Circumcision and cultural differences

Soccergurl - I disagree that circumcision is the norm in Canada. In certain areas maybe, but I know way more men who aren't circ'd and none of them have any of the issues that unfortunately happened to the men you cited. I believe the circ rate is highest in Canada in my province and it's still ~45%. Most other places are around the 30% mark. So, I wouldn't say it's the norm at all.

Soccergurl - I disagree that circumcision is the norm in Canada. In certain areas maybe, but I know way more men who aren't circ'd and none of them have any of the issues that unfortunately happened to the men you cited. I believe the circ rate is highest in Canada in my province and it's still ~45%. Most other places are around the 30% mark. So, I wouldn't say it's the norm at all.

I agree...I am in BC and most of my friend's boys are NOT cirq'd...I just know one for sure..

Im in the UK so dont have any of the social pressures or norms of circ. So perhaps it makes my points less valid. However, I wouldnt removed my sons tonsils, gallbladder or appendix "incase" he had a problem later in life.

Also in todays age people have choice, I dont agree with some poeples decsions but I have no issue with whatever decision people make for themselves or thir children, if, they are properly researched. I dont agree with doing something because thats what everyone else does or thats what my husband wants.

Whenever i need to make a major decsion i research it, from the type of birth I have, natural 3rd stage or not, co-sleeping, dummbies, breastfeeding, vaccinations, car seats, reduceing SIDS, etc etc etc. If circ was a option i would reserach it fully myself, not leave the decsion up to my OH just because he has a willy!

Once I had fully decided and researched I would talk it through with my OH, if we had differing opioions we would debate it out amoungst ourselves and i would want cited research from him.

Not everyone will agree with decisions ive made nor will i agree with others decsions, but its not so much the outcome that bothers me its the fact that people seem content to just go along with it as thats what everyone else does, or leaving it up to someone else.

As for the pain issue, how do you know there is no pain? When animals have surgery they dont react the same was we would when we are in pain, but there is no doubt they feel it (sorry for comparing our babies to animals).

But babies do react differently to pain, in some ways i do beleive its not so bad for them as they dont have pre-installed reactions, they dont tense themselves "incase" something hurts, but i have no doubt they still feel pain the same as we do.

My son had keyhole surgery at 6 weeks due to pyloric stenosis, he never murmered or complained at all, but i have no doubt he still experienced pain, after all ive had keyhold surgery done and i know the pain from that, he had scars, brusises etc all of which indicate pain, just because he didnt react or cry constnatly does not mean he didnt experience pain, he was just too young to vocalise that pain in the same way an adult would.

As for looks, does that not seem shallow? If it was such a big deal to my son i am sure he would do it when he was old enough to understand, Im sure if more parents left that decision up to their kids then the rate and normality would drop greatly.

Im not against it, if my son needed it done due to a medical reason i would have it done, my issue and post is more about the reasons people do it. I hope I came accross ok and not judgmental, Im not judging anyone, just questioning the reasoning.

Have a nice day ladies x

^^^ WSS - well said!

As for the pain issue, how do you know there is no pain? When animals have surgery they dont react the same was we would when we are in pain, but there is no doubt they feel it (sorry for comparing our babies to animals).

I don't think you should apologise for this though, human beings ARE a species of animal, its as simple of that and there should be no shame in that. Of course other species feel pain, the very idea that they wouldn't is lunacy, pain is a survival mechanism without which animals (including humans) would be losing body parts all over the place. Anyway, off topic. :) (Afterthought: like foreskins for example :haha:)

^^^ WSS - well said!

I don't think you should apologise for this though, human beings ARE a species of animal, its as simple of that and there should be no shame in that. Of course other species feel pain, the very idea that they wouldn't is lunacy, pain is a survival mechanism without which animals (including humans) would be losing body parts all over the place. Anyway, off topic. :) (Afterthought: like foreskins for example :haha:)

Hehe, just didnt want to cause offense comparing a baby to a cat or dog:haha: But animals dont complain or show pain in the same way, they are usually more reserved if anything.

^^^ WSS - well said!

Hehe, just didnt want to cause offense comparing a baby to a cat or dog:haha: But animals dont complain or show pain in the same way, they are usually more reserved if anything.

Here's a possible theory as to why other animals are often less demonstrative of their pain... 'Animals generally do not display evidence of chronic suffering due to pain; they dare not show any behavior which may be construed as weakness, as this might invite attack. In contrast, there is a school of thought hypothesizing that humans appear to have learned that talking about chronic pain may garner attention, which in turn may give emotional emollients---and even economic rewards.' :)

Its very true, we humans like nothing better than to complain esp about our health problems. A bit of sympathy goes along way lol!

i wouldn't circm. my son or any future sons!
i just dont agree with it unless it's medically needed.
in my eyes it's just the same as removing the clitoral hood.

i'm still arguing with OH about Romane, it's more a weekly thing than a daily thing now though. i've always known he'd want him circ'd, but his other son wasn't done til he was 9 (i know it can be worse when they're older) so my argument is we wait until then and he can decide himself :shrug: jai can tell him the pros and im sure he'll be aware of the cons lol if i wasnt scared of something going wrong and my son hating me forever i probably would have gotten it done by now. oh and the fact that ive asked 3 midwives, 2 paediatricians and a HV and no-one seemed to have any clue as to how i'd go about it! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->