Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee108

Reaction score
Hi!

We're having a little boy and we're thinking about circumcision. Without this turning into a debate into the pros and cons of it, I'd like those of you who had your sons in the UK to share your experiences. I've only found out that NHS doesn't cover it - fair enough - but I've been at a loss as to where to get it done, then. Having read article after article in newspapers about how 2/3rd of the boys who have circumcisions privately, end up in hospitals with complications, I'm really scared now and having second thoughts.

Has anyone had a private circumcision? Can I somehow pay the hospital to perform it because to me it feels safer? And what way of circumcision was the most comfortable for your LO?

Again, I am REQUESTING beforehand to not turn it into a discussion about the merits and demerits of doing it. I can make that decision for myself based on what information I get. I'm looking for more information and personal experiences you people have had with your sons so we can get to the right decision for us.

Thanks!

xx

I would imagine you would struggle to have it done by an NHS hospital even if you were prepared to pay for it because of the infection and excess bleeding risks which is why they wont carry it out in the first place. I think Bupa would probably do it privately.

There are plenty of scare stories out there designed to make you think in one way only, it's only news because it wants to cause controversy. I think it is amazing that you are making up your own mind. I think it would be best to research into reputable private hospitals who would do the procedure which is easy enough to do via the internet and to find reviews for private hospitals etc.

Thank you Dustbunny :)

Sunshine12, thanks I'll definitely check with BUPA. The bleeding risks are why I want to get it done as early as possible. Once baby starts crawling, I'm not going to do it - then its up to him when he's 18 or whatever (AND he can pay for it himself, :haha:) But I am definitely going to opt for Plastibell because that causes minimal bleeding and no stitching or dressing.

I can't answer your questions about where to get it done in the UK, because I'm in the US.
My son was done when he was 2 days old in the hospital using the plastibell method. I was with him the whole time, it was a quick procedure and he never showed any signs of pain or discomfort. We went home the next day, and just carefully wiped around the ring until it fell off 3 days later.

Can't speak for circumcision as I didn't have my son done but I did have to get his tongue tie snipped privately and would definitely suggest trying the Bupa hospitals and other private hospitals. I used the Spire hospital in Manchester, I had the same consultant who would have done it on the NHS. They can usually see you pretty quickly too.

My friend's oldest son had a circumcision due to problems with a tight foreskin - he was just a baby and is in Scotland. Unless there was a medical problem I wouldn't get my son circumcised but that is just my own opinion

Thank you everyone! I'll check with my mid-wife at my next appointment too - I'm sure she can suggest something too.

Thanks, Bubbles123! If I can't find anything in the London area, I'll definitely look in Man too because at least you've been there personally.

Annie77, the circumcision is for religious reasons and as far as my and DH's religion is concerned, its not optional, its compulsory so 99% chance we'll get it done. But that said, I will NOT put my child's health and safety at risk if it cannot be done safely in the UK.

I hate the thought of causing my LO any discomfort and want to avoid the pain as much as possible. Therefore although its pretty steeply priced here in private hospitals, that is one of the reasons I was looking at the plastibell method because its as pain-free as can be under the circumstances. Thanks Kel127 for sharing your plastibell experience... one more person I hear saying good things about it :)

Hmm I thought if you were Jewish and in the orthodox faith then you would be by law allowed to have your son Circumcised for cultural reasons.
My mother was Jewish and brought up in England so circumcision was common in every baby boy born then again I do not know what the policy is for non Jewish people

I am not against it at all personally

Hmm I thought if you were Jewish and in the orthodox faith then you would be by law allowed to have your son Circumcised for cultural reasons.
My mother was Jewish and brought up in England so circumcision was common in every baby boy born then again I do not know what the policy is for non Jewish people

I am not against it at all personally

You're right - they used to be done some decades ago. NHS hasn't endorsed circumcisions for quite some years now due to them not being an illness that needs treatment, or a health concern. Babies with problematic foreskins are circumcised - others are not. While I understand it puts an unnecessary burden on hospital resources to perform this procedure for parents of certain faiths, its really strange that they've provided no safe alternatives to it. And according to an article in The Guardian recently, they are running up substantial costs taking care of children who come in with medical problems caused by botched, unsanitary circumcisions. :shrug:

After much research, I chose not to have my son done. My pediatrician said that about 2/3s of his baby boys weren't done (patients) and he does believe it to be a cultural thing. I will try to find the article and let you make your own mind.

My mom gave me HELL for not having him done though. I do believe it gives them a greater risk of getting UTIs, but my son is 2 and has never had one.

I had my son done and my sons dad was in the room during it he said my son cried and it seemed painful then the skin started to grow together and the dr had to rip it back when he was about a month old...bad experience = if this is a boy, he will NOT have it done. Just thought I would tell you my experience and good luck to you either way :)

Overcomer79, you're right, its not common practice (hence the lack of safe procedures here in the UK, *sigh*) Its only for religious reasons that I am even considering getting it done - I've read up on it extensively and I didn't see a conclusive study proving it was healthier - researchers keep on changing their minds! :shrug:

Threemakefive, thank you for sharing your experience! This is exactly why I was looking for input - so I could hear both good and not-so-good personal experiences about it before I make up my mind.

Earthmama, good thing you're so decisive. I wish I could get some peace of mind and see a black n white answer for me where this is concerned.

If my husband was not on board, I might not be so sure but he supports this decision. Hubby is actually circumcised but wants our little baby boy to remain intact. We are not too worried about explaining to baby boy about the differences between him and his father...we plan to explain to him that every persons body is different and that's okay.

Overcomer79, you're right, its not common practice (hence the lack of safe procedures here in the UK, *sigh*) Its only for religious reasons that I am even considering getting it done - I've read up on it extensively and I didn't see a conclusive study proving it was healthier - researchers keep on changing their minds! :shrug:

Threemakefive, thank you for sharing your experience! This is exactly why I was looking for input - so I could hear both good and not-so-good personal experiences about it before I make up my mind.

Earthmama, good thing you're so decisive. I wish I could get some peace of mind and see a black n white answer for me where this is concerned.

I asked my OB and my son's ped and they told me there were no medical advantages to having it done. I think a lot of Americans do it because it is what is classed as "normal". We talked and studied very long and don't regret.

If my husband was not on board, I might not be so sure but he supports this decision. Hubby is actually circumcised but wants our little baby boy to remain intact. We are not too worried about explaining to baby boy about the differences between him and his father...we plan to explain to him that every persons body is different and that's okay.

Love that! I hadn't not even thought about explaining it to my DS but what a way to teach respect of differences, eh?

Whatever you do, Please pay for him to be sedated!!
I know your in the UK, here in the states 50% of circumsicions carried out the poor babies are not sedated so they feel everything. And this breaks my heart. I am very against circumsicion but its your baby and I can only hope all future circumsicions they will all be sedated.

https://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org
https://www.quran.org/khatne.htm

:)

Similar case here, only I was the one who had to get on board, as I hadn't thought of circumcision as an option. I always thought it was just done at birth. :nope: :nope:

DH is also circumcised but has suggested going against circumcision in our son's case. I see his reasoning and am finally on board. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->