Christmas Day tea ideas

lau86

Reaction score
SIL normally does a buffet around 7pm on Christmas Day, but has done it for a few years and wants a break. We're staying home for Christmas lunch and will have my mum etc. hubby suggested inviting them for Christmas tea which I don't mind but I won't be doing a buffet as 1) I can't be bothered 2) I'm doing a buffet for ds2 birthday on Boxing Day.
I was just going to do cheese and crackers or something and maybe pizza for the kids? But that doesn't seem very Christmassy?
Does anyone have any ideas? Recipes to use up leftover turkey would be brilliant too

turkey sandwiches with some little picnic bits like crisps, biscuits.

My personal favourite is the traditional massive box of Roses/Quality Streets :haha:.
Growing up we used to have leftover turkey with jacket potatoes, pickles, red cabbage, branston pickle, a sausage or two and some crisps (randomly), I always enjoyed that.

My christmas dinner is normally so large id never have room for a buffet aswell.
Personally id put out crisps and dip, sweeties, and maybe some picky bits but not anything needing cooked or any effort really.

My personal favourite is the traditional massive box of Roses/Quality Streets :haha:.
Growing up we used to have leftover turkey with jacket potatoes, pickles, red cabbage, branston pickle, a sausage or two and some crisps (randomly), I always enjoyed that.

This- we still do this now! X

We are rarely hungry enough for much of a tea on Christmas day, and actually have had cheese and crackers the last couple of years! If you want to make it a bit fancier for guests, you could have a cheese board with a selection of cheeses, cold meats, maybe pate if you like it, some grapes, dips with crisps and crudites, with mince pies or chocolate yule log for pudding.

We never eat lunch that early and because it's sooo huge we usually just have stuff like cheese crackers, grapes, turkey, nice crusty bread, any left over pigs in blankets etc and pick at stuff like that.

I would do as the other suggest just a few little picky bits, I don't know about you but our cupboards are bursting at Christmas so would just grab some stuff out plus leftover meats and some baps to make sandwiches

We always have turkey rolls, in theory it's the left over turkey from lunch but in reality we cook a second turkey crown Xmas day pm :haha: warburton roll, turkey, pinch of salt and some cranberry sauce- my fave meal over Christmas ha! We do the left over meat with pickles and mash on Boxing Day (but end up cooking more joints of meat too!)

We always have turkey rolls, in theory it's the left over turkey from lunch but in reality we cook a second turkey crown Xmas day pm :haha: warburton roll, turkey, pinch of salt and some cranberry sauce- my fave meal over Christmas ha! We do the left over meat with pickles and mash on Boxing Day (but end up cooking more joints of meat too!)

So you cook a separate turkey crown just to have turkey sandwiches?? Lolllllll!!

I like the idea of turkey sandwiches though, I forgot about cranberry sauce that will make them nice.

Christmas dinner we have a big turkey dinner with all the fixings. We just have a light lunch or late breakfast that day. Christmas Eve we do Chinese take-out and boxing day it's leftovers, usually made into hot turkey sandwiches.

So you cook a separate turkey crown just to have turkey sandwiches?? Lolllllll!!

Yup! We tend to buy smaller turkey crowns instead of a big turkey though to be fair lol.

If you are going along the turkey sandwiches lines- you could do toasties with Turkey, Brie and cranberry sauce- gorgeous!

You sound so much like me, we always used to have Christmas dinner at my mum and dads. But we would come home and cook a turkey crown just to make turkey and stuffing sandwiches. Even though we now spend Christmas at home we still buy two turkey crowns and cook the second one new years eve. For me you can forget the actual Christmas dinner, all i am after is the sandwiches!!

At my parents house we always have smoked salmon and prawns with nice bread for lunch, turkey for dinner and leftovers on boxing day. At home or at dh's parents we have the roast at lunch and just pick for the rest of the day!

I'm also a fan of tea officially being a giant tin of chocs :haha:

Growing up we used to have turkey sandwiches, pringles and chocolate cake for Chrstmas Day tea. For the past 9 years we have been going to MIL's for a buffet tea, but this year my parents and sister are going to come to ours for turkey sandwiches and pringles for tea on Christmas Day and I can't wait for a simple turkey sandwich :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->