you teach them these things now, it should become a habit!
I also teach him to clean up his own spillages, as I feel that teaches him responsibility.

Other chores on the list that he does, are because he LOVES to help. He has decided that it is his job to renew the toilet rolls when they run out, and to fetch the post when it arrives. He also tells me off if I load the washing machine or dishwasher without telling him!!

He has his own mini broom and dustpan and brush, and he loves to help me sweep the floors. Hoovering has to be done when he as at school or asleep as it still frightens him!!

Gosh my ohs laundry folding is a sorry sight I'd dreadful think what it would look like if I got z to do it lol

My daughter LOVES doing most of those 2-3 and 4-5 chores. She's always asking if she can wash up (i give her clean plastic crockery to 'wash' in plain water). She loves watering plants, although we only have outside plants so that's a summer job. She loves to 'fold' washing for me, i do have to re-do it after mind you, her favourite laundry job is matching socks!
Freya LOVES putting things in the bin or sorting laundry, filling the washing machine and emptying the dishwasher. I don't know where she gets it from as neither me or DH like cleaning, i doubt it'll last long but at the moment she has great fun doing what others would see as 'chores'.

Ds likes to empty the cutlery basket into the drawer, carry platesc to the kitchen, feed the cat, dust, pull clean washing out of the machine and put dirty in. Helps hoover and put away toys.
It's all things that have to be done and I think he learns while we do it.
Xx

They aren't chores per say here but things that we do to help out. Hannah does have a responsibility chart that we change weekly with things that she either needs to work on (ie sharing) or do like make her bed and she gets 5 cents for each one completed (7 responsibilities total). But often she helps out with stuff that's not on her chart. Both kids love helping to set the table at night and "help" with sweeping the floors etc.

My DDs 8 and I would never let her change a lightbulb or do laundry! God knows what state it would end up in :haha:

She cleans (ahem!) her room, puts her washing in the basket and tidies away if I ask her to.

When I was 8 I used to do washing unsupervised, pack and un pack the dishwasher, cook full but basic dinners, take my younger brothers to nursery and school.
I wouldn't put that responsibly on my own children at that age but I was perfectly capable xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->