Cleaning glass with no streaks

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
How do you do it?!?!

I've got a glass cleaner and all my windows are so streaky they look horrid

Even the mirror downstairs looks hideous!

What am I doing wrong?

That's what I'm using :shrug:

I swear I've just scrubbed so hard my arm is going to fall off

Try this recipe-its foolproof, I adapted it from some scaremongering book about how we are all doomed if we use any chemical stuff ever, I played with the ingredient ratios a bit and slightly changed the ingredients and found the best multi-purpose cleaner ever-it cleans glass, it cleans furniture, kitchen surfaces, mould off windows and window surrounds (and keeps it off) but it is a really mild cleaner at the same time-I even use it on our PC monitor screen and its fine. I live in a hard water area and so cleaners using bicarb just don't rinse properly but this one does and for most purposes doesn't even need rinsing.

For windows/glass coffee tables etc spray on lightly and buff up with cheap kitchen roll-the type that really is just paper and doesn't have cloth fibres in. This is the recipe for around 400ml of liquid-if you want more just double the recipe

Ingredients

1 tsp soda crystals (the cystalline type in a bag)
1 tsp sensitive or eco washing up liquid (ie surcare, ecover you can use fairy etc but I find it can leave a slight residue on some surfaces)
3 tablespoons/45ml of cider vinegar (original recipe advised white vinegar but cider vinegar works better)
400ml of hot (but not boiling) water-you must make sure you add exactly 400ml to the other ingredients as if its any less it won't be the right ratio
spray bottle
essential oils (optional)

Combine all ingredients, in order, in large plastic measuring jug, decant into spray bottle or bottles. If preferred you can add essential oils; for bathrooms and de-moulding purposes a combination of 20 drops in total of tea tree, eucalyptus and peppermint works really well and smells really nice; for kitchens and miscellanious use 20 drops total of geranium and grapefruit is a good combo. xx

I use Astonish window cleaner and I use kitchen roll.. Always works well for me...

Just wanted to add that even my in laws have adopted my cleaner recipe and they are very much into harsh chemical cleaners ordinarily. I have used several brands of glass cleaner and none of them work as well as this-its also really nice for shining up your bathroom tiles xx

Microfibre cloth! Depending how dirty the glass/mirror is it can take a lot of elbow grease, but eventually it gives a perfect finish. It helps to wash the cloth regularly as well.

I've still yet to find something that works!! I have 16 ft of glass doors at the back of my house... I can't look at them in the morning whenthe sun shines through!!

Someone told me the old fashioned pink windowlene is the best to use . Unfortunatly I have a horrid intolerence to it after an ex boyfriend poured it into my mouth! Twat!!!

Water with some vinegar then newspaper. I have glass panels windows from floor to ceiling all around the house & they're always shiny.

My suggestion is even better than vinegar and water, windowlene and anything else, honestly just try it, it takes about 30 seconds to make and costs pence-no streaks here! xx

I use Duzzit Glass wipes, you can get them in the pound shop and they're amazing. You just wipe the mirror with it and leave it and it doesn't leave any streaks.

I bought a Karcher window vac from ideal world, it's the best window cleaner i've ever used, it's so easy. I bought one, my Dad bought one and my mother in law bought one. It's a bit pricey but so worth it. There is a video of it on this link. I managed to clean all my windows, doors, conservatory and mirrors in about half an hour and there isn't a single streak, I only use soapy water.

https://www.idealworld.tv/Karcher_Rechargeable_Window_Vac_175875.aspx

I just use warm soapy water and then go over it with newspaper to make it shiny :)

Wipe clean with normal cloth & spray. Wipe off with newspaper :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->